Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 11:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
Mo,

Thanks for the level headed reply... I was expecting a flame fest but would much rather keep things respectable, and I appreciate you doing the same.

My point about DA is that it gets used a bit too much, and it's unreliable. There was a stupid song back years ago by this rapper named Too Short where he talked about if he was taller, if he was a baller () and I get the same feeling about DA. DA corrections are a "what if". What ifs are great but you can only go so far with them. I corrected the temperatures I got from the net to 4300ft at peak, normally around 4000ft. You finding something different even further supports my point about the trivialness of DA. It's just something for reference and even trying to correct out times using it is really silly IMO. As far as I see it, people ran fast in less-than-optimal conditions. What they would run in optimal conditions is anyone's guess, at best. If I was able to run in optimal conditions everytime I hit the drag strip, I would be one happy man. This pursuit of 0/negative DAs is not reflective of reality and I think people need to target the best they can given what they are dealt with, not "what ifs"

The same thing is for dyno correction factors... I mean drivetrain loss is so hard to figure out... yet people like to take them as gospel. It's impossible to really calculate a completely accurate drivetrain loss, especially on modified cars because even if at factory levels if DT loss is 18%, doesn't mean that it goes up in a linear fashion as a car makes more power. Sure, certain things do increase with power as the laws of thermal dynamics require it, but I mean in the end you are talking about numbers that are estimates realistically and should try to be avoided...

Again, just my opinion...

-m
i'm not going to flame you on your opinion regarding da...although it is used by hard core racers EXTREMELY accurately to predict passes within 100ths of a second. once you understand how to use it correctly, you can easily apply it to more favorable conditions. with that said, it's no excuse for actually running the pass.

now that that's out of the way, i AM going to flame you for confusing too short for singing skee lo's "i wish"...
Old 07-21-2009, 12:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Mikesamg
Then we got up at 530am to hit the track and check out some old guy with his sweats up to his nipples try to impress us with his white vette as he drove by, hmmm mid life crisis probably
haha...I just read that. That was some funny stuff, he thought he was so cool. After the track officials drove by yelling on the speakerphone "speed limit is 15 mph, anyone going over that will be kicked out", here comes Mr. camel ***** speeding down the parking lot . Great stuff!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-21-2009, 12:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
Originally Posted by chiromikey
i'm not going to flame you on your opinion regarding da...although it is used by hard core racers EXTREMELY accurately to predict passes within 100ths of a second. once you understand how to use it correctly, you can easily apply it to more favorable conditions. with that said, it's no excuse for actually running the pass.

now that that's out of the way, i AM going to flame you for confusing too short for singing skee lo's "i wish"...
Mikey I acknowledged it's use in NHRA and once people are VERY familiar with their cars, they can accurately project their DA. Although Alan has not made thousands of passes in his car.... he's taken the SAME setup, once with 1600ft DA and once with 4000ft DA and made passes in both conditions. He is starting to know how DA affects his car. That's the bassn_07 correction factor. Is it the rarfinancial correction factor? No. Is it a chiromikey correction factor? No. DA used to actually correct passes at the end of the day are a prediction, and not factual. You can't compare hard core dragracers with weekend street car drag racers. That just isn't apples to oranges. For us and our street cars, DA is a figure of reference that should be meant to help explain certain things and allow you to put in perspective one trip to the drag strip from another.

Thanks for the correction on that skee lo reference.

-m
Old 07-21-2009, 03:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 CLS63 030
Mikey I acknowledged it's use in NHRA and once people are VERY familiar with their cars, they can accurately project their DA. Although Alan has not made thousands of passes in his car.... he's taken the SAME setup, once with 1600ft DA and once with 4000ft DA and made passes in both conditions. He is starting to know how DA affects his car. That's the bassn_07 correction factor. Is it the rarfinancial correction factor? No. Is it a chiromikey correction factor? No. DA used to actually correct passes at the end of the day are a prediction, and not factual. You can't compare hard core dragracers with weekend street car drag racers. That just isn't apples to oranges. For us and our street cars, DA is a figure of reference that should be meant to help explain certain things and allow you to put in perspective one trip to the drag strip from another.
Thanks for the correction on that skee lo reference.

-m
How often do you run your car?
Do you run faster in 90 degrees at 0% humidity or 60 degrees at 60% humidity?

Do you correct your slips?

I would suggest you change your statement about Ricks car as I can say I am 100% sure, certain as the sun will rise ,in 60 degrees at Sacramento he hits 127 EASILY

Last edited by juicee63; 07-21-2009 at 03:41 AM.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by juicee63
I would suggest you change your statement about Ricks car as I can say I am 100% sure, certain as the sun will rise ,in 60 degrees at Sacramento he hits 127 mph EASILY
That is a very interesting point....... if we look at jrcart's data and results from Famoso, we find that he did in fact hit and even exceeded 127 mph trap speeds. Jrcart and rarfinancial have a very close setup:

- They both have very well-built long tube headers.
- They both have very well-designed Custom ECU Tunes.
- They both were running 100 shot of nitrous (approximate).
- They both have carbon fiber air boxes.
- They both have under drive pullies + light weight rotors.

I know jrcart had a bit more weight-reduction items, but he did hit 128 and 129 mph at +1600 ft or so. This would suggest that at zero level, Rick should be able to hit 127 or at least 126 mph
Old 07-21-2009, 04:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
That is a very interesting point....... if we look at jrcart's data and results from Famoso, we find that he did in fact hit and even exceeded 127 mph trap speeds. Jrcart and rarfinancial have a very close setup:

- They both have very well-built long tube headers.
- They both have very well-designed Custom ECU Tunes.
- They both were running 100 shot of nitrous (approximate).
- They both have carbon fiber air boxes.
- They both have under drive pullies + light weight rotors.

I know jrcart had a bit more weight-reduction items, but he did hit 128 and 129 mph at +1600 ft or so. This would suggest that at zero level, Rick should be able to hit 127 or at least 126 mph

Marcus thinks we are weekend street car warriors when in fact we spend alot of time and energy doing this. It is science and while a hypothesis is not a fact when it is repeatable it becomes so.

I.E.

You run 12.92 @ 108 at Fontana we do a DA correction based on weather and elevation measurement.

We hypoythesize that at X DA you run X ET and X mph, and you run what we hypothesize, well all be darned it is not luck is it?

I have 830 corrected slips they line up in order based on the actual time. What is interesting is even using the corrected times they are in essentially the exact same order.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS63
Hey guys take it easy Why is Rick's Big Heavy Show Car being attacked It's built for show only,,,,, You know to SHOW HOW FAST A 63 CAN BE I haven't even come close to what the car can run One step at a time boy... funny that the Z06's, Vipers and many others could not reach the speeds The cls did at the Texas Mile
Correct this and Correct that at the end of the day it's heads up man. You win or you lose that's it, ANY QUESTIONS? As for the 127 mph come on out to Famosa and take a look.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63
Marcus thinks we are weekend street car warriors when in fact we spend alot of time and energy doing this. It is science and while a hypothesis is not a fact when it is repeatable it becomes so.

I.E.

You run 12.92 @ 108 at Fontana we do a DA correction based on weather and elevation measurement.

We hypoythesize that at X DA you run X ET and X mph, and you run what we hypothesize, well all be darned it is not luck is it?

I have 830 corrected slips they line up in order based on the actual time. What is interesting is even using the corrected times they are in essentially the exact same order.
Gett'em Josh.. A man with 830 Time slips may know just a little about the track? Ya Think LOL
Old 07-21-2009, 12:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
How often do you run your car?
Do you run faster in 90 degrees at 0% humidity or 60 degrees at 60% humidity?

Do you correct your slips?

I would suggest you change your statement about Ricks car as I can say I am 100% sure, certain as the sun will rise ,in 60 degrees at Sacramento he hits 127 EASILY
Juice I've run probably around 15 of my personal cars, and countless friends/associates cars at around a half dozen drag strips throughout the midwest. The cars have varied in HP from 1000 to 200. I have drag raced in 40F with windchill factors that approached below freezing to 100F with 100% humidity. I couldn't tell you how many times I've gone down the drag strip. I have personally built cars from the ground up that pump 35psi and can light up BFG drag radials at 80mph. I'm not trying to sound full of myself but you questioned my credentials and that is some of them.

With that said, if you would be so kind as to review my posts. I clearly stated the following:

DA affects cars performance
Universal DA corrections are mostly unreliable, however they can be reliable for stock/lightly modified, normally aspirated cars
You should not try to use correction factors to come up with real numbers, real numbers are what are on the time slips, not what some calculator tells you. "What ifs" don't win races.

Every individual's modified car will respond differently to DA. There is no universal correction factor. How 4000ft DA affects your car is not how if affects bassn_07s car, or my car, or rick's car.

Rick's car, with 100 shot of nitrous, is not going to be affected by DA like bassn_07s car or even like your car. The laws of thermodynamics prohibit it. If you think about Nitrous Oxide as a gas and when injected under pressure what it does to the air coming into your cylinders you would understand how it negates high DA. Please visit any LS1 or Mustang forum and ask them about the cooling properties of nitrous, and they will tell you. Hell, ask MarkoCL65 - that guy has squeezed more spray than just about anyone I know in his automotive career... he knows very well how much the cooling effects of nitrous can help a motor run well in various conditions.

-m
Old 07-21-2009, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63
So now back to racing. I'm checking into Sac I will try to make it but Famosa for sure.. I need to break my last Famosa best of 11.6x in that COLD weather (75). Hey wait I just remembered my daughter beat her Famosa best N/A no spray at Fontana Wow those headers must really kick some azz. The weather factor didn't stop her. At Famosa I ran many many 11.6 and 11.8 in 35-40 degrees hotter weather at Fontana.
Lets get back to the track
Old 07-21-2009, 02:13 PM

2012 JDM
Originally Posted by rarfinancial
So now back to racing. I'm checking into Sac I will try to make it but Famosa for sure.. I need to break my last Famosa best of 11.6x in that COLD weather (75). Hey wait I just remembered my daughter beat her Famosa best N/A no spray at Fontana Wow those headers must really kick some azz. The weather factor didn't stop her. At Famosa I ran many many 11.6 and 11.8 in 35-40 degrees hotter weather at Fontana.
Lets get back to the track
huh?
Old 07-21-2009, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by J 2OOI
huh?
I believe Rick was saying that he ran 11.6-.8 at Famoso with 35 degree cooler weather last year. He ended up with a high 11.8 at Fontana with temperatures around 105 degrees. Which means it should only get better with cooler weather. Hope that helps.

Hopefully Rick could make Sacramento and resolve many of these questions. I definitely think he'll run much better times given better conditions. After this he'll have a better understanding of how DA will affect his car.

Last edited by bassn_07; 07-21-2009 at 07:46 PM.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030
Juice I've run probably around 15 of my personal cars, and countless friends/associates cars at around a half dozen drag strips throughout the midwest. The cars have varied in HP from 1000 to 200. I have drag raced in 40F with windchill factors that approached below freezing to 100F with 100% humidity. I couldn't tell you how many times I've gone down the drag strip. I have personally built cars from the ground up that pump 35psi and can light up BFG drag radials at 80mph. I'm not trying to sound full of myself but you questioned my credentials and that is some of them.

With that said, if you would be so kind as to review my posts. I clearly stated the following:

DA affects cars performance
Universal DA corrections are mostly unreliable, however they can be reliable for stock/lightly modified, normally aspirated cars
You should not try to use correction factors to come up with real numbers, real numbers are what are on the time slips, not what some calculator tells you. "What ifs" don't win races.
Every individual's modified car will respond differently to DA. There is no universal correction factor. How 4000ft DA affects your car is not how if affects bassn_07s car, or my car, or rick's car.

Rick's car, with 100 shot of nitrous, is not going to be affected by DA like bassn_07s car or even like your car. The laws of thermodynamics prohibit it. If you think about Nitrous Oxide as a gas and when injected under pressure what it does to the air coming into your cylinders you would understand how it negates high DA. Please visit any LS1 or Mustang forum and ask them about the cooling properties of nitrous, and they will tell you. Hell, ask MarkoCL65 - that guy has squeezed more spray than just about anyone I know in his automotive career... he knows very well how much the cooling effects of nitrous can help a motor run well in various conditions.

-m
I agree with absolutely everything you said except what is in bold.

How do you explain the fact that corrections are done on every run as a prediction tool in all sanctioned NHRA events?

I have seen not once not twice not thrice guys correct and dial the car ion to the nearest 1000th.

Say at 1030 AM the car runs 12.7612@109.3440

A driver looks at his weather and logs in the changes, he scrolls on his windshield

12.7690@ 109.7461

The driver has CHOSEN A REAL NUMBER calculated from weather data entered into his calculator.

Guess what ???

He runs 12.7687@109.7466

This happens everyday , every weekend, all over the USA.

Nobody ever claimed they ran xx.xx @ xxx.xx cortrected, they simply used a tool readily available based on info gathered at the physical track locale.

I completely respect your endeavors but nobody in this thread claimed the weather effected the cars exactly the same. You state the obvious and nobody will or can counter because your post makes complete and utter sense.

Did your car run faster in 40 degrees than it did in 100 degrees? And do you know or can you estimate based on YOU OWN RUNS, what your own car would do at Famoso, Sacramento, Firebird, Fontana?

Nobody ever said " [B][I]Today at Fontana my car ran 10.96@129.32 it is a world record"
I know my timeslip says 11.89@121 but that is the uncorrected time"

Please recognize we all understand what we are doing with the corrections, nobody claimed they ran faster.

Rick Nitrous shot is no more a power adder than your pulley and supercharger, or your TT and tune, they are all power adders and considered HIGHLY MODIFIED.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63
I agree with absolutely everything you said except what is in bold.

How do you explain the fact that corrections are done on every run as a prediction tool in all sanctioned NHRA events?

I have seen not once not twice not thrice guys correct and dial the car ion to the nearest 1000th.

Say at 1030 AM the car runs 12.7612@109.3440

A driver looks at his weather and logs in the changes, he scrolls on his windshield

12.7690@ 109.7461

The driver has CHOSEN A REAL NUMBER calculated from weather data entered into his calculator.

Guess what ???

He runs 12.7687@109.7466

This happens everyday , every weekend, all over the USA.

Nobody ever claimed they ran xx.xx @ xxx.xx cortrected, they simply used a tool readily available based on info gathered at the physical track locale.

I completely respect your endeavors but nobody in this thread claimed the weather effected the cars exactly the same. You state the obvious and nobody will or can counter because your post makes complete and utter sense.

Did your car run faster in 40 degrees than it did in 100 degrees? And do you know or can you estimate based on YOU OWN RUNS, what your own car would do at Famoso, Sacramento, Firebird, Fontana?

Nobody ever said " [B][I]Today at Fontana my car ran 10.96@129.32 it is a world record"
I know my timeslip says 11.89@121 but that is the uncorrected time"

Please recognize we all understand what we are doing with the corrections, nobody claimed they ran faster.

Rick Nitrous shot is no more a power adder than your pulley and supercharger, or your TT and tune, they are all power adders and considered HIGHLY MODIFIED.

Famosa, any questions? Be there..
Old 07-23-2009, 02:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030
Here is Mikesamg stage 1 E55 beating the pants off of bassn07 , (lol)

http://s57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...t=Mikesamg.flv
Old 07-23-2009, 02:34 AM

A Prius because I'm green

Yea I can't believe he posts some fake numbers up on here and to make it worst asked to see the AMG flag to take it and run home. haha

What's sad is I let the guy jump on purpose so I could fly by him and wave. I didn't wave but I honestly was looking to the right and said toodles I told Alan I'm putting a camera in the car to video me doing this what do you think? I was venting since there was a new Camero behind me that I wanted to be lined up with but instead they put him.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030
Yea I can't believe he posts some fake numbers up on here and to make it worst asked to see the AMG flag to take it and run home. haha

What's sad is I let the guy jump on purpose so I could fly by him and wave. I didn't wave but I honestly was looking to the right and said toodles I told Alan I'm putting a camera in the car to video me doing this what do you think? I was venting since there was a new Camero behind me that I wanted to be lined up with but instead they put him.
hahahahahhahaaaaaa, dam I just spit out some juice, ha.

Poor Allan , being champ is gonna be rough.

Sorry I do not have your 12.44 pass, I have to check my other cam for the race with Bill.(Zglide)

I think you were one of the fastest street cars , I don't think that Camaro was close? Did you see him run at all during the day?

Old 07-23-2009, 02:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG

hey Josh,

I thought we talked about you not posting any of my losses against the monstrous Renntech Stage I. I'm truly and utterly disappointed that you've gone back on your word .

Mike, that's not nice you let me jump and then passed me up, I thought you said you tried your hardest..... Damn...always pickn on the Asian!!!!
Old 07-23-2009, 02:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by bassn_07
hey Josh,

I thought we talked about you not posting any of my losses against the monstrous Renntech Stage I. I'm truly and utterly disappointed that you've gone back on your word .

Mike, that's not nice you let me jump and then passed me up, I thought you said you tried your hardest..... Damn...always pickn on the Asian!!!!
That front wheel drive mod you installed may have been a mistake
Old 07-23-2009, 05:11 AM

hahahahahhahaaaaaa, dam I just spit out some juice, ha.

Poor Allan , being champ is gonna be rough.

Sorry I do not have your 12.44 pass, I have to check my other cam for the race with Bill.(Zglide)

I think you were one of the fastest street cars , I don't think that Camaro was close? Did you see him run at all during the day?

Yea he wasn't running good I think 13s. I don't think anyone outside of full on dragsters where close to us. The C55 and C32 were doing better than most at 14-15sec runs
Old 07-23-2009, 05:15 AM

hey Josh,

Next time I will and it's not picking on the Asian. Now this is picking on the Asian...your profile name on here right, when I first found out you were Asian I thought it stood for something like Bad A$$ Asian...I was reading it Badass...AssN haha thought you would get a kick out of that. Then I read the thread about bassn for bassin, I fish for bass but never would have thought. Was thinking it was related to having a fast car and all haha. This was me after I learned what it meant
Old 08-03-2009, 10:41 PM

Canon XL2
Also, thanks to the camera man (forgot your name...sorry)
hehe-
Hey Alan- it was great meeting you too (and Bill and Mike). Hope to see you guys this weekend!

Then we got up at 530am to hit the track and check out some old guy with his sweats up to his nipples try to impress us with his white vette as he drove by, hmmm mid life crisis probably
couldn't have put it better myself. what a douche....! not to mention the butterfly door corvette and his really really cool music...haha

Originally Posted by MB_Forever
Measured temps at the track recorded 105 F
I actually have burn marks on the knees of my pants from shooting on the black top. ouch! and I actually passed out at about 4 PM. Hopefully Sac-town will be kinder.

Go Team AMG!

-Nevan
Old 08-10-2009, 07:53 PM

2008 Dodge Challenger
Originally Posted by rarfinancial
Famosa, any questions? Be there..
When is this happening?
Old 08-10-2009, 08:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by 426Hemi
When is this happening?
Sometime in November or December.... followed by another track event the following month Chris, where did you run your 10.18?
Old 08-10-2009, 08:07 PM

2008 Dodge Challenger
Where else my friend?

FAMOSO!!! at 1:42am!!!! WTF! hehehehehehe!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: =====> Team AMG @ Fontana 07/18/2009 <=====