Tuning Software?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by prodigymb
that's teh old school way. the chip no longer has to be removed. our ecy can be read out and flashed over using a laptop or a handheld programmer.

i do want to help you out blackbenzz. two europe based companies that i know of that may have what you are looking for are Optican and Alientech. Alientech does a lot of diesel cars but Optican can do it all. i do not know the current pricing. let me know if you have any luck
Very true. I am aware of flashing. I stand corrected then. Thanks for clarifying prodigymb! I guess my memory is going with my age. I could have sworn it was respected member (don't wanna mention names) mentioning it. Oh well. If that's the case I will just shut up now.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:49 PM
SPONSOR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes/ BMW/ Audi
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
Thanks for all the info. One of my friends is going to try a piggy back solution and if it works for him I will probably try it too. Depends on how soon I could get someone to come dyno tune my stock ECU.
I thought you had a custom tuned LET ECU in there...
Old 06-16-2009, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
There has to be a way; otherwise LET, Renntech, Kleeman and others wouldn't be able to provide upgraded performance software flashes on ECUs; so a test mule was procured and parameter data collected, tweaked and the file stored ready to reflash onto clone ECUs...if you find out what the tuners are using to interface with the ECU then you'd need a test dyno to perform the tuning. I am going to try to get LET back in our area at some point when I have my mods on; we both know the hold up as of now...still waiting on word for the TB Y-pipe at this time no answer yet...gettin' kinda frustrated
Old 06-16-2009, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by Sunir
There has to be a way; otherwise LET, Renntech, Kleeman and others wouldn't be able to provide upgraded performance software flashes on ECUs; so a test mule was procured and parameter data collected, tweaked and the file stored ready to reflash onto clone ECUs...if you find out what the tuners are using to interface with the ECU then you'd need a test dyno to perform the tuning. I am going to try to get LET back in our area at some point when I have my mods on; we both know the hold up as of now...still waiting on word for the TB Y-pipe at this time no answer yet...gettin' kinda frustrated
I'm sure any tuner will be thrilled to hear what you plan to do.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by Max.H
I'm sure any tuner will be thrilled to hear what you plan to do.
I personally am going to have LET custom dyno tune my car, I have their stage 1 flash so when all the other mods are on I will try to get them back in town to re-tune/dyno day on a load bearing eddy current dyno. BlackBenz may need his tune before that time though. Right now the bottle neck in my project is a y-pipe we are trying to source for the TB, this has nothing to do with the tuning or LET or otherwise; we may either have to fabricate something on our own or source it from somewhere...still waiting to hear back on this part.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Why not use the HKS mushroom filter and not even bother with the Y pipe?
Old 06-16-2009, 06:58 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C55,SL55,C63
I personally am going to have LET custom dyno tune my car, I have their stage 1 flash so when all the other mods are on I will try to get them back in town to re-tune/dyno day on a load bearing eddy current dyno. BlackBenz may need his tune before that time though. Right now the bottle neck in my project is a y-pipe we are trying to source for the TB, this has nothing to do with the tuning or LET or otherwise; we may either have to fabricate something on our own or source it from somewhere...still waiting to hear back on this part.
What size y pipe do you need?
Old 06-16-2009, 07:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
it needs to connect with the factory airbox or a supplemental cf airbox suited for the TB inlet diameter...

don't want to go off topic; didn't meant to stray off the tuning that blackbenz wanted to discuss...
Old 06-16-2009, 09:49 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212

Which one are you all talking about? Does it just sit right off the TB? Wouldn't that draw hot air? I was hoping for some type of setup to use the vents just above or something. i already have the mouldings removed.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:47 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

E350 Sport & Rs6
MOTEC, MOTEC! Just do it... I know a guy who pulled 100wrhp out of a Stock Gallardo...

I bet there is 50 hidden in your car? More?
Old 06-16-2009, 11:31 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
Their website says differently - even quotes pricing for the service... but I cannot confirm first-hand that they do. Anyway, just trying to help - do as you see fit.
I appreciate the help
Thank you
Originally Posted by Fr33kn63
I would stay away from them. I used to have Minh at pitstop do a lot of work for me. He is waay expensive and overcharges like NO tomorrow! Trust me. After working with him for over 5 years on a previous project of mine he is NOT someone you want to do business with.
Unless you dont mind him wrecking your ride!(trust me...long story)
Thanks for the heads up, I dont wanna deal with any small tuners or people that have no experience with this platform either
Originally Posted by prodigymb
that's teh old school way. the chip no longer has to be removed. our ecy can be read out and flashed over using a laptop or a handheld programmer.

i do want to help you out blackbenzz. two europe based companies that i know of that may have what you are looking for are Optican and Alientech. Alientech does a lot of diesel cars but Optican can do it all. i do not know the current pricing. let me know if you have any luck
Exactly.

Thanks for the leads. I talked to Optican and they say they will build me a custom file but basically all they do is sell you a programmer to upload files that they provide. At least thats what they are telling me. They say I wont be able to tune as an end user
Originally Posted by LETMotorsports
I thought you had a custom tuned LET ECU in there...
I do, I meant factory ECU
The y-pipe from a 80mm TB will work
Originally Posted by Adam@Autoscope
MOTEC, MOTEC! Just do it... I know a guy who pulled 100wrhp out of a Stock Gallardo...

I bet there is 50 hidden in your car? More?
So expensive though. Has anyone actually ran a Motec on a mercedes? I wonder what things you would lose in a benz when going full stand alone
Old 06-17-2009, 10:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by hooleyboy
What size y pipe do you need?
looks like the 80mm TB Y-pipe will work according to Blackbenzz...we thought about having one fabbed up for us using Aluminum oval shaped piping from the stock airbox to the TB inlet which has an outer diameter of 90mm I believe (blackbenzz correct me if I'm wrong). The distance at the inlet also has to be shorter by 1/2" due to the adapter/spacer used at the Supercharger inlet.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:40 AM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Othe rpeople have said they used the 80mm y-pipe with their 82mm TB. I have not personally tested it since I don't have a 80mm y-pipe. Ideally you want everything before the 82mm TB to be bigger than 82mm
Old 06-17-2009, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Othe rpeople have said they used the 80mm y-pipe with their 82mm TB. I have not personally tested it since I don't have a 80mm y-pipe. Ideally you want everything before the 82mm TB to be bigger than 82mm
good point....I'd like to see the results on the fabbed Aluminum y-pipe for the 82mm TB; I don't have the Y-pipe for the 80mm either and don't know if it will be sold seperate from the rest of the kit. I'll need to find out. Plus we have to think about the spacer thickness that's there right now vs. that of (if any) on the 80mm kit.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:07 PM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So expensive though. Has anyone actually ran a Motec on a mercedes? I wonder what things you would lose in a benz when going full stand alone
How much is it to run Motec? And will the benefit outweight the con? Good question Ahmad.
Old 06-17-2009, 04:09 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
good point....I'd like to see the results on the fabbed Aluminum y-pipe for the 82mm TB; I don't have the Y-pipe for the 80mm either and don't know if it will be sold seperate from the rest of the kit. I'll need to find out. Plus we have to think about the spacer thickness that's there right now vs. that of (if any) on the 80mm kit.
Some of the earlier 80mm kits had adapters welded on, wehereas the newer ones are just bigger inlets from the factory. If you use the y-pipe from a 80mm kit you dont have to worry about the adapter thickness since the hoses that connect from the y-pipe to the airboxes are flexible.
Originally Posted by JamE55
How much is it to run Motec? And will the benefit outweight the con? Good question Ahmad.
Motec M800 basic box is ~$4500. Then you have to get it wired in. It is one of, if not THE best standalone ECU's in the business. You pay extra for different options, it is insane what these things are capable of controlling.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by jangy
Which one are you all talking about? Does it just sit right off the TB? Wouldn't that draw hot air? I was hoping for some type of setup to use the vents just above or something. i already have the mouldings removed.
Yes, if you remove that shield under the hood it should be able to draw in fresh air without all the restriction of the stock air boxes plus the y pipe. Which I think is dumb. Prodigy was going to try it on his car. Waiting to hear results.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:17 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
looks like the 80mm TB Y-pipe will work according to Blackbenzz...we thought about having one fabbed up for us using Aluminum oval shaped piping from the stock airbox to the TB inlet which has an outer diameter of 90mm I believe (blackbenzz correct me if I'm wrong). The distance at the inlet also has to be shorter by 1/2" due to the adapter/spacer used at the Supercharger inlet.
The part number you need is A1130940003 Its off the Ypipe itself. Hope this helps all you 82mm TB guys.

Old 06-21-2009, 11:16 AM

2003 E55
http://www.optican.net/optican.htm

I'm sure it isn't going to be cheap. Probably more cost effective to have one of their dealer/tuners tune your car. Besides, it's not the equipment that's important, it's the knowledge of how to use it effectively. I have been tuning LSX based cars for several years now with a wideband sensor and it takes a lot of work to learn how to use the software and tune VE tables, spark tables, etc. for driveability and max power and then get the power enrichment for WOT correct. You need a dyno for this part because you have to measure the effect of the changes you're making to optimize the results. When you add boost to the equation, it's more complicated because you're now dealing with MAP sensors that are made for more than standard atmospheric pressure.

Not saying you can't do it yourself, just be prepared for a long learning process. I started using FAST software and Holley Commander software years ago so I've been learning a long time. The basics for engine tuning are the same but you really have to know what you're doing or you can severely damage your engine.
Old 06-21-2009, 01:18 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by E-Diddy
http://www.optican.net/optican.htm

I'm sure it isn't going to be cheap. Probably more cost effective to have one of their dealer/tuners tune your car. Besides, it's not the equipment that's important, it's the knowledge of how to use it effectively. I have been tuning LSX based cars for several years now with a wideband sensor and it takes a lot of work to learn how to use the software and tune VE tables, spark tables, etc. for driveability and max power and then get the power enrichment for WOT correct. You need a dyno for this part because you have to measure the effect of the changes you're making to optimize the results. When you add boost to the equation, it's more complicated because you're now dealing with MAP sensors that are made for more than standard atmospheric pressure.

Not saying you can't do it yourself, just be prepared for a long learning process. I started using FAST software and Holley Commander software years ago so I've been learning a long time. The basics for engine tuning are the same but you really have to know what you're doing or you can severely damage your engine.
I have talked to them. I didn't plan on tuning it myself but have my buddies who tune high hp cars all the time tune it.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Some of the earlier 80mm kits had adapters welded on, wehereas the newer ones are just bigger inlets from the factory. If you use the y-pipe from a 80mm kit you dont have to worry about the adapter thickness since the hoses that connect from the y-pipe to the airboxes are flexible.

Motec M800 basic box is ~$4500. Then you have to get it wired in. It is one of, if not THE best standalone ECU's in the business. You pay extra for different options, it is insane what these things are capable of controlling.
blackbenzz looks like we may be able to get this underway soon, let me know if I need to get any OEM parts from the dealer or what not...thanks Hooley for the diagram.

shooting for withing the next few weeks; still waiting on calls from the installers, doing TB, filters, spacers, cams at one shot but we still need to figure out H/E setup before a pulley upgrade.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:05 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
blackbenzz looks like we may be able to get this underway soon, let me know if I need to get any OEM parts from the dealer or what not...thanks Hooley for the diagram.

shooting for withing the next few weeks; still waiting on calls from the installers, doing TB, filters, spacers, cams at one shot but we still need to figure out H/E setup before a pulley upgrade.
Since everything was sitting at the CNC shop for over a month waiting for your go ahead I went ahead and made a kit for a fellow board member. I will be shipping it out to him either tonight or tomorrow depending on what time the CNCing and welding is done. Let me know when you are ready to do yours. If you want to avoid down time you will have to buy a new sc inlet
Old 06-22-2009, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Since everything was sitting at the CNC shop for over a month waiting for your go ahead I went ahead and made a kit for a fellow board member. I will be shipping it out to him either tonight or tomorrow depending on what time the CNCing and welding is done. Let me know when you are ready to do yours. If you want to avoid down time you will have to buy a new sc inlet
Sounds good bro...def let you know. What is the person you're shipping it to using for the Y-pipe issue? The 80mm setup? Do we have any restrictions going this route vs. say Renntech 82mm airbox or custom fabbed Aluminum Y-pipe?
Old 06-23-2009, 08:05 AM

Mercedes C230 Kompressor Coupe 2003
Hi anybody have service software to reset merc c230 kempressor ECU tired of paying these dealers so much money just to reset service intervals
Old 06-23-2009, 09:44 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63

No problem, If you need anymore just send me a PM. I might do some testing with the SRT8 throttle body with a mounting custom plate. I'm not sure what the wiring on the SRT8 TB is but they look kinda similar to the MB TB. Not to mention the STR8 one can be had on the cheap.