My experience with 2 different tuners

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
Originally Posted by indyjoe
Alan is probably a great guy, but it doesn't change the fact that if you were given a great tune for free then you would probably write a pretty damn glowing thread about that company and the product. In business it's called marketing. Positive testimonials from trusted members are priceless, especially when they also negatively impact your competition.

So you're wrong. If he was given a tune for free or given a big discount then it makes a difference. Period.
He most likely paid close to full retail for the PC tune in the first place, got a discount from LET for the second tune, and then went back to PC for a re-tune.

Assuming he did not get a refund from PC, then all he should have had to pay was the re-tune fee which is roughly $100 plus the dyno time.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Originally Posted by bassn_07
Thanks jess and all of you other guys for vouching for me, it's appreciated!

I'm on the road right now and I'll post when I get home.
Anytime bro, drive safe and watch out for
Old 06-14-2009, 10:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Yo! Alan, sorry I couldn't meet-up today (Hung-over as hell) give me some more notice next time, so you can give my SL a proper beating (I need Powerchip/Kleemann ECU/TCU to hang w/your E55)
Old 06-14-2009, 10:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by indyjoe
Alan is probably a great guy, but it doesn't change the fact that if you were given a great tune for free then you would probably write a pretty damn glowing thread about that company and the product. In business it's called marketing. Positive testimonials from trusted members are priceless, especially when they also negatively impact your competition.

So you're wrong. If he was given a tune for free or given a big discount then it makes a difference. Period.
Haha...this thread has gone no where during my trip home.

This will be the last thing I write about what I paid or not paid for my re-tune from PC. I still stand to say it's none of your business and I will not be pressured into mentioning anything about what I paid or didn't pay. Most people here don't know me and the ones that do know me will vouch that I'm not a sell out.

Here's my advice to everyone that reads this thread. Take it for what it is, a opinion from a member here on MBW. When the time comes for you guys to make this decision I hope you do your due-diligence like myself. I sought advice from many members here that know exactly what options I had and they all had different advice. I took what I learned and made my own decision, like everyone should. For me, fortunately it worked out. My intentions were not to bash LET but give a true and accurate post about the final product from my perspective. Like I said, take it for what it is!

FYI... my PC tune is fricken great! I'll say it again, anyone considering a custom tune should really give PC a call. I can now say I'm fully satisfied with both the power and drivability of my car....thank you Travis and Jeremy!!!

Once again, Thank you to all the members here at MBW that gave me both knowledge and advice to help me come to my conclusion. This decision was not financially driven....PERIOD!

Have a good day Joe and I hope you move on.

Anytime bro, drive safe and watch out for
Too late.... I got a speeding ticket on the way up. Joe, I guess we could add that to the bill...right! LOL!!!

BTW... I will fully disclose this, PC gave me a free hat .
Old 06-14-2009, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
Chill out ladies....

Why is everyone so defensive? Even ChicagoX, Jerry, et. al. are not that defensive... LOL

I do believe Alan is just stating as it is.... since LET tuned my car before Alan's, I know exactly how bad the condition was. Heck, I couldn't even think straight if I were Jerry.... stayed in the oven for hours. I would've chosen to ditch the rest and gone to San Fran to enjoy the breeze j/k

Too bad. $h!t happens... it was a bad day for LET. The luck was not on their side...

But to put things into perspective, and no, I'm not suggesting anything to anyone (Alan & LET)... if LET decides to give Alan's car another shot and Alan agrees.... and if the result is indeed better than PC (regardless why and however "better" is defined, which IMO is very subjective), I'm sure Alan will post it here....

He has biases... sure, who aren't?

PS: You're on the road and you are posting? Man... you're really committed to MBWorld, aren't you? LOL
Old 06-14-2009, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Thericker
Yo! Alan, sorry I couldn't meet-up today (Hung-over as hell) give me some more notice next time, so you can give my SL a proper beating (I need Powerchip/Kleemann ECU/TCU to hang w/your E55)
No prob Sean. It was a last minute thing on my part. That's the last time I take 101 home...fricken traffic. It took me 7 hours to get home .
Old 06-14-2009, 10:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by zoink
Chill out ladies....

Why is everyone so defensive? Even ChicagoX, Jerry, et. al. are not that defensive... LOL

I do believe Alan is just stating as it is.... since LET tuned my car before Alan's, I know exactly how bad the condition was. Heck, I couldn't even think straight if I were Jerry.... stayed in the oven for hours. I would've chosen to ditch the rest and gone to San Fran to enjoy the breeze j/k

Too bad. $h!t happens... it was a bad day for LET. The luck was not on their side...

But to put things into perspective, and no, I'm not suggesting anything to anyone (Alan & LET)... if LET decides to give Alan's car another shot and Alan agrees.... and if the result is indeed better than PC (regardless why and however "better" is defined, which IMO is very subjective), I'm sure Alan will post it here....

He has biases... sure, who aren't?

PS: You're on the road and you are posting? Man... you're really committed to MBWorld, aren't you? LOL
My wife drove the last 2 hours...haha. A fricken Acura was trying to egg her on.

I'm now finished with my tune. I will say thanks to LET and I'm sorry things didn't work out differently but like you say ***** happens. PC will be the only touching my ECU from here on out, whether it's with my current E55 or a different car. They have earned my respect 100%.

Remember guys, LET offered me back a full refund but I refused the conditions and I'm willing to live with that. They made it perfectly clear what needed to be done.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Here are my dyno graphs as promised. This chart has 3 different runs, LET, PC tune, and PC tune after 82mm install. Keep in mind that on the 2nd day while tuning my 82mm TB the car was totally heat soaked by the time we finished. LET 532 and PC 528, both on the same day.

Old 06-14-2009, 11:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Timeless
He most likely paid close to full retail for the PC tune in the first place, got a discount from LET for the second tune, and then went back to PC for a re-tune.

Assuming he did not get a refund from PC, then all he should have had to pay was the re-tune fee which is roughly $100 plus the dyno time.
Just to be pefectly clear, no refunds were given on either side. I'm not that lucky.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:45 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Any air fuel ratio comparisons?
Old 06-15-2009, 12:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by jangy
Any air fuel ratio comparisons?
Jangy, I didn't even bother to ask the operator to give me a graph on my AFR's. I was there for every single run staring at the screen and the AFR's were well within what I was expecting. Autowave's operator and I had our eyes glued on that the whole time. Sorry brohta.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:26 AM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Time to see this bad boy run at the track!!!

Congrats on the numbers. I know Jeremy very well and he has some serious tuning skills at the dynometer.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Vic55
Time to see this bad boy run at the track!!!

Congrats on the numbers. I know Jeremy very well and he has some serious tuning skills at the dynometer.
Thanks Vic!

I probably won't hit the track until this fall, unless we get a really cool summer night here in Norcal.

Jeremy is definitely a stud on that computer....
Old 06-15-2009, 12:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Blue_Monster
Awesome results
Powerchip is the only company I trust with my cars brain.
Thanks Ed.

It was great seeing you again and your facility is immaculate. My little boy wanted to go back and play the racing video game.... daddy so proud!!
Old 06-15-2009, 01:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
That dyno tells the tale, the LET graph looks like crap in comparo, esp rwto... Peak rwhp means squat, it's the steady power gained under the entire curve that matters...Incredible #'s buddy!
Old 06-15-2009, 05:27 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Alan what Y pipe are you using for the 82mm tb?
Old 06-15-2009, 09:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

997TT, R8 V10+, G550, Plaid S
curious to hear more about the driveability issues you were having? i have a low end jerk that i just can't figure out ...
-replaced teh SC clutch, backing pulley, sc belt
-replaced tranny, torque converter and TCU

low end jerk/jolt is still there....
Old 06-15-2009, 09:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Zod
Alan what Y pipe are you using for the 82mm tb?
I actually just had the Renntech Airbox installed on Saturday because the adapter we got just didn't fit right. It was definitely more money than I wanted to spend but I just wanted to finish up my engine. I actually paid for overnight Saturday shipping to LA just so I had it for my long ride home. I never had a chance to dyno it but Renntech guarantees 10-12 rwhp..... we'll see. I'll definitely post up my results when I re-dyno, 2 with it on and 2 with it off. If it makes the 10-12 rwhp I'll keep it and if not.... we'll see. I'm hoping it makes as advertised. Good or bad I'll post my results and opinion with no prejudice, like some accuse me of.

So far the airbox feels good but that's just my a$$ dyno telling me that. Just to be clear before I'm accused of being a sell out or having motive to push the airbox for Renntech, neither one of runs on the dyno with or without 82mm TB was done with the airbox. James from ACG could vouch for that.

prodigymb curious to hear more about the drive-ability issues you were having? i have a low end jerk that i just can't figure out ...
-replaced teh SC clutch, backing pulley, sc belt
-replaced tranny, torque converter and TCU

low end jerk/jolt is still there....
Very similar to what I had and I hated it.

Wow, you sure went through a lot to try and fix it, me, I just changed the tune.... problem fixed.

Last edited by bassn_07; 06-15-2009 at 09:52 AM.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

997TT, R8 V10+, G550, Plaid S
Originally Posted by bassn_07
Very similar to what I had and I hated it.

Wow, you sure went through a lot to try and fix it, me, I just changed the tune.... problem fixed.
goes to show the confidence i had in the tune. however at this point i have been having doubts and will be getting together with someone that has a data logger to figure out what's going on. i may also talk to PC and see what i can work out with them...
Old 06-15-2009, 10:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by prodigymb
goes to show the confidence i had in the tune. however at this point i have been having doubts and will be getting together with someone that has a data logger to figure out what's going on. i may also talk to PC and see what i can work out with them...
You definitely have options my friend and I'm sure Travis from PC will hook you up. Maybe he'll even give it to you for free like some suggest....j/k Joe just giving you *****.

You may want to get a few people together and try to get a dyno day going with PC. Not sure if they'll do it but it'll worth a try if interested. Bottom line, Jeremy is bad a$$!!!!
Old 06-15-2009, 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by prodigymb
I have a data logger available if you're interested. I just purchased the Dashsaq with wideband and I no longer need my Nology setup. Do a search and check it out. It sells for $400 or so and if interested I'll pm you a price.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Thanks for posting all this info, very interesting. Did you go from a stock TB to a 82mm TB and only gain what looks like a max of ~18whp? Or did you already have a 80mm TB? PC made some nice gains on your car.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hammer Down
Soooo you didn't like the ML63??? sorry for the hi jack, I saw that and starting lol!
I went through three transmissions in 20,000 miles in my ML63. I absolutely loved the powerchip in the car. I gained 24 awhp and 32 awtq from doing the chip. I just didnt like the fact that I had a lemon.

Alan, Im glad your enjoying the car
Old 06-15-2009, 02:36 PM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
SL600
Originally Posted by Blue_Monster
I went through three transmissions in 20,000 miles in my ML63. I absolutely loved the powerchip in the car. I gained 24 awhp and 32 awtq from doing the chip. I just didnt like the fact that I had a lemon.

Alan, Im glad your enjoying the car
That blows, do the ML's have the 722.6, or do they come with the 7-speed? I been hearing more and more bad things about MB trannies lately. Definitely some design flaws.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CWW
That blows, do the ML's have the 722.6, or do they come with the 7-speed? I been hearing more and more bad things about MB trannies lately. Definitely some design flaws.
It had the terrible 7 speed. I had an early model, one of the first few, so that could be the reason too... not tomention these cars final assembly point is in Alabama

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: My experience with 2 different tuners