Tranny option summarized?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
chiromikey, when did you ditch your custom LET dyno tune? What were you dissatisfied with that you decided to go with Renntech? PM if that's more appropriate.
Yeah Mike, please tell......
Old 09-10-2009, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Prius because I'm green
Originally Posted by bassn_07
As of know it seems that Renntech is the only one that has is dialed in. I've driven in a car with speed shift and it's really nice, but not 2k plus nice. PC also offers a TCU but from what I hear it compromises the daily driving characteristics that we all love about our cars, most causing abrupt and aggressive shifts.
Hmmm I wonder whos car you are talking about Alan?

The Speedshift is priced reasonably from Renntech, it's sorta like the airbox though. You buy their TB and you have to put their Airbox on, great marketing RT haha. The speedshift is great and just tell everyone Alan how much you loved the 2/3 gear shift in my car. You just need to get their tune in order to have it. Mikey maybe you can share your experience with it but for me the shifts are clearly different. At the track they are smooth and quick, in fact the 2/3 gear change lunges me forward a little. For daily driving it's quick and clean as well, people actually comment how nice it is. This is all in Sport mode of course!

It has to be good though it has the Bassn_07 stamp of approval!
Old 09-10-2009, 11:32 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
ECU / TCU programming aside, has anyone simply had a valve body modified? I'm not looking to make the car a manual, but want cleaner and harder shifts. I'm thinking valve body and replace the TQ converter with a triple disc application and I will be done. By then, TCU programming should be dialing in.
Is there much else we can do realistically and NOW in our trannys? Will a valve body or even speedshift actually give faster times or is this all butt dyno and "feel"?
Old 09-11-2009, 12:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
chiromikey, when did you ditch your custom LET dyno tune? What were you dissatisfied with that you decided to go with Renntech? PM if that's more appropriate.
sorry for ot:

let's tune was good but in the end, i felt timing was a little too aggressive for the crappy gas we get around here. i had recently changed a few hardware items and needed another custom tune and decided to give renntech a shot. they're local and with some of the sales they've had going on lately, it just made sense!

anyways, renntech ended up delivering a street tune with a bit more hp on a much safer map (part of that was due to hardware). after that i was sold and renntech gave me the opportunity to try their RAT device with custom high octane tunes. i can now change between several different renntech tunes without having to go back to anyone to do it. i just plug the RAT into my obd2 port, flash my ecu to either a street tune, an aggressive high octane tune, or an all out race map...or any one of 8 tunes the software is capable of storing. trust me...it's more than impressive (not to mention convenient) to have 60 extra hp at the flip of a switch (and race gas).
Old 09-11-2009, 12:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by jangy
...Will a valve body or even speedshift actually give faster times or is this all butt dyno and "feel"?
i can't comment on a valve body mod (neither can anyone else that i know of on a 55k platform cause it hasn't been done to my knowledge), but i'm sure it's worth close to a tenth in the 1/4mile. i said after driving angela's car at the famoso event that i was impressed with renntech's speedshift and thought that it was definitely worth at least a half tenth compared to the shifting in my car.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by chiromikey
i can't comment on a valve body mod (neither can anyone else that i know of on a 55k platform cause it hasn't been done to my knowledge), but i'm sure it's worth close to a tenth in the 1/4mile. i said after driving angela's car at the famoso event that i was impressed with renntech's speedshift and thought that it was definitely worth at least a half tenth compared to the shifting in my car.
BTW...Sacramento only allows E55's to use 91 octane tunes, none of your race maps will be allowed .
Old 09-11-2009, 01:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Prius because I'm green
Originally Posted by bassn_07
BTW...Sacramento only allows E55's to use 91 octane tunes, none of your race maps will be allowed .
Alan don't worry you are running a 91 tune and they are already scared. We will keep our race map times to ourselves like we have been doing. Lets see what they bring!
Old 09-11-2009, 03:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Surprised none of y'all have ever heard of these boys:

http://www.importperformancetrans.com/722.6.shtml
You can't beat their deals on individual parts.

Valve body mod - $689
Hi-performance rebuild kit - $735
Hi-stall TC - $899

If your going all out and want a 722.6 that can take more power than your V8's will put out then http://www.southernhotrod.com/ has the best deals on complete bullet proof 722.6's @ $4200 a pop.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:37 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Originally Posted by Mikesamg
You buy their TB and you have to put their Airbox on, great marketing RT haha.
That is not true.
ECU / TCU programming aside, has anyone simply had a valve body modified? I'm not looking to make the car a manual, but want cleaner and harder shifts. I'm thinking valve body and replace the TQ converter with a triple disc application and I will be done. By then, TCU programming should be dialing in.
Is there much else we can do realistically and NOW in our trannys? Will a valve body or even speedshift actually give faster times or is this all butt dyno and "feel"?
You have to keep in mind that the total amount of time spent shifting in the 1/4 mile doesn't add up to much. Yes the shifts are quicker, but you are reducing a very small amount of time. lets say instead of spending 0.05s shifting you spend 0.0025s (just random guesses on the numbers). Twice as quick shifting but its negligible in your ET. But to answer your question, with the modified valve body (as well as TC and built trans) it definitely shifts quicker and harder and you feel the difference
Originally Posted by Max Hughes
Surprised none of y'all have ever heard of these boys:

http://www.importperformancetrans.com/722.6.shtml
You can't beat their deals on individual parts.

Valve body mod - $689
Hi-performance rebuild kit - $735
Hi-stall TC - $899

If your going all out and want a 722.6 that can take more power than your V8's will put out then http://www.southernhotrod.com/ has the best deals on complete bullet proof 722.6's @ $4200 a pop.
I don't recommend IPT. I have their torque converter in my car and their customer service is beyond horrendous. Do a search on them and see how many horror stories you find before you purchase. Everything from saying things are in stock when they weren't to selling a "built" trans when in fact it was stock (trans was taken apart after it breaking and saw it was stock). The product seems to work well though so far (Just TC for me).

I have the Southern Hot Rod trans and paid more than what they cost now lol. Sucks to be one of the first! I actually had to send the trans back once because of some clutch recall due to a former employee
Old 09-11-2009, 11:10 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
I have the Southern Hot Rod trans and paid more than what they cost now lol. Sucks to be one of the first! I actually had to send the trans back once because of some clutch recall due to a former employee
Can you give details on your setup? Is it a clutch setup? Is the tranny different? Any tuning involved? Other than the modding portion, what OEM loses?
Old 09-11-2009, 11:20 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Can you give details on your setup? Is it a clutch setup? Is the tranny different? Any tuning involved? Other than the modding portion, what OEM loses?
The trans? I sent my trans to Southern Hot Rod and the replaced a bunch of stuff including the clutch packs to kevlar and modify the valve body. I have stock TCU tune. OEM losses? It shifts firmer and harder. The car clunks into gear when going from Park to Drive lol. You can hear the shifting here, listen to the shifts during the burnout! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpD4o...eature=related

Last edited by blackbenzz; 09-11-2009 at 11:23 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:32 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Got it!! So, besides for cluncking from parkto drive, any other driveability issues? I'm not looking for a drag setup. More street warrior and road tracks if anything. I just hate that hesitation between shifts and also the lag from when I shift to when the tranny does....Southern Hot Rod....
Old 09-11-2009, 11:38 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Got it!! So, besides for cluncking from parkto drive, any other driveability issues? I'm not looking for a drag setup. More street warrior and road tracks if anything. I just hate that hesitation between shifts and also the lag from when I shift to when the tranny does....Southern Hot Rod....
No driveability issues. Sometimes it shifts harder than I'd like it to during normal driving though. Nothing severe, just firm. I will take it out again after I get retuned to refresh my memory on how it drives lol. Haven't driven it in about a week after I put in my wideband and found out how rich my car was tuned to run! The tiptronic still shifts slow, it's not like SMG where you tap the lever and bang it shifts gears. There is still a delay between when you tap the shift knob and when the car actually shifts. Maybe a TCU une will take care of that Mine is stock
Old 09-12-2009, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Kleemann EGS Mod (2.82)

Some of you may have followed my diff swap build thread and I want to elaborate on the EGS side of the mod here....

If you dont know Kleemann Denmark did my EGS. It took them a few tries but the car is running... how well you ask?

Ill go through it step by step....

Manual Mode Cruising:- Its nice, but needs refinement.
Very quick shifts. Seamless power delivery. The car gets a jolt from gear to gear - not ideal but you can live with it. Changing from second down to first sometimes trips the traction control ... so it can be pretty harsh. Sort of how I think SMG is (I have not driven an SMG). Not sure how good this will be for the tranny in 20k miles....

Manual Mode WOT:-
Feels like a dual clutch paddleshift manual. It really is fantastic. You can time your shifts very well and get close to redline in first and still not trip the limiter. Instantaneous shifts, seamless power delivery... VERY addictive. They have got this bang on. OEM shifts paused endlessly before shifting.....

Sport and Comfort Mode Cruising:-
Forget comfort. All shifts are abrubt regardless of throttle position and mode. I think this is where the tune falls down. It needs to be calibrated to the throttle position, and perhaps you need to tune the EGS and ECU as a unit. If you want a comfortable cruiser forget it.... this tune is made to drive the pants off it - not to tootle around.

S & C modes does not allow button shifts but does allow stick shifts..? I think this is a glitch and should be able to be sorted.

Other comments:

Torque Convertor lock up...
I think they play allot with the lock up timing and activation points. You can get to a situation where the car feels it is in too long a gear and the revs drop too low where the engine stutters... engine does not die but does not sound good. I think the TC lock up hear does not release and the gearbox gets stuck? - this is intermittant though. So a bit wierd.

Load limits...
Well either my butt dyno has been smoking mayonaise or this car has had a serious shot of adrenalin. I think its due to a combination of load limits lifted and shorter gearing. Touch the throttle at 2k rpm and you are gone. Before there was a slight delay and more of a woosh - here its a proper shove.... proper. 3rd feels more like second did - power is instantaneous and have tripped the traction control in 3rd when flooring it.... incredible difference. Second used to be my favorite gear but second<->third is where I play now.... all longer gears have great shove from a cruising throttle.

Issues...
Well there are always some issues. Cruising at 1500-1700 rpm and the car (more like the tranny) "hunts" slightly - its subtle , but it is there - seems like its trying to shift but not shifting or locking the Torque convertor and then not.... seems like something is in two minds here. Thought it was only doing it in 5th but was doing it in 3rd and 4th as well today. Slowing down to a stop sometimes the car gets stuck in too high a gear and you have to manually take it lower - this is intermittant though. OEM drops it lower for you automatically...even in manual. Also the stick shifts in S and C mode seem to move the numbers sometimes without actually changing gear - but when you try another time it changes gear. Maybe Its overriding some stupid gearshifts I am trying - dunno need to revisit this one.

Whats wierd is the car feels a little different everytime I drive it - Perhaps some adaptation going on - lets hope its not a problem.

The holy grail for me is to have the following...

C - Shifts as per OEM program but load limits lifted, button controls active.
S - Shifts as per manual program below, but 50% more refined downshifts & button controls active.
M - As manual is now - but a little more refinement on downshifts. You really got to watch yourself going from 2nd->1st - its instantaneous and too harsh if you hit it too high in the rev range. Upshifts under WOT is perfect.

I would like to work with Kleemann to get this type program on my car. I am thinking about driving the car to Denmark an letting them fiddle with it... we shall see what happens.

As I told Kleemann I am 90% happy ... this could be my best mod yet - bar none - if they can just resolve the issues mentioned.

Sorry if I went on a bit but needed to dump todays datalog from my brain before I forget it!

Last edited by stevebez; 09-13-2009 at 05:02 AM.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:20 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by stevebez
Sorry if I went on a bit but needed to dump todays datalog from my brain before I forget it!

Well said!! Thanks so much for sharing. It looks like the tranny tuning is at least a potential and that the big boys are trying to get it. All we need is more volunteers
Old 09-13-2009, 05:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Its really transformed the car from a lux sedan to a hardcore (ok except the handling - that will never be hardcore or anything close even) drivetrain. No compromises. I cannot recommend this setup if the car is a DD ... for a w/e toy ... might be just right. If they sort out the software then we can have the best of both worlds.

I think the tuning is done to global settings on the tranny ... either the program is not flexible enough to allow multiple speed shift settings or load limit settings etc between modes or they have not worked out how to do it yet.

If I could just have Speedshift II + lifted load limits + 2.82 gearing compatibility I think it would be perfect. Someone has to have Speedshift II?

We need to copy their files and see how it works!!!!

M1/M2 pleeeeezeee.

Last edited by stevebez; 09-13-2009 at 05:30 AM.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Sorry for bring up this zombie thread (don't hate me for using search )

Stevebez, did you ever get Kleeman to rework and refine this programming to your satisfaction? It seemed like they were really onto something nice, but it just needed more development.... I'd be interested to get an update on this and hear how many miles you've logged since doing this?

I found a few old posts on "speed shift" but it looks like everyone that used to offer TCU programming went out of business.... Except maybe Renntech?

I have been driving in "M" mode lately and the part-throttle upshifts are REALLY slow....like 1.5 - 2 seconds between shifts. I am also driving with the suspension in "Comfort" mode and for the first time today I wondered if the transmission shift behavior is different between Comfort, Sport and Sport2 suspension modes?

So far I haven't done much experimenting with it but I plan to drive around for a while in Sport2 to see if the shifts seem quicker in "M" mode.

-G

Originally Posted by stevebez
Some of you may have followed my diff swap build thread and I want to elaborate on the EGS side of the mod here....

If you dont know Kleemann Denmark did my EGS. It took them a few tries but the car is running... how well you ask?

Ill go through it step by step....

Manual Mode Cruising:- Its nice, but needs refinement.
Very quick shifts. Seamless power delivery. The car gets a jolt from gear to gear - not ideal but you can live with it. Changing from second down to first sometimes trips the traction control ... so it can be pretty harsh. Sort of how I think SMG is (I have not driven an SMG). Not sure how good this will be for the tranny in 20k miles....

Manual Mode WOT:-
Feels like a dual clutch paddleshift manual. It really is fantastic. You can time your shifts very well and get close to redline in first and still not trip the limiter. Instantaneous shifts, seamless power delivery... VERY addictive. They have got this bang on. OEM shifts paused endlessly before shifting.....

Sport and Comfort Mode Cruising:-
Forget comfort. All shifts are abrubt regardless of throttle position and mode. I think this is where the tune falls down. It needs to be calibrated to the throttle position, and perhaps you need to tune the EGS and ECU as a unit. If you want a comfortable cruiser forget it.... this tune is made to drive the pants off it - not to tootle around.

S & C modes does not allow button shifts but does allow stick shifts..? I think this is a glitch and should be able to be sorted.

Other comments:

Torque Convertor lock up...
I think they play allot with the lock up timing and activation points. You can get to a situation where the car feels it is in too long a gear and the revs drop too low where the engine stutters... engine does not die but does not sound good. I think the TC lock up hear does not release and the gearbox gets stuck? - this is intermittant though. So a bit wierd.

Load limits...
Well either my butt dyno has been smoking mayonaise or this car has had a serious shot of adrenalin. I think its due to a combination of load limits lifted and shorter gearing. Touch the throttle at 2k rpm and you are gone. Before there was a slight delay and more of a woosh - here its a proper shove.... proper. 3rd feels more like second did - power is instantaneous and have tripped the traction control in 3rd when flooring it.... incredible difference. Second used to be my favorite gear but second<->third is where I play now.... all longer gears have great shove from a cruising throttle.

Issues...
Well there are always some issues. Cruising at 1500-1700 rpm and the car (more like the tranny) "hunts" slightly - its subtle , but it is there - seems like its trying to shift but not shifting or locking the Torque convertor and then not.... seems like something is in two minds here. Thought it was only doing it in 5th but was doing it in 3rd and 4th as well today. Slowing down to a stop sometimes the car gets stuck in too high a gear and you have to manually take it lower - this is intermittant though. OEM drops it lower for you automatically...even in manual. Also the stick shifts in S and C mode seem to move the numbers sometimes without actually changing gear - but when you try another time it changes gear. Maybe Its overriding some stupid gearshifts I am trying - dunno need to revisit this one.

Whats wierd is the car feels a little different everytime I drive it - Perhaps some adaptation going on - lets hope its not a problem.

The holy grail for me is to have the following...

C - Shifts as per OEM program but load limits lifted, button controls active.
S - Shifts as per manual program below, but 50% more refined downshifts & button controls active.
M - As manual is now - but a little more refinement on downshifts. You really got to watch yourself going from 2nd->1st - its instantaneous and too harsh if you hit it too high in the rev range. Upshifts under WOT is perfect.

I would like to work with Kleemann to get this type program on my car. I am thinking about driving the car to Denmark an letting them fiddle with it... we shall see what happens.

As I told Kleemann I am 90% happy ... this could be my best mod yet - bar none - if they can just resolve the issues mentioned.