W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Cadillac V-series challenge..anybody want to bring their AMG/M/RS to challenge?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63
interesting.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:13 PM
Administrator

Received 524 Likes on 112 Posts
Drives Slowly
Originally Posted by Jon2007E63P30
Ahh yes, the inevitable end to most theads on MB world, the **** (pronounced kock) fight.
Yes but I think Anderson Silva won.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
GLK Matte Silver|MB Arts strut tower brace|MB Arts rear brace|Shaved door and bumper trim|K&N's|
This show is being televised right now as of 2:00 PST on Speed tv.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:29 PM

GLK Matte Silver|MB Arts strut tower brace|MB Arts rear brace|Shaved door and bumper trim|K&N's|
Johnny O'Connel won the challenge in a CTS-V. Top 3 positions were CTS-V's.
Old 12-20-2009, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 E63, 2005 Dodge Ram Hemi
Originally Posted by GLK4MATIC
How odd since Caddy had brought all their ringer drivers...BMW gave that guy with his M3 the royal treatment though..!! Good for them...
Old 12-20-2009, 06:34 PM

2014 CTS-V (6spd, phantom grey), 2010 Cadillac Escalade ESV (black raven)
The top three finishers were all professional hotshoes.
The rules of engagement were that you could not be a professional driver.
By GMs own rules, the M3 driven by Michael Cooper won the event.
I felt that this was a lose-lose for GM...
Old 12-21-2009, 12:59 AM

It was crazy to see that 7 CTS-V's were competeing. GM's main driver is the same person who set the record at (insert name here?) sorry the name of the track has slipped my mind at the moment. He was also part of the CTS-V development team which helps in giving GM an advantage since he has countless hours in the vehicle.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'15 E63S wagon
Originally Posted by shchow
The top three finishers were all professional hotshoes.
The rules of engagement were that you could not be a professional driver.
By GMs own rules, the M3 driven by Michael Cooper won the event.
I felt that this was a lose-lose for GM...
Why is it always the BMW drivers who are so blindly loyal as to completely disregard facts.

1) The "rules of engagement" said nothing about professionals or amateurs. It was open to all comers, AS CHOSEN by GM. It was GM's event. They could do what they wanted, and did, and stacked the deck. If BMW wanted to do the same thing, they could...but I bet John Hienricy would show up with a CTS-V and win again against whomever BMW could put into an M3.

2) The M3 did not win anything. Fastest lap by an amateur, sure. But that wasn't the event. It was fastest time on that track, on that day. GM won, period. Again, the event was set up by GM so they'd win, why's that so difficult to admit.

3) This was brilliant win-win marketing for GM b/c they knew they'd win, there's no car was going to compete with the CTS-V given the set-up of the event, and look at how much discussion has occurred since the event? Countless people now know that the CTS-V is a serious car, contender and leader in many respects. And I'm not even a CTS-V fan!

Friggen fanbois

Auto ENTHUSIASTS recognize good cars, not just brand labels, IMO.

Last edited by VCA_AMG; 12-21-2009 at 03:16 AM.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by mugatu22
Why is it always the BMW drivers who are so blindly loyal as to completely disregard facts.

1) The "rules of engagement" said nothing about professionals or amateurs. It was open to all comers, AS CHOSEN by GM. It was GM's event. They could do what they wanted, and did, and stacked the deck. If BMW wanted to do the same thing, they could...but I bet John Hienricy would show up with a CTS-V and win again against whomever BMW could put into an M3.

2) The M3 did not win anything. Fastest lap by an amateur, sure. But that wasn't the event. It was fastest time on that track, on that day. GM won, period. Again, the event was set up by GM so they'd win, why's that so difficult to admit.

3) This was brilliant win-win marketing for GM b/c they knew they'd win, there's no car was going to compete with the CTS-V given the set-up of the event, and look at how much discussion has occurred since the event? Countless people now know that the CTS-V is a serious car, contender and leader in many respects. And I'm not even a CTS-V fan!

Friggen fanbois

Auto ENTHUSIASTS recognize good cars, not just brand labels, IMO.
Take a chill pill...
The "official" terms of participation was that you could not be a professional driver. Look it up.
And if you did any sort of research before spewing off, most forums have recognized that the M3 "won" the event.
It was at best an infomercial for GM and did them no favors.
The CTS-V was already the darling of the automotive press and received tremendous amount of free publicity already; they did not need this stunt.
As for the "fanboi" commentary, I will take the C63 over the M3 in a heartbeat for my daily ride. Plan on getting the w212 E63 next. I've said as much on M5 and M3 forums; I use the same name on all the forums, so feel free to look it up.
And if you want to incite something, where the hell was AMG? You would think that someone/anyone in the NY area with a C63 would have showed up.
Actually, I know the answer, several C63s offered to participate, but GM hand picked the contestants to stack the deck.
Most people feel that Michael (Cooper, the M3 driver) was a sleeper and got past GMs screening process.
Another example of speaking before thinking. I hope this is not indicative of how you carry on in your daily life, DA

Last edited by shchow; 12-21-2009 at 07:16 AM.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:19 AM
Banned

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by GLK4MATIC
Big surprise.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:09 PM

2007 C230 and 1985 Monte SS
Originally Posted by indyjoe
If a manf. detunes an engine in one model just so it doesn't impact the sales of another model with the same engine, how could you say that it's not really "stock"? I don't know if the C would be able to run with the CTS with a "tune", but it should be given a fair shot. I'm not talking about an aggressive performance tune, I'm just talking about a "factory tune".
Originally Posted by Jon2007E63P30
OK, lets play the game.

The V really is a detuned 650HP motor. And the suspension is detuned to accomodate normal people. The tires are detuned racing slicks.
I don't know if you were being serious about the 650 hp, but the engine in the V is really a de-tuned LS9... i.e. from a ZR1, 620 hp
Old 12-23-2009, 05:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 E63S wagon
Originally Posted by shchow
Take a chill pill...
The "official" terms of participation was that you could not be a professional driver. Look it up.
I did look it up, guy. Obviously you didn't.

http://www.ctsvchallenge.com/official_rules.php

http://www.ctsvchallenge.com/pdf/ter...conditions.pdf

Here's a quote for you..."Professional Challenge Participants shall compete against GM professional drivers as applicable." LOL. Feeling stupid yet?

And if you did any sort of research before spewing off, most forums have recognized that the M3 "won" the event.
I read plenty of forums regarding this event. CTS-V forums all say they won, and EVERY BMW forum claims the M3 won (which it didn't). You're just another arrogant fanboi who's twisting the results to suit your agenda.

Another example of speaking before thinking. I hope this is not indicative of how you carry on in your daily life, DA
You are a prime example of the presumptuous, arrogant and condescending BMW owner that so many people can't stand. Congrats for reinforcing the stereotype. Keep your crap off this forum and in New JOISEY where it belongs. Buhbye!

Last edited by VCA_AMG; 12-23-2009 at 05:57 AM.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:47 AM

Since YOU launched the first salvo of attack, let me mop up...
Once again your grasp of this event is superficial at best...
GM constantly changed the terms of this event. It was constantly in flux. It was originally slated to be held on the west coast and open to everyone/anyone. At that point, there was interest voiced by the manufacturers...BMW, MB, Audi, etc...
But then GM changed their qualifications and the manufacturers backed out.
Then GM changed the venue to NY (Monticello) because it is a long track (>4miles) in order to favor a higher horsepower vehicle.
And professional drivers were excluded.
The CTS-V Challenge website does not elaborate on any of this.
If you actually discussed this with someone who participated in the event, you might get more insight into the dynamic of how this played out.
If you actually followed this from inception, you might actually have an opinion worth noting.
As for the CTS-V, it is a fantastic car, no doubt. No one said it wasn't. Hell, I was even planning on getting one (until I test drove the w212 E63). With the economy being what it is, I may still get it.
The target audience for the CTS-V was already well aware of its specifications and pedigree. This stunt had a circus atmosphere and was blatantly an informercial for GM.
It actually diminished the mystique the CTS-V had prior to the event. Seemed more like pandering to the public.
As far as your Jersey reference, usually the immature and desperate banter from someone on the losing end of a debate. It's like something I'd expect to hear from my 11 year old.
I really hope you are not reflective of the general membership on MBworld. Because that would be really, really...sad.

Last edited by shchow; 12-23-2009 at 08:33 AM.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 E63S wagon
Please, continue insisting the M3 won, and that you know all the rules better than anyone else. You're certainly reinforcing your humble, good natured and wise internet persona. Guys like you are a dime a dozen on the M forums, and you're all the same arrogant, holier-than-thou DAs who think you know it all...which is why we enjoy the company here.

You've presented your opinions in ways that make it impossible for anyone to listen, especially me. I relish a good "debate," but don't have time for pompous blowhards. Bye bye.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:52 PM

There was no "holier than thou" attitude.
You interpreted my commentary in your own insecure way and YOU attacked me, don't forget that. And I responded appropriately.
You made broad sweeping stereotyping and when called to task, you resorted to immature statements, 'uhhh, well your from Joisey'. Gee, that said it all...
I guess it is true, arguing on the internet really is like the Special Olympics...
Old 12-23-2009, 09:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
If Heinracy and O'Connell are GM employees, they are illegibile, right? I don't have a dog in this fight, but it's clear that the track improved significantly when it dried out and the M3 didn't get another shot. Cadallic has been using the track for testing for 18 mos, reminds me of the Olympic scoring from the eastern bloc, (when they existed).
Old 12-23-2009, 10:59 PM

IMHO, I know even if the M3 did go again on a drier track, it would not have bested Heinricy or O'Connell.
What I object to about this infomercial/challenge was that the original concept was how easy the CTS-V is to drive well, and that Everyman can push it hard and manage the car relatively easily. What it turned out to be was a glorified infomercial with GM stacking the deck with ringers to ensure that they 'won' the event. So it really wasn't a 'competition'.
I think most people (except for Mugatu22) saw through this sham.
I think that if Lutz had been the only GM rep and accepted being bested by another vehicle, most people would have given him more credit and the challenge would have been viewed with some credibility.
Old 12-24-2009, 01:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 E63S wagon
I would agree the "challenge" was stacked, obviously. It was a GM event, why would they allow someone to ruin their party?

The amount of play GM has received from this event makes it worthwhile for GM, IMO. We obviously disagree about whether this event made GM look good or bad.

My opinion is that in this situation, any press is good press. It got people (including us) talking/arguing/c*ck fighting about whether the CTS-V is a better car than a MBZ or BMW or Jaguar, etc. That alone makes the event a success, given decades of Cadillac's image as a grandma-mobile. Whether you believe the event was "fair", stacked or a sham, isn't the point...I think it was a sham, and why shouldn't it be...it was GM event.

As as a marketing ploy, I do think it was brilliant for GM. And the M3 didn't win.
Old 12-24-2009, 06:44 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
CL63, 2014 ML63, 2008 ML63, R500, GLK
I'd take on a CTS-V in a drag race.... if.. its best out of 7.

The CTS-V's engine performance would seriously decline after 2-3 runs with those superchargers and inadequate intercoolers.