W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would happen if a 6.3L crank bolt went into a 55k???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55 AMG 030
Originally Posted by komp55
Okay, let me make sure I've got this straight -

1. The bolt was NOT replaced as specified by MB workshop procedures;

2. Somehow you later end up with the wrong part (bolt) installed in your car;

3. Whatever bolt was installed wasn't torqued down correctly in two steps; and

3. Now you're wondering why the crank bolt backed out and probably ruined your crankshaft.

We all feel your pain, but back when you first posted about your Ferrari mechanic not being able to find the tensioner release for the accessory drive belt, many on this Board advised you to take your car to a mechanic that was competent and familiar with MBs. That didn't happen and it's only gotten worse from there. I hope whoever messed up your latest install accepts their responsibility and pays for the damage they've caused. GL getting it repaired and back on the road.
Yep I accept full responsibility for me installing it wrong I guess. the 2nd time i torqued it 200ft/lbs so im not sure why it wanst tight enough , and I would like to know how this mysterious bolt got in my crank. why do we have to keep hearing about my friend who was just wondering where the tensioner was? Your the one who bought the pulley and you said your self it looked good, so whats the problem? I guess all I can really post here is what wax I use and pics of my car being detailed and stuff. Guess I'll have to go to Dyno-Comp for the real help.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:34 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
Originally Posted by RenntechE55
Yep I accept full responsibility for me installing it wrong I guess. the 2nd time i torqued it 200ft/lbs so im not sure why it wanst tight enough.....
The second step in torquing the bolt is 90-degrees of rotation AFTER initial torque spec. This stretches the bolt enough to hold the pulley on without any need for loc-tite or similar. I wish you a rapid and inexpensive resolution to your issue.

Originally Posted by hooleyboy
Renntech reuses the stock bolt, AMS reuses the stock bolt, Mercedes reuses the stock bolt, and I'm sure other tuners reuse the stock bolt...
This is incorrect info - LET has never reused a crank bolt and never will.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG 030
[QUOTE=ChicagoX;3668141]The second step in torquing the bolt is 90-degrees of rotation AFTER initial torque spec. This stretches the bolt enough to hold the pulley on without any need for loc-tite or similar. I wish you a rapid and inexpensive resolution to your issue.

Thanks, Ya the first time I thought that I did 90-degrees but i guess not I'am hearing that it take 4ft long breaker bars and tons of torque

Last edited by RenntechE55; 08-13-2009 at 06:00 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by RenntechE55
Thanks, Ya the first time I thought that I did 90-degrees but i guess not I'am hearing that it take 4ft long breaker bars and tuns of torque
yup. took me and another guy to do this, though our breaker bar wasnt 4 ft lol
Old 08-13-2009, 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG 030
Well everyone can sleep better tonight lol, my car is out of my hands and with Chris at Floored Fab. So I'm sure he can fix my car and while he's at it he's throwing my LT's on
Old 08-14-2009, 12:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by JustPete
^^^

Looks pretty clear to me.

Whenever I've done work on motors, with any high torque bolts that meet a lot of stress. The rule has always been to replace with new.
+1

While you may not "have to" replace it, I will say that not replacing the crank bolt with a new OEM one is, at the very least, poor judgement. It's a $10 part, allegedly is supposed to be a one-time-use stretch bolt, and ultimately is critical to the health of the engine. Why any reputable MB tuning organization would skip this cheap insurance for their clients is beyond me...
Old 08-14-2009, 12:11 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by komp55
As the facts come out now, this just goes from bad to worse. You CANNOT reuse the crank bolt because it's a stretch to torque bolt. The MB WIS is very clear on this. Did no one learn anything went Jangy went through this with James a while back?

If the crank bolt is reused, it's simply a BAD INSTALL.
Agreed 100%.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:19 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by hooleyboy
Renntech reuses the stock bolt, AMS reuses the stock bolt, Mercedes reuses the stock bolt, and I'm sure other tuners reuse the stock bolt.

I don't think MB uses it, but either way...best not to argue. Simply put, IF MB really didn't use it on yours when the procedure says to, then you should speak with my brother the lawyer who happens to be working on numerous Chrysler fraud claims.

why didn't the reused bolt fail during the 3+ years of service with the renntech pulley? Why havent a number of members cars have bolt failures after reusing the stock bolt?

I would like to think that the numerous client cars are running fine because they were modded properly (however you want to define it). Why OP's car ran fine could be that the 63 bolt was rammed in and held. That doesn't mean he can re-ram, nor does it mean Dyno Comp is at fault.

EDIT: there is debate on the reuse of the stock bolt. Im not a mechanic and dont do install work. I just race and come up with crazy ideas. From what my eyes have seen and what the dealer has done to my car. I've never personally seen the bolt fail on the number of pulley i've seen installed. strangely enough I've seen some pulleys come in to the shop that have failed, None on a MBZ though. Well except for a CLK430 that had the rubber damper missing from the stock pulley.
Stretched bolts back out. It is not a new phenomenon. They simply back out due to the vibrations.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:22 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by BlownV8
The 55 kompressor engine is still being built by Mercedes. I wouldn't think it would be that far of a stretch to have an engine builder pull the wrong bolt or have the wrong bolt given to him.
Are you serious? Where is the 55k still being made and used? The 63 motor is being built in MB, the first in history.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:23 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
+1

While you may not "have to" replace it, I will say that not replacing the crank bolt with a new OEM one is, at the very least, poor judgement. It's a $10 part, allegedly is supposed to be a one-time-use stretch bolt, and ultimately is critical to the health of the engine. Why any reputable MB tuning organization would skip this cheap insurance for their clients is beyond me...
And why RennTech endorses it......
Old 08-14-2009, 12:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Originally Posted by jangy
And why RennTech endorses it......
OMG its Jangy! how ya been/ where ya been?
Old 08-14-2009, 01:01 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by Hammer Down
OMG its Jangy! how ya been/ where ya been?
Taking care of some personal business and had to stay away. I'm back and loving MB.