W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Does Repaired Fender Bender Devalue Car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 02:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E63S
How Does Repaired Fender Bender Devalue Car?

I have a 2006 E55 and a truck just took off my left side mirror and seriously dented my left front fender. Separately, my bumper has numerous scratches and could benefit from being repainted. None of this constitutes major structural damage in terms of vehicle performance, but I recall that when I went to sell my last AMG car that the dealers almost universally said that if there had been any body/paint work that they wouldn't take the car and would have to wholesale it...and therefore only offered me auction value for the car. I found this frustrating, because the car was in beautiful visual condition...also, there must be different levels/quality in the way a body part gets repainted. Why can't it be repainted so that it is indistinguishable from the original part/paint job?

Last edited by SoxFan; 08-28-2009 at 03:06 PM.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e63
the reality is that a marred carfax limits the marketability of the car (particularly higher end cars). still, documenting the process could help minimize the impact.

take extensive before / after photos to show what the damage looked like. Also keep the record from the body shop showing what was replaced and what had to be refurb'd.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
08 SL55
Get the responsible insurance company to pay for diminished value on top of the repair bill so you're whole when you sell/trade. I would say 10-20% of the cars current value (b/f the wreck) would be fair. Good luck.
Old 08-29-2009, 02:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 E55
diminished value claim is a MUST in ANY accident.

Just take the approach that you're perfectly willing to litigate should they screw around with you.