Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 08:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55 then E63, now back to an E55
High Flow Cats.....

Any info on these ?
Cost - Benefits - Do they replace Primaries or Secondaries ?

Thanks
Old 06-15-2009, 08:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55 AMG
I have Vadim's shorty headers, mid-section. and 200 cell race cats. I have the race cats where the primaries went and no secondary. I'm also running his x-pipe and kept the resonator. This setup definietly makes power and let's the car breathe. With that said there's no replacement for the power long tubes give, at least properly tuned ones. JMO.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:55 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
Originally Posted by bassn_07
I have Vadim's shorty headers, mid-section. and 200 cell race cats. I have the race cats where the primaries went and no secondary. I'm also running his x-pipe and kept the resonator. This setup definietly makes power and let's the car breathe. With that said there's no replacement for the power long tubes give, at least properly tuned ones. JMO.
Random Technology make a nice hiflow cat.

Alan, I'm with you on the properly tuned long tubes. After some research I just found out that every header available for my car that has a merge collector design has the wrong firing order, For me this explains alot of question I has about loss of power up top due to the headers inability to scavenge. A proper long tube header should fire in a clockwise or counter-clockwise pattern pending how you look at it. Not in a random diagonal cross pattern.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
so, does it make sense to have headers and 200 cell race cats or just 86 the cats all together and just go with the long tubes?
Old 06-15-2009, 11:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55 AMG
Chormikey tried with both cats and cat-less. He felt that his cat-less exhaust didn't compensate enough up top to justify for the power he loss on the low end.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Chormikey tried with both cats and cat-less. He felt that his cat-less exhaust didn't compensate enough up top to justify for the power he loss on the low end.
Please explain a bit more in depth, lost both low & top end ?
Old 06-15-2009, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by hooleyboy
...After some research I just found out that every header available for my car that has a merge collector design has the wrong firing order, For me this explains alot of question I has about loss of power up top due to the headers inability to scavenge. A proper long tube header should fire in a clockwise or counter-clockwise pattern pending how you look at it. Not in a random diagonal cross pattern.
that's one of the many reasons i went with chris at floored fab!

my system was designed with secondary cats in place and there is such thing as too little back pressure. i didn't try tuning the car with the cats removed so there could have been some power left un tapped.

Trending Topics

Old 06-15-2009, 11:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63.... & Thx

What would happen if I replaced my primary cats w these ?
(Either Random Tech or the ones from Victor/Vadim)
Factory piping until X-pipe in place of resonator and Meisterschaft axle-back....
Emissions don't matter - power, sound, gas mileage -- what do they do ?

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...akes-best.html
Old 06-15-2009, 11:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
So which company does make the best quality cats?
Old 06-16-2009, 12:13 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
So which company does make the best quality cats?
Most companies buy their cat cores from the same supplier and then slap their name on it. Its whats on the inside that counts. Its really comes down to size, cells, and construction. Your going to need to find out the type of substrate being used compaired to cell count and over all size.

You can get a 200 Cell cat but if its to long that it can end up hurting you. Or you can get a 300 cell cat, but if its to short it can also hurt you. Cats are complicated. thats what alot of company's base them on engine size to make the process a bit easier.

If the OP PM's me I can get them a set of nice hiflow cats and a far less price than any name brand out there and have them be just as good. If you go with Random Technology cats expect to pay $600 for a set. That way to much.