What do you do in this situation... ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 02:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
3-five-five/ TUNDRA/ 07 997 cab
Originally Posted by Karlson
dude, you are an idiot!! In first I disregarded your comment that he won't have enough ballz to tell you that in person.. but get over it kid really pissed me off.. I don't know how old are you, but I know emoving in person and he is really a nice guy and definetely not a kid!
Thanks buddy! He is obviously a little out of his leauge here! He said he is the guy that does not move over but now he is back tracking. Oh well, guess he get's the left lane slice and the middle finger for driving like a woman in the left lane!
Old 09-27-2009, 02:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm standing my ground on an empty freeway though. Pick your lane to go fast in, but in my opinion, being inconsiderate is expecting the only other person on the freeway to move for YOU because YOU feel like breaking the law.

I guess you are just that jackass! Every board has them!
Old 09-27-2009, 02:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
2004 E55
Originally Posted by emoving
I'm standing my ground on an empty freeway though. Pick your lane to go fast in, but in my opinion, being inconsiderate is expecting the only other person on the freeway to move for YOU because YOU feel like breaking the law.

Calling me names won't make you right. Sucks huh.
Old 09-27-2009, 02:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E63 AMG, 2012 F250 4x4

+1000000!!!!!!!
Old 09-27-2009, 02:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by bobgodd
Calling me names won't make you right. Sucks huh.
Join your local police force. Head to the academy for 6 months and get a badge and a gun! IF NOT, DON'T POLICE THE LEFT LANE! JUST GET OUT OF PEOPLES WAY THAT WANT TO GET AROUND YOU! Do you realize absolutly no one has sided with your ignorance.
Old 09-27-2009, 03:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55
Join your local police force. Head to the academy for 6 months and get a badge and a gun! IF NOT, DON'T POLICE THE LEFT LANE! JUST GET OUT OF PEOPLES WAY THAT WANT TO GET AROUND YOU! Do you realize absolutly no one has sided with your ignorance.
I'm not on the internet to make friends and gang up on people I don't like. I don't need any one of you to side with me, and I definitely don't need to be pressured into getting a ticket because someone else can't hold their wad.

If you go back to my post on page one, you'll see that it is unedited... You'll also see that I said that I will move, unless on an empty freeway. I remember driving through the night to visit family, and on I-5 north of the Grapevine in CA there's about 300 miles of pretty desolate driving, and there were no head lights behind me or tail lights in front of me for as far as I could see. Sure enough someone is blazing up at 90 or 100 or whatever and decides to try and move me, instead of going on about his/her way. Would you believe that this person followed me for almost 10 minutes rather than just switch lanes?! How much wasted time and energy is that?? That my friend, seems dumb to me.

EDIT: I also said that I no longer drive in the left lane quite as often. I was like you guys... "GTFO of my way!" type deal... until I got caught. Lost my license for 30 days and it makes life VERY difficult not being able to drive. Some of you will never get caught, more power to you, but I did and I have definitely changed my ways.

Last edited by bobgodd; 09-27-2009 at 03:16 AM.
Old 09-27-2009, 03:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
I'm not on the internet to make friends and gang up on people I don't like. I don't need any one of you to side with me, and I definitely don't need to be pressured into getting a ticket because someone else can't hold their wad.

If you go back to my post on page one, you'll see that it is unedited... You'll also see that I said that I will move, unless on an empty freeway. I remember driving through the night to visit family, and on I-5 north of the Grapevine in CA there's about 300 miles of pretty desolate driving, and there were no head lights behind me or tail lights in front of me for as far as I could see. Sure enough someone is blazing up at 90 or 100 or whatever and decides to try and move me, instead of going on about his/her way. Would you believe that this person followed me for almost 10 minutes rather than just switch lanes?! How much wasted time and energy is that?? That my friend, seems dumb to me.

EDIT: I also said that I no longer drive in the left lane quite as often. I was like you guys... "GTFO of my way!" type deal... until I got caught. Lost my license for 30 days and it makes life VERY difficult not being able to drive. Some of you will never get caught, more power to you, but I did and I have definitely changed my ways.
I know what you are saying and it makes sense logically. However, there is a whole safety thing about passing on the right. I realize on a freeway (esp. in CA) where all lanes are usually busy, then you pass wherever you can.

But if you read all the safety stuff, passing on the right can be more dangerous than passing on the left. The car's blind spot is the right rear. And that's exactly why all States (including CA) post signs that say "slower traffic keep right." There's no other reason.

So, that's where it comes from (the idea of moving out of the far left lane.)
http://www.ibiblio.org/rdu/resp/025-...-on-right.html
http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...the_right.html

I know if you're on an empty freeway it doesn't seem to matter. Other than maybe the guy might pass you on the right if he sees that you're not going to budge. But then all of a sudden you might decide to swing right to let him pass. And that's part of the danger (according to the CHP, etc..)

So it's (supposedly) safer to just move over if you're in the left lane.
Old 09-27-2009, 04:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Originally Posted by izzyz28
You said yourself that you remained in the left lane after passing. Perhaps this guy saw you cruising in the left lane while he was still a half mile back, and when he caught up you were still in the left lane, which pissed him off, so he got on your bumper. If all lanes are moving the same speed and you CAN'T get over, then it's a different story, but that's not what you said.

You never know what's going on with other people, and its usually best to be the bigger person and just get over and let them pass. Chances are they'll get pulled over anyways.

Also, if you want to get people on your side it would probably be best to not say things like "some wanna be in a debadged S class to boot". This statement just reeks of elitism, entitlement, and a better-than-you attitude. Maybe next time a guy in a Maybach will flash his lights at you instead of some poor schmuck in an S-class.
I dont really care who is on my side or not frankly - but was curious how guys here and in the US treat these situations.... and it seems there is definitely no cencensus.

Calling me elitist is somewhat uncalled for though... when did we meet up? You dont know a thing about me.

I saw the car; I know what it was... S320 dressed up to look "gangsta". His demeanor and attitude was typical of someone I dont care to associate with so

Crikey pal sorry I did not get my facts exactly right to start with ... You forget I moved over for the numb nuts ... but if I am doing 80mph I dont want some ***** parking his bumper within a yard of my rear bumper. Must I suddenly rush to move over because some guy driving like a ***** wants to pass me? You forget he suddenly accelerated and came up behind me from the middle lane its not as if he was cruising for a while and came up behind me...

I dont care what the lead up circumstances were. Its just dangerous. If I had my family in my car and had to brake suddenly then what - he is still the good guy right?
Old 09-27-2009, 04:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think I can summarise it ....

This is not too atypical of "forum rage" ... lol....

It comes down to courtesy.

I drive a fast car and I like driving it fast - If others do too good for them.

AS LONG AS THEY DONT MAKE THE ROADS DANGEROUS.
AS LONG AS THEY REMAIN COURTEOUS.

Not my rules - but think ones we all can relate to.

If some guy comes up behind me in what ever car, choses not to flap his arms I see him coming up on me - I will get out of his way asap - and I try to do so as best I can - I dont really care if he is doing 80mph or 120mph... its often "safe" to travel those speeds on a freeway when its clear... so it does not bother me. More often then not I get the hazzards afterwards to say thanks... simple - everyone is happy.

But if some num nuts drives up to me like this *****... its not too different to some guy walking up to you in a bar sticking his face right in front of yours and he says "get out of my way I want to order a drink". He will meet "resistance". But if he is courteous - sheesh its just simple manners and respect guys.

Boils down to this...

If you are in the fast lane move over for faster moving traffic. There is no rule saying you can block faster traffic.
If you are trying to overtake cars in the fast lane... don't be a ***** about it. You will make faster progress by not being aggressive.

Thats it - I am sorry I started this thread ... but its pretty interesting how divided opinions are on this.....
Old 09-27-2009, 09:30 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by 220S
I know if you're on an empty freeway it doesn't seem to matter. Other than maybe the guy might pass you on the right if he sees that you're not going to budge. But then all of a sudden you might decide to swing right to let him pass. And that's part of the danger (according to the CHP, etc..)

So it's (supposedly) safer to just move over if you're in the left lane.
I don't know how many times this has happened to me. I've followed people for a couple of miles, maybe flashed my lights a couple of times(not tailgating), and after a while it gets old, so I signal and begin to pass, when all of a sudden they change lanes right in front of me. Sometimes it's obviously on purpose, but many times they simply didn't expect someone to be passing on the right and thought it was safe.

BTW, I should link this thread to LS1tech and the Corral. Hopefully the guys there could get some inside knowledge and learn that only a select few MB drivers are self-centered *****s.

Stevebez: I don't need to meet you to judge your attitude. I have absolutely no problem with you as a person and I'm sure you're a great guy, but what people say and type on the internet is certainly a reflection of the way they think. I personally don't want to be put in a dangerous(and illegal in Illinois) situation by passing someone on the right because they won't move over from the left lane.

Bobgodd: You are the stereotypical Mercedes/BMW/Lexus driver that everybody hates. I bet you gab on your cell phone while you cruise in the left lane, don't you. You give us all a bad name, and I would have absolutely no qualms telling you in person. Regardless of how big and bad you think you are, there is always someone bigger and badder who would love to give you an earful. Be careful out there, I'd hate to see some guy in a beat-up truck sideswipe you "on accident" after you don't move out of the way.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:48 AM

Yugos only
Hate to say it guys, , but a lot of you are just reinforcing the "***** in an expensive car" stereotype. The "fast" or left lane is for passing. If you are done passing and can get over, then get over and let others pass. It doesn't matter of you're going 90, you should still yield to some moron doing 100.

In Illinois you can be ticketed for not yielding. Like Yacht Master said, let them pass and then use them as a rollling shield. Acting like the road is only yours to do with as you please will only make you look like an a**hole.
+1

I was taught, in driver ed, that at night you flashed your once or twice lights to overtake and indicate you want the person to give way from a safe distance like several car lengths depending on the speed. (The left lane is for passing and I have seen police enforce this in states like CT and NH.)

Some people (like truckers) still know this "rule of the road" and it is a courtesy to them especially since they HAVE to drive by mirror. As stevebez said, you can you give them the "hazards" after they (often) flash their lights after you have passed to indicate a safe distance to move over or as a courtesy. Other experienced drivers do the same thing in any vehicle.

Others see these safety techniques as a threat, a challenge or some other illusional behavior that I do not understand.

It's irresponsible and dangerous to pull right up to, or tailgate, the car in front at warp speed and then start flashing lights wildly. It obviously elicits anxiety, etc., which no one needs while driving.

Last edited by ivanj; 09-27-2009 at 10:02 AM.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I don't know how many times this has happened to me. I've followed people for a couple of miles, maybe flashed my lights a couple of times(not tailgating), and after a while it gets old, so I signal and begin to pass, when all of a sudden they change lanes right in front of me. Sometimes it's obviously on purpose, but many times they simply didn't expect someone to be passing on the right and thought it was safe.

BTW, I should link this thread to LS1tech and the Corral. Hopefully the guys there could get some inside knowledge and learn that only a select few MB drivers are self-centered *****s.

Stevebez: I don't need to meet you to judge your attitude. I have absolutely no problem with you as a person and I'm sure you're a great guy, but what people say and type on the internet is certainly a reflection of the way they think. I personally don't want to be put in a dangerous(and illegal in Illinois) situation by passing someone on the right because they won't move over from the left lane.

Bobgodd: You are the stereotypical Mercedes/BMW/Lexus driver that everybody hates. I bet you gab on your cell phone while you cruise in the left lane, don't you. You give us all a bad name, and I would have absolutely no qualms telling you in person. Regardless of how big and bad you think you are, there is always someone bigger and badder who would love to give you an earful. Be careful out there, I'd hate to see some guy in a beat-up truck sideswipe you "on accident" after you don't move out of the way.

+10000000000000
Old 09-27-2009, 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55
Some of you people are taking this far too seriously. Why get so bent out of shape about something you can't control? At the end of the day, does it really have an impact on your life???
Old 09-27-2009, 11:02 AM

'05 E55, '69 Chevelle
Is this over? I was just going to get the popcorn.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:11 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 E63, Cobra replica, 68 Camaro, 66 Chevy II SS, Z4 BMW, Honda Element, Birel 125cc Shifter Kart.
Spare it tough guy, I guarantee you wouldn't say that in person.

If I'm driving all alone minding my own business abiding the law in the LEFT lane, which is not a passing lane in CA (by definition it is supposed to be primarily used for passing but CA does not impose this rule because there are far to many cars on the road to not use every lane) and all other lanes are clear... Then the loser coming up behind me - which is probably you - can move just as easily as I can.

I won't purposely speed up or slow down to block someone. Like I said earlier though, I'll move if traffic is heavy and I'm blocking faster traffic from moving... But if traffic is light and the other driver can go around, I'm not going anywhere.

Believe it or not gentlemen, the speed limit in the left lane is 65 just like all the other lanes.
Just keep on digging dude. That hole your in is getting deeper every minute.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55
Originally Posted by speedpeddler
Just keep on digging dude. That hole your in is getting deeper every minute.
You're taking this way too serious. I bet you talk to people about this conversation in real life don't you?
Old 09-27-2009, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'15 E63S wagon
I have the solution for some of you (apparently) insecure people who look at being asked to move OUT of the left lane (no matter what the circumstance) as a personal attack on your "honor" and "courtesy." These people wanting you to move are complete strangers. Do you know how many points your blood pressure will drop if you just GTFO of the way instead of policing the left lane and enforcing your own egocentric set of rules? Just move out of the way, breathe deep, and BOOM the situation is resolved because YOU were the bigger man...crazy thought, I know.

But anyway here's the solution: the left-lane policers should all have their ***** length printed on a large sign in both inches AND cm (for the metric fans out there), so that when some "jackass" pulls up behind you too fast in the left lane, you can both raise the sign to each other and compare numbers. Whoever has printed the biggest number gets the left lane immediately. No if's and's or but's.

I can see it already...the world will suddenly become filled with insecure men in the left lane (more than just the ones on this forum who won't move) who all miraculously have 15"+ units.

Some of you need a serious reality check on your egos. It's frightening the way some of you think. Just move out of the left lane, period, and suddenly it's problem solved and this thread won't even exist.

Last edited by VCA_AMG; 09-27-2009 at 11:50 AM.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'09 E63 AMG sedan (sold); E36 M3, E90 M3
^^^ LOL
Old 09-27-2009, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

He is probally the same dousch that pulls out in front of us in a 45 zone and then drives 30 mph. We need huge push bumpers and just creme these people off the road. Complete morons!
Old 09-27-2009, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So how do I think?

I cannot remember half the time what I think about.

Can we just keep to the question I asked.... regardless if you think I was in the wrong or I was right.

Question is what would you have done in my situation? Otherwise this is going to end up in a popcorn episode...
Old 09-27-2009, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think the general consesus is get the hell out of the way and keep your childish gestures to yourself unless you want some serious problems.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Gee thats constructive...

You dont think its too agressive?

Try telling that to a bloke in a bar next time and see what he says.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by stevebez
Gee thats constructive...

You dont think its too agressive?

Try telling that to a bloke in a bar next time and see what he says.
Trust me, I am really scared! What the hell is a bloke by the way. You asked a question. I think everyone here feels the same, MOVE OVER! I will tell that to anyone or "bloke" in a bar or any where else for that matter.

What answer do you want.....ok here ya go...I would stay in the left lane and drive 50mph because I pay taxes and I can and everyone can go around me because I always wanted to be a cop and now I can slow people down by driving like and complete ahole!
Old 09-27-2009, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Bloke = guy = man

Ok. What are you scared about? You missed my point - again. I am just trying to point out that people drive more aggressively than they behave generally... At least I hope so.

I get stuck behind just as many guys hugging the fast lane as the next guy.

But at least I manage to keep my cool, remain safe and not be a numb nuts about it... And still I manage to get past them...

Also the scenario you point out I agree with!!! You obviously don't follow the situation I was in.

If you want to get all wound up about it c'est la vie.

Last edited by stevebez; 09-27-2009 at 01:59 PM.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You said tell it to some "bloke" in a bar and I said I am not scared. Anyways, I think you know my opinion, just get out of peoples way so you dont **** everyone off.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What do you do in this situation... ?