Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used Renntech 168mm $700

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 02:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55 AMG --old cars -- E39 M5, 2.7tt Audi S4, E36 M3 **Ducati 996, 748
I am looking to purchase one soon -- So, let me know the price--- PM me and i can giv you my email for some pics.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55 2004 Audi S4 (gone and missed)
Originally Posted by jangy
That is right Charles. The butt dyno LOVED it. But the real dyno showed the truth. Why do you thinkI ended up going with an ECU tune? Again, the only time I feel the tune is needed is on an '06 and newer. Back then, we didn't know about the TQ managment that the new flash brought. It is the same for older cars that have the dreaded secondary injector flash.

If you remember, even with an early tune (before Renntech accepted or figured out TQ managment), your car was pulling timing at the top end. RT said it was due to cooling and I said it was something else. It turned out to be the ECU.
Can someone please elaborate on this TQ management thing please? Are you saying that the ECU is tuned differently on an 06 than on the earlier models? Why is it that you can run just a pulley w/out a tune on an early model and get good results but not on a 2006? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:44 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by NDF55
Can someone please elaborate on this TQ management thing please? Are you saying that the ECU is tuned differently on an 06 than on the earlier models? Why is it that you can run just a pulley w/out a tune on an early model and get good results but not on a 2006? Thanks in advance.
Yes, MB upped the encryption and drivetrain protection with the introduction of the CLS55. At the time, MB also released the ecu flash that goes along with it that covered even earlier models. Members started to notice the loss in power and were only able to get the power back by reverting to a tune that was based on an ECU file released back in '03 - '04. The '06 cars built in '06 continued to have issues due to hardware incompatibility with an '03 ECU file that had been modified. After some datalogging, it was found that the car was pulling power in various situations, most notable when the boost hits 14psi. Also, at that time, the word was not that a pulley with no tune ran fine. Most serious members were doing Pulley and TB and maybe even headers. With that combination, the power being pulled is only at the highest engine speeds and so the battle between getting rid of heat and making power began again. Eventually, that TQ managment was better understood and the top end on these cars have really been openned up.