W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Ebay E55 "Power Intake Filter" - True gains or misleading advertising?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2009 | 12:17 AM

Dodge Challenger Hellcat Widebody, Porsche Cayenne, International Scout
Ebay E55 "Power Intake Filter" - True gains or misleading advertising?

Tonight I was on Ebay and I came across a supposed E55 "Ram Filter" which claims gains of 12+ HP/TQ gains for our cars. I was wondering if any of our resident technical experts could tell me if this is legit. It just doesn't seem like an accurate claim, but I wanted to get some thoughts from the forum....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Merce...lenotsupported

Are these claimed gains possible, or is it simply false advertising?
Old 07-05-2009 | 12:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Doesn't Sean (thericker) have this same type of setup? I thought the foam filters mounted directly to the back side of the openings near the grill? If it, Sean claims they made a significant difference.
Old 07-05-2009 | 04:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
you have to take into account that thericker also extensively modified his airbox to get the gains he claims. totally different platform than the e55 and it's not a fair comparison imho. if someone mounts something like this, it sure would be nice to see some dyno/track comparisons.
Old 07-05-2009 | 10:48 AM

CLS55 AMG 030
Originally Posted by dlav06
Tonight I was on Ebay and I came across a supposed E55 "Ram Filter" which claims gains of 12+ HP/TQ gains for our cars. I was wondering if any of our resident technical experts could tell me if this is legit. It just doesn't seem like an accurate claim, but I wanted to get some thoughts from the forum....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Merce...lenotsupported

Are these claimed gains possible, or is it simply false advertising?
By itself I'd bet money you'll lose power drawing in 140degree ambient engine compartment air.
Old 07-05-2009 | 11:20 AM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL600
Originally Posted by JustPete
By itself I'd bet money you'll lose power drawing in 140degree ambient engine compartment air.
Why can't someone design one of these things that goes up in the grill area, or behind the bumper, so it takes in air in front of the radiator not behind it?

I guess changing filters would be a PITA, but performance-wise it would be the best of all worlds.
Old 07-05-2009 | 11:26 AM

CLS55 AMG 030
Originally Posted by CWW
Why can't someone design one of these things that goes up in the grill area, or behind the bumper, so it takes in air in front of the radiator not behind it?

I guess changing filters would be a PITA, but performance-wise it would be the best of all worlds.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...t-results.html