Tire woes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by david_d23
I have an 04 E55 running on Bridgestone RE960AS tires. These tires have 20000 miles on them. I would LOVE 20K in mileage personaly I bought the tires from a Firestone early last year. The problem I am having is that one of the tires, driver side front to be exact, is all jacked up. Take a look at the pictures to see what I am talking about.

About 2 months ago, I went over one of those steel plates they put over large construction holes. NO WAY a one time incident my friend When I went over it, I think the edge of my tire rubbed along the edge of the plate and it actually jerked my car to the side, pushing the car away from it.

Now, I look at the wear of the tire and think that when the edge of my tire met with the corner of that plate, it carved a groove into it. Add a 1000 miles of driving on it and I think that the image in the picture is the result.

I bought the the Road hazard warranty with these tires. They are not honoring it as they say that this is being caused by an alignment issue. My other tires are wearing a bit more on the inside, but no where near as bad. The rears are almost gone though...4/32 left.

Thoughts?
Two things come to mind:

1. What size tire is that, and what is the width of the rim. The third picture looks like you are trying to strecth the tire, aka a 225 on a 9" rim maybe. Or is it just a bad pic.

2. Have you been having alot of fun on twisty roads, with the front tires only inflated to I'll guess 25psi or less?

The previous owner of my S destroyed two front tires, with only 22PSI in them, and they look JUST LIKE YOURS. AKA alot of weight on an improperly inflated tire. It causes the side walls to flex too much, rideing on the edge of the trie, and wa-lla, cord
Old 10-13-2009, 03:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'15 E63S wagon
Originally Posted by velvet fog
Definitely looks like a rub to me. Take the tire off and look inside the wheel well for a shiny spot.

+1 Rubber doesn't wear like that unless it's contacting an obstruction and getting ground-down. Inspect the wheel well!
Old 10-13-2009, 08:52 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
2004 E55 AMG; 1995 Porsche 993 Cab.
Find a reputable local Tire shop that uses Hunter equipment.

Try this link... enter your ZIP.

http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/search/findgsp9700.cfm

Then call them and see if they have a Hunter alignment system too.
If you find a shop that has it, you should get a before and after report, which will probably show one wheel seriously amiss (at least mine was!).