W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

2005 E55 Tire Pressure warnings

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2009 | 06:45 PM

2005 E55 AMG Sedan
2005 E55 Tire Pressure warnings

Hi, I am brand new to the forum - nice to meet everybody.

I am the new (and proud) owner of a 2005 E55 and am having an issue with the tire pressure warnings system.

All system messages are paraphrased.

I'm driving along and get the Tire Pressure Warning. I fumble around with the controls and the manual and find the screen in the speedo that shows the tire pressures - first issue - they seem to vary a PSI or two either way from time to time (I assume that's because of tire temp etc.), anyway, I figure out that pressing the button to the left of the instrument cluster brings up the "Do you want to measure tire pressure - yes/no" message. I select yes and the screen indicated "Tire pressure monitoring re-activated". The little tire warning symbol in the clock area goes out - great.

Some time later I get the same beep and tire pressure warning. This has pappened several times now.

I checked the tire pressures manually and it doesn't appear that any of the tires anre actually losing pressure.

Is the tire warning system so sensitive that minor changes/differences in pressure will trigger the alarm? If so, is there a way to de-activate the automatic, continous sampling of tire pressure?

Thanks in advance for your help.

BTW, it think will please most of you to know that my previous car was a BMW M3 which was totalled by a violent ear end collision as it sat quietly (un-occupied) minding it's own business in a school parking lot.

Viva MB AMG
Old 08-09-2009 | 09:32 AM

2003 E55 K1
The TPMS is notorious for problems. I have had a problem with the units in the wheels and with the receiving unit as well. If you are getting repeated warnings after resetting, you probably have a problem that needs to be fixed by an MB dealer. He can test both the wheel units and the receiving unit. Do not wait to get fixed because it is expensive and you want to be sure under warranty.