Sponsored by:

at my wits end

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e55
at my wits end

I have an 04 e55 50k miles. I had the car 3 weeks and smelled a gas smell. I took it in to mercedes for the gas smell recall and they replaced a sleeve around the pump under the back seat and service advisor said that the smell was gone. The smell came back on my ride home. I then took the car to another mercedes dealer and they replaced the pump under the back seat still smelled. I took it back to the 2nd dealer again and they replaced a valve that conects to the charcoal canister in the passenger side rear tire fender well. You guessed it still smells of gas. The car only does it when it is mid day and hot after driving for 20-30 minutes. Thankfully I have the chrysler warranty with 100 dollar deductible and they paid every time and so have I. The gas smell is not inside the car unles the windows are down but you can smell it from 20 feetoutside the car and I have to leave my garage door open when I come home or my garage reeks of gas. Please let me know what you think as I have had the car 2.5 months and love it but this smell is driving me crazy. Thanks
Old 10-08-2009, 04:10 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 E55, 2009 VW GLI
i had a similar issue. my first go around was the seal replacement, new pump, hoses, etc. the smell came back about a year later and i had a new gas tank and a fuel pressure valve replaced...i'll dig up my records and PM you later.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:12 PM

E55
I think this is a well know problem with our cars. I live in Las Vegas, during the hot summer months my car always smells of gas. They have replace everthing and have told me that they are trying to fix the problem. This is a MB design flaw. My car is still under factory warranty. The tech told me that they mite have this solution in the next 6 months
Old 10-09-2009, 01:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 E63S
I have owned 2 e55's and both have had the same problem. Both cars have had the gas tanks replaced. There is an e63 at my dealership waiting for a new gas tank for the same problem. I hope MBZ does not place the same known design flawed system in the 2010 e63.

Both of my cars also had to all of the insulation in the back of the car replaced as it was completely fuel soaked.

Bottom line they have known about this issue for years and still have no solution. Unsatisfactory to say the least!
Old 10-09-2009, 01:58 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C55,SL55,C63
My brother's CLS55 is having the same gas smell too. I just IM'ed him with the link. So maybe he will chime in with his story. This is turning out to be a cause for a recall.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:02 AM

CLS55
I had/have this problem in my 06 CLS 55 - the pumps where cracked, and it soaked my foam (according to MB)... I have an aftermarket warranty and was told they would not cover the foam... seems crazy to me! What is the TSB number for the recall? My cars under extended warrant it should still be covered for TSB's correct?

After they replaced it the smell was still there but has since faded, but if my foam was damaged i want them to replace it!

Last edited by hoolamonster; 10-09-2009 at 02:13 AM.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 Mercedes E55
I had the same problem. After 4 trips to dealer they found a crack in gas tank and got a new gas tank. It solved the problem.

On the last occasion I forced them to keep the car and fill it up and drive it and then look for the leak. They then saw the drip from a hard to see area of the gas tank.