Sponsored by:

Help smoking out badges and reapplying?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Prius because I'm green
Help smoking out badges and reapplying?

So normally I debadge a car but never have I re badged it. I'm going to paint my E55 AMB badges black and put them back on. Does anyone know what adhesive is good to use? I was trying to apply think magnets to the emblems and put them back on that way. Makes it easy to detail the car by removing them but the magnets I find don't stick to the car. I'd prefer to find a magnet that works but the last resort would be just gluing them back up. Any suggestions anyone?
Old 07-02-2009, 06:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 Mercedes E55
3m tape would work but would be a pain to trim tape around all the badges.

Probably easier to just buy new badges on ebay and paint those.

As for magnets doubt anything would be strong enough at that size.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:43 PM

Thanks, I was just trying to be lazy and quick. No way am I spending $80 for the AMG and $60 for the E55 from a dealer. What a joke.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:51 PM

2006 Mercedes E55
i hear yah... i want to do the same but also don't want to pay the price of new badges.

Get a group buy going
Old 07-02-2009, 06:53 PM

Well ebay is a lot cheaper. Not sure how cheap they actually are but it shows them for less than $10. I just hate buying things I can't see first.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:29 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
This is what you need to do. Go to a dealership and ask them who pin stripes their cars. The people who do that have a machine that they use to gold plate badges, they can also plate the plastic badges black. IMO that is the easy way to do it without removing them. You may also want to plate/plaint the v8 kompressor bedges on the fender too, or it is going to look funny if those are chrome and the rear ones are black.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
If you want to reuse your emblems then use this (what the mfgs use) It's not as hard to trim as you might think (xacto knife)

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...beV0141B40KNgl

Or, just pick up some of this:
http://www.autogeek.net/3m-auto-tape.html

Yeah, MB's prices on OEM badges are crazy. Not sure how good a quality the Taiwan/HK/China eBay replicas are, though.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by shardul
This is what you need to do. Go to a dealership and ask them who pin stripes their cars. The people who do that have a machine that they use to gold plate badges, they can also plate the plastic badges black. IMO that is the easy way to do it without removing them. You may also want to plate/plaint the v8 kompressor bedges on the fender too, or it is going to look funny if those are chrome and the rear ones are black.

Awesome thanks for the info. No one has yet suggested this and Mercedes wouldn't even direct me that way. Not until I called asking about it and they are calling for a price for who they use. The side emblems are going to be the same or replaced with the 5.5amg side emblem I have. Theyw ill be powder coated black as well. Mercedes has enough chrome on the car I am trying to dim it down.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by 220S
If you want to reuse your emblems then use this (what the mfgs use) It's not as hard to trim as you might think (xacto knife)

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...beV0141B40KNgl

Or, just pick up some of this:
http://www.autogeek.net/3m-auto-tape.html

Yeah, MB's prices on OEM badges are crazy. Not sure how good a quality the Taiwan/HK/China eBay replicas are, though.

That's what I have been looking for. The regular 3m tape just wasn't as good. One Mercedes just told me a little over $100 for the AMG and $70 for E55. What a joke!
Old 07-02-2009, 09:44 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C55,SL55,C63
I used 3M spary adhesive 90 strength and it worked great that was over a year ago and many car washes and very hot days later its still working.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:26 PM

2013 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by Mikesamg
So normally I debadge a car but never have I re badged it. I'm going to paint my E55 AMB badges black and put them back on. Does anyone know what adhesive is good to use? I was trying to apply think magnets to the emblems and put them back on that way. Makes it easy to detail the car by removing them but the magnets I find don't stick to the car. I'd prefer to find a magnet that works but the last resort would be just gluing them back up. Any suggestions anyone?
CEC marks the old ones before removing them with tape then takes off the old badges. Then they buy new factory badges and have them painted black at the paint shop and re-installed the new painted badges.