W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement tire issue, one or two? America Tire company sucks!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Prius because I'm green
Replacement tire issue, one or two? America Tire company sucks!

Ok first off I only buy tires from tirerack they are freakin amazing. The other day while cleaning my tires I noticed two small wires coming out of the side wall. I have Continnental Contiact sport 3 on my E55. They are brand new, I blew out a tire and damaged all four rims this last February. So I am a little sensitive about having it fail on me and having to buy another brand new rim and wheel so soon. I take it in as Conti suggest and one of the dealers that can fix it is Americas Tire Company aka Discount tire aka POS! They tell me I have to pay a prorated price for the tire because 2/32 of an inch is worn down. It would cost $115 for that tire. No way am I paying for it when it's not my fault it has to be replaced so soon. Turns out when I finally get a hold of Tirerack they call BS and read the warranty to me which states within the first 12 months or 2/32 of an inch or whatever comes first the tire will be replaced. So good job in trying to rip me off Discount tire! Please everyone help me out in flipping them off when driving by and by never giving them business.

Ok enough rambling.

I understand all E55's have speed sensors in the back tires. If it senses one spinning too fast it can cause the ESP to have issues and turn the ESP light on. I was always told do not run different size tread or tires in the back. I know the beast wears one tire out more than the other. But would getting a new tire be that much of a factor being 2/32 inch of tread more? Mercedes says don't do it with this car. Conti will not replace both even though I explain that it's their fault for me having to put a new tire on causing the tread difference.

Last edited by Mikesamg; 07-08-2009 at 06:34 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:00 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
C63S past: E90 M3 6M, w211 E55
dont worry about the slight difference in rolling diameter. Changing staggered sizes (including upsizing) will always yield slightly different rolling diameters from stock configuration. Even using different tire companies will change rolling diameter. Just don't do anything severe like having a 1/2"+ difference.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
Been there done that. Next time, ask for the warranty T&C. I personally never believe anyone if what they say is not to my favor

But I usually buy tires from America's Tire Co. They do price matching relatively easy. I just need to find an unknown online tire dealer with the cheapest price, print the check-out page and they'll match the OTD price. Plain and simple... plus they have the lower-tiered road hazard warranty for free.