Screw The Lexus!! I Bought The Wife A GTR

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 12:00 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
20’ G63,18' GT3, 17' NSX, 16' Cayenne, 09' GTR, 05' E55
Originally Posted by Rock
Hey guys,

I have been looking to replace my wife's IS350 with an ISF because I was thoroughly impressed with the Lexus after a test drive. I was actually about to sign on the doted line when.... WTF.................. God himself intervened and told me to purchase a GTR.

I was not going to post any pictures of the car until it was completed but I got called-out by a moderator (who will remain nameless) because I recently changed my sig and listed a GTR.

Here are a couple of photos of my new car and some of the modifications that are waiting to be installed.

I do need to give a special "thank you" to a moderator (who will remain nameless) that was extremely instrumental in assisting me negotiate a very fair purchase price as well as hooking me up with some must-have parts.

MODS WAITING!!!

congrats Rock, I knew your sig looked familar on the GTR forums...Vic said great things about his GTR and I pulled the trigger 2 weeks ago as well. I cant wait to modd also, Ive got 500 mi on the car now...getting closer to adding some goodies...
Old 06-24-2009, 12:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Congratz Rock! Loved the Po-Po story, something I would've done. I agree you def bought heaps of goodwill w/Pigsters N' future delinquent driving episodes.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'15 E63S wagon
Originally Posted by Vic55

As for the Cobb, they all come with a 91 oct tune for a stock car (stage I) and a modded car (intake, catback) (Stage II). Its preloaded into the handheld.
Makes sense, good to know. Thx.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:01 AM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by bgee55
congrats Rock, I knew your sig looked familar on the GTR forums...Vic said great things about his GTR and I pulled the trigger 2 weeks ago as well. I cant wait to modd also, Ive got 500 mi on the car now...getting closer to adding some goodies...
What up B!! Another converted member

If you have 500 on it, do the Cobb, I did. I never wait for break in on any of my cars to mod them. I push them hard from day one!!
Old 06-25-2009, 12:44 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
20’ G63,18' GT3, 17' NSX, 16' Cayenne, 09' GTR, 05' E55
What up B!! Another converted member

If you have 500 on it, do the Cobb, I did. I never wait for break in on any of my cars to mod them. I push them hard from day one!!
Wattup Vic...Yes, Cobb is coming...most of the other stuff in near future as we get closer to sema
Old 06-25-2009, 03:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09' C63 AMG
Nice car bro! I always loved the GT-R, the ONLY reason I didnt get it was because of the whole tranny issue when you launch too many times and the fact that they dont cover it when it blows!! BUT it truely is an amazing car, good luck.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 E63S wagon
What's the story on the GTRs and the delimited performance unless your GPS confirms that you're at a registered "track"? Is this just a Euro/Asia thing, or is it true here in the US? I'm quite obviously no GTR expert and haven't cared to surf the GTR forums to find out...but I am interested in the car. Does the COBB tuning solve that problem if it exists?

RE: the tranny "issue"...aren't launches a great way to kill any transmission on any car? And why would Nissan warranty repair a tranny that has been abused? You could launch the thing all day long for 3 years during warranty coverage and demand free transmissions any time it failed if they covered it. Not starting an argument.

Vic what are the biggest "issues" with the GTR in general that you know of from experience owning one?
Old 06-25-2009, 06:38 AM
Administrator

Received 512 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
The transmission thing is overblown. Yes, if you launch any 500hp car at 5,000 RPM multiple times, something is going to give. The beautiful thing about this car is that there really is no need to launch it. It is so viciously fast out of the gate by just activating your right foot that, "Launch Control" is really just overkill.

I installed the Challenge Y-pipe today and had a Cobb custom tune installed. From the seat of my pants I have to believe that this GTR will put the hurt on my K3 E55 with little trouble.

BTW, I was in the shop today getting a better view of how Nissan put this car together. Very impressed!! They cannot be making much money at the price this car is sold for.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:59 AM
Administrator

2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
You know what they say about how bad news travels right? That is pretty much how you would sum up the tranny problems with the GT-R; everybody only hears the bad.

As Rock said- the trannys that blew were clearly an abuse issue and anybody who launches their car 100 times or more at stupid high rpms is begging for that to happen. Of course there are few cases where the tranny or a part related went bad on owners cars that claim they didnt track or launch it and I guess thats just bad luck but one will really never know how those certain owners drove their cars. Post Feb 2009 delivered cars all have new software which reduces the launch rpms to circa 3k and Nissan will cover all claims. If you owned a car prior you could bring it in for the free software upgrade.

The Cobb doesnt clear any black box tracking but that too is overblown (black box). Im sure if you did major damage to your car (GTR), the factory rep would look at the box to see how the engine was driven just like any other rep would for an engine replacement with a BMW or Benz. There just isnt a black box with Benz of Bimmer but anyone can forensically determine what happened. I just took my car in for service with the Cobb and dealer said nothing, did nothing but perform the service. I was upfront with them and they were cool! As for the black box delimiting performance... I hit 160+ every day at least 2-3 times on the days I drive to work.

Ive now reached 2500 miles in 4 months with this car. I love it--- fantastic dig racer that with mods (Cobb and GT570 from HKS) becomes a force to reckon with... Launching this thing is shocking, I thought AMG's were crazy but this car is better. The transmission clearly is the advantage along with AWD from a dig. With a few breathing mods and the Cobb like what Rock did the car jumps another level and if you go to the GT570 level the gains are insane. There are many cars that have gone past the GT570 level. Most GT570 cars run high 10's and trap right around 129-130 but the car also moves much better from a roll which I felt is its achilles heal when in stock format.

Are there things wrong with the car? I would not say wrong but there are complaints to all cars and this is no different. Fit and finish is above Nissan par but its not the solid feel you get in a Benz or Bimmer. The paint is not as good but good enough IMO. No memory seats, no auto off headlights, paddle shifters dont move with the steering wheel, no lateral seat adjustments... small things like that come to mind but are easily overcome with the driving experience. I love driving cars and driving fast--- small luxury creature comforts are overcome by performance in my mind. What is uncomfortable and bothersome for some doesnt really affect me. It all depends on the user. For the money its hard to beat (if you get a good deal LOL).
Old 06-25-2009, 04:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
E55

Ive now reached 2500 miles in 4 months with this car. I love it--- fantastic dig racer that with mods (Cobb and GT570 from HKS) becomes a force to reckon with... Launching this thing is shocking, I thought AMG's were crazy but this car is better. The transmission clearly is the advantage along with AWD from a dig. With a few breathing mods and the Cobb like what Rock did the car jumps another level and if you go to the GT570 level the gains are insane. There are many cars that have gone past the GT570 level. Most GT570 cars run high 10's and trap right around 129-130 but the car also moves much better from a roll which I felt is its achilles heal when in stock format.

Ahh crap! Not the digs vic.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 E63S wagon
So if I'm understanding correctly, the delimited GPS positioning crap is just that...not true? The rumor was that the GTR would be greatly hampered unless GPS tracked it at a registered racetrack. Sounded fishy to me.

Yes this car is very appealing and the modification simplicity is even more appealing. The fact you don't need to drop $10K to make it a total monster steps it up a notch in my book.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:24 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by mugatu22
So if I'm understanding correctly, the delimited GPS positioning crap is just that...not true? The rumor was that the GTR would be greatly hampered unless GPS tracked it at a registered racetrack. Sounded fishy to me.

Yes this car is very appealing and the modification simplicity is even more appealing. The fact you don't need to drop $10K to make it a total monster steps it up a notch in my book.
That GPS thing is a rumor and only supposed to occur in Japan... all is good in the states. Check this board for all kinds of info on the GT-R:

Nagtroc

Retail mods for 570-600 hp is 5700 msrp (you can get cheaper) plus install... gains are amazing and you are not even tapping into the engine or the turbos to do this...
Old 06-26-2009, 12:41 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cl65 AMG evotech, cay turbo evotech, evo 9 (490hp)
Originally Posted by TopGun32
congrats on the GTR..

Over the weekend I spent about an hour just "youtube"ing the GTR against the ZR1,Z06, 997 TT, CL65 and bunch of other cars in Russia. Just amazing!
That CL belongs to me hope you enjoy the vids on youtube

PS: R35 gtr is a great and fast sportcar for every day, could be pretty (to) fast for the wife, but anyway enjoy the ride.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 CLS63 030
Dave, wow man that is classic " Hey honey lets get this one, look at the nice red paint"

LOL, ISF hahahaha
Old 06-29-2009, 05:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 E63S wagon
Check this board for all kinds of info on the GT-R:

Nagtroc
Ooooh greeeat!!! Another web forum to burn hours of my life away reading

Thanks for the info Vic.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
man, I'd be very leery of modifying a GTR. Lord knows I wouldn't want to give them any reason to void the transaxle warranty.