Sponsored by:

swapping to a 180 thermostat

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 02:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 s560 sedan
swapping to a 180 thermostat

Just put a 180 MHP thermo in the car and the check engine light kicked on today . Is it possible its from the thermostat ??
Old 07-09-2009, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
lol. its b/c its an MHP product

haha

what is the CEL/code? maybe the engine is too cold?
Old 07-09-2009, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 BLK/BLK E-Double Nickel.
Originally Posted by malakasnyc
Just put a 180 MHP thermo in the car and the check engine light kicked on today . Is it possible its from the thermostat ??

how many bars are on the temp on the cluster?
Old 07-09-2009, 03:08 PM

2019 s560 sedan
Originally Posted by TopEndS62
how many bars are on the temp on the cluster?
its still at the half way point so it seams normal . would click up a bar but under hard acceleration it would go down again .
Old 07-09-2009, 03:11 PM

2019 s560 sedan
Originally Posted by jturkel
lol. its b/c its an MHP product

haha

what is the CEL/code? maybe the engine is too cold?
Why ??? Its a stock AMG thermo just altered .
Old 07-09-2009, 03:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
yes, it's possible and likely...especially if it happens during cold start mode.

lol, how is mhp still around? is it cause most of the 63 guys are newbies to the mb community? at least it will be hard for that hack andy to ever touch another mb platform again with as many problems as he's caused.

imho, andy is the new malcom...buyer beware!!!

Last edited by chiromikey; 07-09-2009 at 03:16 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

pm pte if you want your thermostat modified properly.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
It's an inside joke about MHP my friend.

NO ONE, and I mean NO ONE around here trusts that con-artist.

See yeah
Old 07-09-2009, 03:23 PM

2019 s560 sedan
Originally Posted by chiromikey
yes, it's possible and likely...especially if it happens during cold start mode.

lol, how is mhp still around? is it cause most of the 63 guys are newbies to the mb community? at least it will be hard for that hack andy to ever touch another mb platform again with as many problems as he's caused.

imho, andy is the new malcom...buyer beware!!!
" Whos Malcom "

I wanted a thermo and i seen a few peeps had from MHP so figured id grab one . Well maybe its not the thermo ? Who knows .
Old 07-09-2009, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

" Whos Malcom "

I wanted a thermo and i seen a few peeps had from MHP so figured id grab one . Well maybe its not the thermo ? Who knows .
malcom was the biggest liar and con artist around...until andy showed up.

it IS likely your thermostat. contact pte and he can enlighten you more about modified theremostats and maybe get you one that works properly.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:52 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
07 RS4 sold, R53 Cooper S, 2008 Cayman S, 2012 GTR
We stock the PTE thermostat, so you can either give us a call or patrick a call. either way your getting a top notch product from PTE.

Have you had a chance to pull the fault code?
Old 07-09-2009, 03:58 PM

2019 s560 sedan
Originally Posted by James@ACGSD
We stock the PTE thermostat, so you can either give us a call or patrick a call. either way your getting a top notch product from PTE.

No will do it tomorrow .
Old 07-09-2009, 04:06 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
E550
Originally Posted by James@ACGSD

How much for the PTE thermostat? Will it work on a SL55?
Old 07-09-2009, 04:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Well, I see that we have most of the usual suspects of MHP bashers in here...

Guys, a bit ironic I know, but the MHP t-stats ARE PTE t-stats; Patrick provides them to MHP. In fact, IIRC, Patrick recently posted that MHP and VRP (who he both supplies t-stats to) were both professional and reputable to deal with, in his experience.

We're all certainly entitled to our personal opinions of vendors and individuals, both on and off of the forum - that said, when those opinions become so heated that they interfere with the sharing of sound advice, they dampen the utility derived from the community in the first place... which is a shame.

To the OP - you appear to already realize this, but no one can truly help you unless/until you pull the code(s) that triggered the CEL. It seems too highly coincidental that the t-stat install didn't directly or indirectly cause the issue, but no way to know until the code(s) are read. If you get a variant of a "temp too-cold" code, you should probably contact Andy (or perhaps PTE directly) and have your modded t-stat checked out. Best of luck in resolving your issue.

Last edited by c32AMG-DTM; 07-09-2009 at 04:51 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
but no one can truly help you unless/until you pull the code(s) that triggered the CEL.
exactly what i said lol
Old 07-09-2009, 05:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

according to andy's early posts, he was modifying his own thermostats...apparently he just meant that in the same way he meant he was doing all the tuning...lmao. i guess that was just another one of his lies.

btw, i wouldn't have even commented on that scumbag if it weren't for me getting pm's about him bashing me for no reason on the ad site.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

according to andy's early posts, he was modifying his own thermostats...apparently he just meant that in the same way he meant he was doing all the tuning...lmao. i guess that was just another one of his lies.
Can't comment on the t-stat thing - IIRC, Andy posted a couple times that he didn't care to publicly divulge who supplied MHP's products to them (can't blame MHP for that - it's pretty standard); other times, he was more open about it (e.g. how the 63 CF airboxes are all made by Carbonio - at least until Renntech's new box I suppose). Since Andy told me that MHP's t-stats are/were PTE-made, which Patrick seemed to corroborate recently in a post here, I felt that info was pertinent to share in this thread, given the above rantings.

btw, i wouldn't have even commented on that scumbag if it weren't for me getting pm's about him bashing me for no reason on the ad site.
I realize (as I'm sure many do) that you and Andy didn't get along during most of his tenure here; now that he's banned from MBW, you (and anyone else, really) have free reign to post negative commentary which he has no means to address, refute, or reply to. It seemed like his comments on AD bashing you were all cut-and-paste replies from info posted elsewhere - apologies if that presumption was/is incorrect.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

...It seemed like his comments on AD bashing you were all cut-and-paste replies from info posted elsewhere - apologies if that presumption was/is incorrect.
i appreciate your apology because that presumption is definitely incorrect. his replies were cut-n-paste...except they were comments made by another accurately informed member. however, andy with his infinite stupidity assumed it was me under another name. unlike him, i don't have the need to create fake identities or screen aliases to make false claims or back my own information.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
pm pte if you want your thermostat modified properly.
+1
Old 07-09-2009, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i appreciate your apology because that presumption is definitely incorrect.
Fair enough.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I still have one of PTE's thermostats sitting in my trunk. Ive been meaning to install it but i cant fu*kin figure out how to do it!
Old 07-09-2009, 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 SL55
Originally Posted by lauer87
How much for the PTE thermostat? Will it work on a SL55?
Don't recall the cost but it will work on any 55K engine including the SL55. I have one on my SL55.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab

Okay c32AMG:

I have to ask, why have you been defending this scum bag from day one?

Have you personally bought from him with good results?

He, MHP/ANDY has left a trail of unsatisfied customers with no recourse, please check our threads if you do not remember.

Usually you have been open minded on the C32 site, but I REALLY am curious why you would defend this lovely individual

Awaiting a response

See yeah
Old 07-09-2009, 08:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MRAMG1
Okay c32AMG:

I have to ask, why have you been defending this scum bag from day one?

Have you personally bought from him with good results?

He, MHP/ANDY has left a trail of unsatisfied customers with no recourse, please check our threads if you do not remember.

Usually you have been open minded on the C32 site, but I REALLY am curious why you would defend this lovely individual

Awaiting a response

See yeah
Hey there, MRAMG1. I respect your opinions, and value your feedback - you're an excellent resource on MBW, and frequently enjoy reading your posts. I like to think I'm fairly open-minded on all of the sites I frequent... including this subforum; so "agree to disagree" there.

I suppose I take issue with ill-informed "bashing for the sake of bashing" - as evidenced by the commentary at the onset of this thread. When members are posting the equivalent of "it's the MHP t-stat, I'm sure that thing's junk" - I take issue with that, since I know the MHP t-stat is a PTE t-stat, who IMHO builds a high-quality product. Almost laughable that members are recommending to ditch the MHP t-stat and source a PTE one instead... since they're the same thing. It'd be like saying "the MHP M156 CF airbox is junk, buy the VRP M156 CF one and you'll be happy" - it's the same exact product! So, "let's advise members to waste money because we don't know any better and are compelled to continually bash 'insert vendor here'" doesn't resonate well with me... YMMV.

On the whole MHP topic, people are letting their emotions cloud their judgement, and in this case specifically it wasn't going to help the OP one bit. Perhaps you don't see the distinction that I'm defending PTE's product, regardless of the vendor who sold it... it was fairly obvious to me, but hey that's me. That and honestly, I get weary of every time anything is mentioned about MHP, even since they've been banned, there's about a half-dozen crusaders who post like a broken record. Okay, okay - we got it. Really. You don't like Andy; it's beyond crystal clear at this point.

As for MHP's "trail of unsatisfied customers" - I'm surprised that you don't know that I'm one of them; MHP's tuning ultimately didn't deliver the goods for my C32, and I'm awaiting my refund for the tuning... been waiting awhile, in fact. So, if anyone had reason to throw MHP to the wolves, it'd be me - yet I see no reason to, especially since they're banned around here anyway.

I find Andy to be a polarizing personality - no two ways about it. I think his knowledge base of tuning/modding info was a valuable asset to the forum, but his delivery of such info (and inability to "play nice with others") was his fatal flaw. He also appears to suffer from the "say 'yes' first, figure out how to deliver later" sales method at times, which can (and, at times, did) blow up in his face.

If you follow the C63 section, there are a handful of very satisfied MHP customers - Andy had a C63 development mule at his disposal, and I find these two factors to be very much related (IMHO).

I'm not sure I follow your "no recourse" comment... AFAIK, Jakpro received a refund after being dissatisfied, as did blkonblkclk, as did a few others? In fact, I'm the only one (that I'm aware of) who's still awaiting payment.

Finally - as an observation, I've noticed that you specifically have a proclivity toward absolute statements in your posts "no one trusts that scum bag, everyone and I do mean everyone loves their XYZ tune, etc." With your years' worth of experience with mods and tuning, I'd expect more measured responses - knowing full well the many shades of grey that come with this territory... is it just a "heart on my sleeve" thing?

Hope you have a pleasant evening; talk to you later my friend.

"Always and never are two words you should always remember never to use."

- Wendall Johnson
Old 07-09-2009, 09:28 PM

2019 s560 sedan

Guys, a bit ironic I know, but the MHP t-stats ARE PTE t-stats; Patrick provides them to MHP. In fact, IIRC, Patrick recently posted that MHP and VRP (who he both supplies t-stats to) were both professional and reputable to deal with, in his experience.

We're all certainly entitled to our personal opinions of vendors and individuals, both on and off of the forum - that said, when those opinions become so heated that they interfere with the sharing of sound advice, they dampen the utility derived from the community in the first place... which is a shame.

To the OP - you appear to already realize this, but no one can truly help you unless/until you pull the code(s) that triggered the CEL. It seems too highly coincidental that the t-stat install didn't directly or indirectly cause the issue, but no way to know until the code(s) are read. If you get a variant of a "temp too-cold" code, you should probably contact Andy (or perhaps PTE directly) and have your modded t-stat checked out. Best of luck in resolving your issue.
thats what i was thinking since the box was originaLLy shipped from florida

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: swapping to a 180 thermostat