'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
Originally Posted by AZIPOD
I think it's normal to be a little off.
I'd concur with that
Old 03-24-2014, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 Sedan
Although I do not have a e class, my CLS sits slightly lower on rear drivers side. Very minimal though
Old 03-25-2014, 01:48 AM

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts
2014 E63 AMG S, 4Runner
If your sides are consistently lower and it won't settle to any "evenness" even after raising and lowering it on a flat surface, consider using the STAR Diagnostics to adjust the height.

The front left and front right can be independently adjusted to your desired height. My left front was consistently about 1/2" too low vs. the right front, so I had my independent MB shop adjust it for $40. The original owner got the left front shock replaced but the shop obviously didn't set the height properly.

The rears shocks are both locked together and raise/lower in unison. Even then, I can have 1/8" difference in them.

Based on what I read from other posts, the stock ride height should be the following on a flat surface (while set in comfort mode):

Front: 26.5" (from ground to middle of fender wheel well opening)
Rear: 26.25" (from ground to middle of fender wheel well opening)

Have one person measure the height (using a reinforced cloth measuring tape so you don't scratch your fender paint), while the other person adjusts the STAR. For each section, raise beyond your desired height by 1/2" then have them let out the air so it finally drops to your desired height. I took it in 3x to the shop for this, until the last time, I measured while I had them push the buttons. It's been set perfectly ever since.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:02 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
2011 CL63 AMG (Current) 2005 CLS55 AMG (Current) 2004 C32 AMG (Sold)
I recently had a shock go, and installed a new one.. The shop did a full calibration of the system via star and watched the process.. It all got calibrated within 1 mm... So if you got that setup or access to it, maybe a re-calibration is in order.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
06 e55,81SC Targa,08 CLK63 BLK,91 E34 M5
My driver side sits .5 inch lower then passenger it's so annoying
Old 03-28-2014, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 BMW M3 Sedan 6MT - Silverstone II/Fox Red Extended
Yes. There is a 10mm height variation side-to-side with Airmatic. It's normal and evidently considered to be within spec unless your height/leveling difference is >10mm.

The more you know...
Old 03-28-2014, 05:11 PM

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts
2014 E63 AMG S, 4Runner
You are correct about the +/- 10mm variation on the Airmatic. It will adjust as needed if there's a difference beyond that.

However, I believe the more correct response is this:

Normal airmatic specification: Base height +/- 10mm

What I'm getting at is that sometimes the "base height" may be different for the front left and for the front right (i.e. when you get new shocks replaced). And while it may within spec to be +/- 10mm from its initial set point, the base height (from what I remember, it was a voltage reading) can be adjusted to level out your car--if indeed your car height is significantly off at the corners.

My car was secondhand when I bought it, and the original owner had the L front shock replaced. When I considered buying it, I noticed the left front fender consistently sat noticeably lower than the right front side--the seller mentioned "it's always been that way" since I had the dealer replaced the left front shock. Even when in the raised position, it was still noticeably lower than the right front side. It wasn't until I got the car delivered that I had my independent MB mechanic adjust the front left side (recalibrate the whole suspension, the adjust the voltage ("height") levels) so the fender height matched the right front side. Ever since then, the left front and right front has been spot on in fender height (at the base height).

But agreed, if at rest the front left and front right are no more than 10mm different, I wouldn't worry.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Mercedes E55
my drivers side is MUCH lower than my passenger side. Tried star lowering my car and the drivers side came out fine, my passenger side wouldn't lower worth crap
Old 03-30-2014, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
A few months ago I replaced a blown front strut with an Arnott replacement using the DIY guide on here which involves fooling the system into releasing air. It took a long time and multiple attempts at fooling the system in order to compress the new strut enough for install. Even since then, I've been convinced that my STAR lowering on the front is gone and reset back to factory standards. Would it be normal for this to happen or are my eyes just playing games with me?
Old 03-31-2014, 05:55 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
2011 CL63 AMG (Current) 2005 CLS55 AMG (Current) 2004 C32 AMG (Sold)
Originally Posted by HeissRod
A few months ago I replaced a blown front strut with an Arnott replacement using the DIY guide on here which involves fooling the system into releasing air. It took a long time and multiple attempts at fooling the system in order to compress the new strut enough for install. Even since then, I've been convinced that my STAR lowering on the front is gone and reset back to factory standards. Would it be normal for this to happen or are my eyes just playing games with me?
Maybe some guys here who have done the same lowering as you with the same rim size can measure their vehicle height for you to compare, their measurements vs. yours ?