MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   W211 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg-81/)
-   -   hood wont open (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/313131-hood-wont-open.html)

c43amgedmonton1 08-21-2009 02:27 PM

hood wont open

i tried the search button and could not come up with anything. When i pull my hood release, the hood only pops on the drivers side and the tongue wont come throught the grill. Then when i tried to push the hood back down and re pull the release, it felt llike it was already pulled and wont release at all now.

Thanks in advance,
Johnny

sneakyneon 08-21-2009 02:34 PM

Just a something to try, but you will need a buddy. Have one person pull the hood release the wile one person manipulates the hood.

jturkel 08-21-2009 02:37 PM

were you messing with the fan? or anythin in the front of the engine bay where the hood latches down onto.

i was messing with the fan and this happened to me. it was a PITA to get open.

c43amgedmonton1 08-21-2009 02:44 PM

i was messing with the intake, im 90% sure i didnt leave anything on top. how did you get it open after you got yours stuck?

Vadim @ FD 08-21-2009 03:24 PM

C43: The clips that hold the cable to the radiator support are loose. You need a long screwdriver to push them back in.

Sometimes they break as well, so you need an extra set of hands to hold the cable down while you are pulling on the cable.

Good Luck!

E55AMGGG04 08-21-2009 05:12 PM

I took my car in for service a few months ago and I when I got it back the hood wouldn't open. It opened before I brought it in to service like 2 days prior and when I received it back from the dealer it would not open. They told me it was wear and tear parts that needed to be replaced $600.....I went nuts and they paid for it.

c43amgedmonton1 08-22-2009 02:04 AM

took it into the shop, couldnt figure it out. anybody have a diagram of just under the hood or where the cable goes?

c43amgedmonton1 08-23-2009 10:19 PM

anybody have anymore info?

rizzy 08-23-2009 10:24 PM

If you're not seeing the hood release tongue pop out, make sure that it is not jammed behind the grill. You may have to guide it out to get the hood to open all of the way. If that doesn't work, then have someone hold the hood release handle in the open position and either tug up on the hood or make a fist and pound on the hood over the latch that is stuck. Most times it is due to the tongue being stuck behind the grill though.....

rizzy 08-23-2009 10:28 PM

The cable on that hood runs underneath the upper radiator support in a plastic channel that is clipped to the underside of the hood. It's almost impossible to get to from the top. If the last instructions I gave you didn't work, then you have two options. Take it to the dealer, or jack the car up and go at it from underneath. You will have to take the front encapsulation panels off under the vehicle. Then with a long screw driver or a coat hanger, go up between the radiator fan and the engine to trip the latch.

c43amgedmonton1 08-23-2009 10:41 PM

thanks ive been trying what you first said but it wont release. i have been trying to locate the release but cant find it, i really dont want to take this to the dealership.

rizzy 08-23-2009 10:46 PM

If you can't find it, the that is most likely your problem. Look in there closely with a flash light where it would normally be. Then look behind the grill fins to the top and bottom of it. Usually the end of it gets stuck in the grill on the backside of the fins.

tripwalking 05-17-2016 11:17 PM

Just had this issue... Here's how I fixed mine.

The passenger side latch wouldn't trip. Under the valence, there's a flap that you can open. I was able to stick my arm up and find the plastic cover that is around the latch. The passenger side latch has a sensor on it, which is covered to protect it. You can basically pull down on the cover and detach it, then get someone to pull on the cable so you can feel what is supposed to move to trigger the latch. Push on that little lever towards the driver side, and it should pop. I didn't need to remove any wheel well panels- all I did was jack the car up a bit for easier access to the flap. You can also remove the lower grill to get access if you can't jack the car up.
Hope this helps!

tripwalking 05-17-2016 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by rizzy (Post 3682291)
If you're not seeing the hood release tongue pop out, make sure that it is not jammed behind the grill. You may have to guide it out to get the hood to open all of the way. If that doesn't work, then have someone hold the hood release handle in the open position and either tug up on the hood or make a fist and pound on the hood over the latch that is stuck. Most times it is due to the tongue being stuck behind the grill though.....

The center latch is just a secondary release and isn't connected to the main latches at all. It shouldn't have any consequence to the passenger side latch not releasing.

rockthemullet 05-18-2016 08:17 AM

Check out my post, hopefully it helps.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ml#post5832349

tripwalking 05-18-2016 10:34 AM

Pretty much what I did, except I didn't take the wheel or wheel well panels off. Maybe my arms are longer than most lol :)

turbo97se 05-18-2016 04:07 PM

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ml#post6635116