Sponsored by:

Question from a Noob

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e55 amg
Question from a Noob

hey guys im like days away from purchaseing a black on black 06 e55 and i was wondering what are certain things to look for on this car.... there are a couple of things wrong that he will be fixing but when i start up the car it kinda shakes alittle on idle so im wondering if thats normal because i've never sat in a e55 before.. my friends slk55 and c55 dont shake.. thanks for all the help guys im transfering over from bimmer so this will be my first benz
Old 09-02-2009, 09:39 AM

2005 BLK/BLK E-Double Nickel.
mine has a little shake on startup...not sure if its normal or not, but it goes away after i drive it off, if i stop at a light its gone...
Old 09-02-2009, 09:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Originally Posted by GhostTeck
hey guys im like days away from purchaseing a black on black 06 e55 and i was wondering what are certain things to look for on this car.... there are a couple of things wrong that he will be fixing but when i start up the car it kinda shakes alittle on idle so im wondering if thats normal because i've never sat in a e55 before.. my friends slk55 and c55 dont shake.. thanks for all the help guys im transfering over from bimmer so this will be my first benz
A couple of things:

1. Have you done a VIN check through a dealer and Carfax?

2. Have you considered getting a pre-purchase inspection (from a MB certified ASE mechanic)? Around here (Tampa), we have several independent shops run by ex MB techs that do pre purchase inspections.

(Best couple of hundred bucks you can spend)

3. Has it been modified? Mine "shudders" a lot because it has a lot of mods (long tube headers, straight pipe, sport cam shaft, etc...) but only for a short period.

4. What is the warranty situation on the car? If it is ending soon or no longer under warranty, I would definitely invest in an aftermarket warranty.

Personally, I would not purchase the car without doing 1,2, and 4 above.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:24 AM

e55 amg
Originally Posted by AMGfan
A couple of things:

1. Have you done a VIN check through a dealer and Carfax?

2. Have you considered getting a pre-purchase inspection (from a MB certified ASE mechanic)? Around here (Tampa), we have several independent shops run by ex MB techs that do pre purchase inspections.

(Best couple of hundred bucks you can spend)

3. Has it been modified? Mine "shudders" a lot because it has a lot of mods (long tube headers, straight pipe, sport cam shaft, etc...) but only for a short period.

4. What is the warranty situation on the car? If it is ending soon or no longer under warranty, I would definitely invest in an aftermarket warranty.

Personally, I would not purchase the car without doing 1,2, and 4 above.
Thanks for all the information guys so helpful I'm getting a car fax today.. I dont know of any techs from MB but the dealer has a MB tech guy to check the car throughly before i buy it and yea its there "MB tech guy" i mean there licensed and they can sell me the aftermarket MB warrenty which is nice.. im getting that no matter what but i want to make sure what it covers. Member Advan told me its because the transmission mount is not too good anymore thats why it shakes.. and the car looks completely stock i mean its great as is but im going to modifiy the car once i get it i'll attach my car right now its high modded but its only a 530 i wanted way more power loli mean i love pictures and im sure all of you love seeing them as well so a couple of picture and one of Advans C55 and stylezzza's slk55 enjoy and agn thanks for the help guys! im going to check the car out agn after work at 6:30 lol
Attached Thumbnails Question from a Noob-ghostteckse60rear.jpg   Question from a Noob-ghostteckfront.jpg   Question from a Noob-222.jpg  
Old 09-02-2009, 10:46 AM

Thanks for all the information guys so helpful I'm getting a car fax today.. I dont know of any techs from MB but the dealer has a MB tech guy to check the car throughly before i buy it and yea its there "MB tech guy" i mean there licensed and they can sell me the aftermarket MB warrenty which is nice.. im getting that no matter what but i want to make sure what it covers. Member Advan told me its because the transmission mount is not too good anymore thats why it shakes.. and the car looks completely stock i mean its great as is but im going to modifiy the car once i get it i'll attach my car right now its high modded but its only a 530 i wanted way more power loli mean i love pictures and im sure all of you love seeing them as well so a couple of picture and one of Advans C55 and stylezzza's slk55 enjoy and agn thanks for the help guys! im going to check the car out agn after work at 6:30 lol
so do you also go to impressive in maspeth? i met advans over there a few weeks back....
Old 09-02-2009, 10:56 AM

e55 amg
Originally Posted by TopEndS62
so do you also go to impressive in maspeth? i met advans over there a few weeks back....

haha thats soo funny thats were the picture was taken with stylezzza and advans car with my car in the background.. yea leo and john are really cool im advans cousin acutally =p
Old 09-02-2009, 11:11 AM

haha thats soo funny thats were the picture was taken with stylezzza and advans car with my car in the background.. yea leo and john are really cool im advans cousin acutally =p
NICE... Well good luck on the purchase...
Old 09-02-2009, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

Received 718 Likes on 699 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
when i start up the car it kinda shakes alittle on idle so im wondering if thats normal because i've never sat in a e55 before.. my friends slk55 and c55 dont shake..
mine shakes/vibrates on startup too...
at first, i thought the engine mounts were bad or something...
it's due to having a monster engine under the hood...
kinda like holding onto the leash of a mad dog...
Old 09-02-2009, 11:17 AM

e55 amg
hey guys thanks, here the car fax
http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...#DetailSection

I mean damn this guy had 3 accidents one owner!

the car in person seemed ok no major damage the driver side fog was broken and the left turnsignal was cracked but all that will be fixed the carfax says the rear was damaged but now im looking and the rear seemed fine so im trying to think was going on kinda making me scared to jump on this deal now

Last edited by GhostTeck; 09-02-2009 at 11:19 AM.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:18 AM

e55 amg
Originally Posted by MJ50
mine shakes/vibrates on startup too...
at first, i thought the engine mounts were bad or something...
it's due to having a monster engine under the hood...
kinda like holding onto the leash of a mad dog...
really? good to know i thought that too i was like hmm maybe its because i never sat in a supercharged car before lol but it was shaking even in idle when i had the car on for like 10 mins
Old 09-02-2009, 11:38 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 E63, Cobra replica, 68 Camaro, 66 Chevy II SS, Z4 BMW, Honda Element, Birel 125cc Shifter Kart.
My 06 runs rough on initial start up and throttle response is a little jerky until it warms up. Even after it's warmed up it's still a little jerky at light throttle. I think this is due to the SC and the torque these cars put out. You feel every little movement of the throttle pedal.

So, drive it like a man and put your foot in it and you will love it. These cars aren't for pussies so don't drive it like one.

I bought my car used and the previous owner was a woman whose husband bought the car for her. The salesman said she hated the car and traded it within six months. My wife doesn't like it either and won't drive it which is just fine with me.
Old 09-02-2009, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes
The three accidents are pretty alarming, I mean 3!! wow, but if you can get a good extended warranty, I don't see a huge issue arising from it. but make sure that they are compensating on the price for a car with so many accidents, if you dont mind, what are they asking for it?

btw Awesome looking 530i! Love the exhaust!
Old 09-02-2009, 01:53 PM

e55 amg
Originally Posted by aleksandar1099
The three accidents are pretty alarming, I mean 3!! wow, but if you can get a good extended warranty, I don't see a huge issue arising from it. but make sure that they are compensating on the price for a car with so many accidents, if you dont mind, what are they asking for it?

btw Awesome looking 530i! Love the exhaust!
yes i love my car but im hitt the 60k mark not a big deal but i mean lol im using this as an excuse to get a v8 supercharged lol there are problems with the 04 they will come up sooner than later so for all that at the same time for all the money in repairs i might as well upgrade i think it'll cost the same in the long run... The dealer is asking for 30,995 2006 60k miles.. from what im seeing the e55's dont really have much problems is any.. all i've been hearing from everyone that has come up with 102+k miles is minor problems but just matienace and drive which really makes me happy , thank you
Old 09-02-2009, 02:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes
Honestly, after having just about everything replaced in my car, I can tell you this...

1. Intercooler pump WILL go out, not really expensive maybe $150ish

2. Air suspension struts on the front have a high probability to go, and thats not cheap, as in the $1500 range for each side (these will make the warranty pay itself off)

Other than that, you basically safe!
Old 09-02-2009, 02:19 PM

e55 amg
Originally Posted by aleksandar1099
Honestly, after having just about everything replaced in my car, I can tell you this...

1. Intercooler pump WILL go out, not really expensive maybe $150ish

2. Air suspension struts on the front have a high probability to go, and thats not cheap, as in the $1500 range for each side (these will make the warranty pay itself off)

Other than that, you basically safe!
really? well i was thinking of getting a bigger intercooler to conpensate for the supercharge which is about the same 150ish and the air struts look expensive but thats what the warranty will be for right? i see your e55 is for sale where you located? and how much is you dont mind letting me know

edit: forget it i saw your profile Chicago =p that a bit of a drive but for the right price maybe i can ship it over here =p lol
Old 09-02-2009, 09:01 PM

aleksandar1099 is talking about the intercooler pump, not the intercooler.... most replace it with the johnson CM30 pump...
Old 09-03-2009, 12:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1969 280S, 1991 300E
Originally Posted by speedpeddler
My 06 runs rough on initial start up and throttle response is a little jerky until it warms up. Even after it's warmed up it's still a little jerky at light throttle. I think this is due to the SC and the torque these cars put out. You feel every little movement of the throttle pedal.

So, drive it like a man and put your foot in it and you will love it. These cars aren't for pussies so don't drive it like one.

I bought my car used and the previous owner was a woman whose husband bought the car for her. The salesman said she hated the car and traded it within six months. My wife doesn't like it either and won't drive it which is just fine with me.
lol...exactly