My Weekend in Chicago

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 10:17 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
My Weekend in Chicago

So I decided to drive out to Chicago to give Jerry at Eurocharged a shot at tuning my car. I left Mayland on thursday night and I drove non stop (except for gas fill ups and one McD's break) in the rain with a friend to the Eurocharged shop, which is pretty nice. I got there around 645am and Jerry was already there. I had smashed the vband clamp on one of my exhaust pipes on the way up and Jerry put the car on the lift and happened to have one at the shop and helped me put it on (by this time Jake showed up and helped too; nice guy as well). I torqued it down a little too much and broke the bolt So he gave me the keys to his car and I ran down the street and bought another bolt to temporarily use. He showed me my current t00n and asked my what I wanted done with my car. I told him and he tuned my car the way I wanted on the dyno. Unfortunately the dyno wideband was having trouble staying hot but I had a wideband in my car to use. It made some good power on the dyno and when I took it for a spin I spun all the way through second and into third. I met all the Eurocharged guys and Tony helped with tuning/dynoing. They even ordered pizza at the shop while we were there and offered to let me and my friend sleep on their couch since I hadn't slept in over 24hrs. Track times to come soon but if the dyno numbers translate to the track expect a new MB record

I met up with some forum members in Chicago at night. Marcus Frost, Aleksander, and Samas. We all went downtown and they showed me around the city. Great group of guys with some nice cars. I had a blast and so did my friend.

We were supposed to fine tune it at the track the next day but when I got there it was raining and continued to rain and the track day was cancelled. I met a few guys there includng camdon, who was also cool. I needed more fuel added to my tune but Jerrys laptop battery died Hopefully they can make it out to MIR on the 30th to fine tune a few cars there.

Overall I had a great time in Chicago. Then I had to make the long drive home. About 100 miles into the drive home I hit a big bump and blew out rear tire. I had no spare so I ended up driving 400 miles on... SLICKS!!!! I'm really tired but thats what I can remember as of now.

Jerry was able to make some good power out of my car. Can't wait to see what it does at the track
Old 10-18-2009, 10:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 E55
Ahmad, I am glad that you made it home safe. It was raining badly for past 4 days and driving on slicks could be tough in Penn-MD.

Can't wait to see the latest numbers on your rocket!
Old 10-18-2009, 11:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55 AMG
I'm glad you finally got your tune taken care of and I can't wait for you to break the MB record, it would be well deserved my friend. Sorry to hear about you guys getting rained out this past weekend...damn rain. Anyways, glad you made it home safely on your drag setup.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E55
Good read, I met this guy as he pulled into the garage at Alek's place in CHC. It was there I purchased the E55 of Aleks and drove away with my wife... Awesome night! Good to meet you my friend hope to catch up sometime down the road!
Old 10-19-2009, 12:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
Ahmad it was great to meet you and my pleasure showing you and Aiden around the city, even if only for a few hours in the evening. Even though the weekend was less than ideal, at least you made it home! Quite an adventure.

You're welcome here anytime.

-m
Old 10-19-2009, 01:25 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
Like you weren't fast enough...
Old 10-19-2009, 02:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
cant wait to see the results!

Trending Topics

Old 10-19-2009, 08:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030
Fun times,

hopefully the tune translates onto the 1/4 mile. Did they install a chute? hahaha

Dam man you drove to Chicago, my goodness..

No visit from Jim?
Old 10-19-2009, 10:49 AM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by Karlson
Ahmad, I am glad that you made it home safe. It was raining badly for past 4 days and driving on slicks could be tough in Penn-MD.

Can't wait to see the latest numbers on your rocket!
Yea, the rain sucked! But luckily I didn't hit any on the drive home. I will take a picture of the blown tire. It completely came apart! I had tickets to the Caps game sat night when Ovie had a hat trick but I wanted to run at the track and that didnt happen because of rain

I'm just as excited!!! I may to some shake down passes this weekend in preperation for Oct. 30th rental at MIR
Originally Posted by bassn_07
I'm glad you finally got your tune taken care of and I can't wait for you to break the MB record, it would be well deserved my friend. Sorry to hear about you guys getting rained out this past weekend...damn rain. Anyways, glad you made it home safely on your drag setup.
Yea, it has been a longgg wait but its almost where I want it to be. Jerry seems like a very capable tuner The gains on the dyno exceeded all my expectations. I hope it translates to the track. You know how I feel about dyno numbers lol.
Originally Posted by 007Benz
Good read, I met this guy as he pulled into the garage at Alek's place in CHC. It was there I purchased the E55 of Aleks and drove away with my wife... Awesome night! Good to meet you my friend hope to catch up sometime down the road!
Nice to meet you as well. Enjoy the car, E55s are real monsters!
Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
Ahmad it was great to meet you and my pleasure showing you and Aiden around the city, even if only for a few hours in the evening. Even though the weekend was less than ideal, at least you made it home! Quite an adventure.

You're welcome here anytime.

-m
I wish I had more time to spend there, it was awesome. Aiden and I both plan on going back to Chicago but this time we are flying! That drive was killer since I don't like to stop. I calculated over 24hrs of total driving this weekend.
Originally Posted by BenzoBoi
Like you weren't fast enough...
I wasn't, there are people faster Can't wait to see what your car does!
Originally Posted by jturkel
cant wait to see the results!
You and me both
Originally Posted by juicee63
Fun times,

hopefully the tune translates onto the 1/4 mile. Did they install a chute? hahaha

Dam man you drove to Chicago, my goodness..

No visit from Jim?
Hahaha, no chute. It won't be necessary. Thats what I hope too. Dyno numbers are nice but track numbers are even better!!!

Yup, I drove to Chicago with slicks and skinnies in the car and my friend and our luggage. What race car? It felt strong even with the extra weight
Old 10-19-2009, 10:57 AM

07 E63 AMG / 07 C230 / 14 E350
Nice experience...and glad to hear that you have great time...sorry to hear that you couldn't make the dyno run but at least you had a great time...that's what matter!!
Old 10-19-2009, 11:02 AM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by JoelE55
Nice experience...and glad to hear that you have great time...sorry to hear that you couldn't make the dyno run but at least you had a great time...that's what matter!!
Thanks. I actually did get tuned on the dyno, its just that the track day got cancelled because of the rain. We were going to fine tune the tune at the track. Yea I definitely had a great time.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
Thanks. I actually did get tuned on the dyno, its just that the track day got cancelled because of the rain. We were going to fine tune the tune at the track. Yea I definitely had a great time.
I'm going to have my car fine tuned at the track as well Ahmad. Could you please explain how that would be that much more beneficial over dyno tuning. I know I brought this subject up before but I still have a few questions. I'm using oxygenated 100 octane race fuel and it seems to bring my AFR's up about .3-.4 during a 1/4 mile run with advanced timing. How would a tuner get more power out of the car with this already happening? It basically seems like the ECU self adjusted quite a bit unless my timing could be ran even higher with then it's adjusting for. I believe my AFR with race fuel (100 octane) was at 12.2-12.3 at redline and my timing at 19.5.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:06 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by bassn_07
I'm going to have my car fine tuned at the track as well Ahmad. Could you please explain how that would be that much more beneficial over dyno tuning. I know I brought this subject up before but I still have a few questions. I'm using oxygenated 100 octane race fuel and it seems to bring my AFR's up about .3-.4 during a 1/4 mile run with advanced timing. How would a tuner get more power out of the car with this already happening? It basically seems like the ECU self adjusted quite a bit unless my timing could be ran even higher with then it's adjusting for. I believe my AFR with race fuel (100 octane) was at 12.2-12.3 at redline and my timing at 19.5.
The way I see it, the dyno doesnt really replicate the airflow and load that your car sees on the street/track. So you can get it in the ballpark with a dyno tune and then dial it in at the track. Yes, oxygenated fuel does raise your afr a bit and if you want to take full advantage of race gas you will need to add timing, but then you can't switch back to pump gas without switching the tune back. I'm not necesarily getting the car tuned at the track for more power (although this may end up being the case) but to make sure afr's are in check and no knock/detonation/misfire/etc under real world conditions
Old 10-19-2009, 02:26 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Whatever we're tuning!
Ahmad-
Congrats on finally getting that BEAST tuned.

You sound like you're excited again after getting the tune done!

Can you see 9's in the future?

Can't wait to see it run at MIR!!!
Old 10-19-2009, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 41 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes
Hey Ahmad! Nice to meet you. I'm glad you decided to come out, I know it is a far drive!! It was a fun weekend, a little cold, but still a good time nonetheless. Your car is a beast! Sorry you couldn't run it on sat, it would have been awesome to see! Come back to Chicago anytime!

Btw, I cannot believe you blew a tire, and had to drive back on slicks!!
Old 10-19-2009, 02:42 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by TTMotorsports
Ahmad-
Congrats on finally getting that BEAST tuned.

You sound like you're excited again after getting the tune done!

Can you see 9's in the future?

Can't wait to see it run at MIR!!!
Thanks! Just needs a bit more tweaking.

Yea this new tune exceeded my dyno expectations by a lot. I am very anxious to see what it does on the track now. Its been over 8 months since I've had a decent tune on my car The before/after were done on 2 different dynos but they are the exact same type of dyno. I went to Eurocharged to get my afr's right and maybe gain up to 20whp as a bonus. It gained alot more than that...

Not going to be able to run 9s on a stock motor. Maybe after rods/pistons and higher boost it would be possible but once I get this tune dialed in I am pretty much done with this car. Maybe just add an ice reservoir.

Are you coming on Oct 30th too? I can tell you that I will probably launch it off the stall for the first time with the new rim/tire setup. I have 2 spare axles, hopefully nothing else breaks.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:50 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Whatever we're tuning!
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
Are you coming on Oct 30th too? I can tell you that I will probably launch it off the stall for the first time with the new rim/tire setup. I have 2 spare axles, hopefully nothing else breaks.
I'll be at Atco this Friday(Oct 23rd) with an E63 that I just finished building looking for some decent numbers.

Made 464rwhp with some nice goodies!

Still stock axles or did someone FINALLY make you a built set?

I'll have to wait until Dec 5th to see your ***** LAUNCH!!!!

Bat out of heII I tell youi!
Old 10-19-2009, 02:52 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by aleksandar1099
Hey Ahmad! Nice to meet you. I'm glad you decided to come out, I know it is a far drive!! It was a fun weekend, a little cold, but still a good time nonetheless. Your car is a beast! Sorry you couldn't run it on sat, it would have been awesome to see! Come back to Chicago anytime!

Btw, I cannot believe you blew a tire, and had to drive back on slicks!!
Hey Aleks! It was great to meet you as well. Thaks for showin me and Aiden around Chicago! It's a really nice place and I definitely wanna go back. Can't wait to see what you do when you get your new car And let me know if you are ever in the area

Yea, I had no other options besides flat bedding it. All the lcoal tire places either only sold truck tires or didn't have the size I needed or were closed. So I bolted the slicks on and crossed my fingers haha
Old 10-19-2009, 07:57 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
2006 CLS55 & 2002 SL55 (R129) Silver Arrow
Hey Ahmad.
Glad to hear that your close to finalizing your tune.
I've been following your saga for quite a while now and hope your car's performance exceeds your expectations.

Good luck at the track my friend. Looking forward to reading of your success down the quarter.

On a side note, still waiting for Wayne/LET to finalize my tune after months of waiting for my revised file...
I too am anxious to finish my tune.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:04 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by Tech-Tune
Hey Ahmad.
Glad to hear that your close to finalizing your tune.
I've been following your saga for quite a while now and hope your car's performance exceeds your expectations.

Good luck at the track my friend. Looking forward to reading of your success down the quarter.

On a side note, still waiting for Wayne/LET to finalize my tune after months of waiting for my revised file...
I too am anxious to finish my tune.
Hi Alex! Thanks. Contact Jerry at Eurocharged and he will get you what you need. Good luck
Old 10-20-2009, 09:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 996 Turbo, 05 CLK55 AMG
Hey Ahmad, nice to meet you and Aiden, good to hear you guys made it back safe...

btw your car sounds sick !!!
Old 10-20-2009, 11:22 AM

'13 Dodge Dart, '16 Audi Q5
I'll be at Atco this Friday(Oct 23rd) with an E63 that I just finished building looking for some decent numbers.

atco on friday? damn, i was hoping to avoid atco this weekend, now I may have to come out...

blackbenzz, look forward to seeing your car on the 30th, should make for some good times.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:07 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Whatever we're tuning!
Originally Posted by ZAHANMA
atco on friday? damn, i was hoping to avoid atco this weekend, now I may have to come out...
Friday at Atco is a private track rental but you are welcome to come down and watch a TTM built E63 set the standard!
Old 10-20-2009, 12:12 PM

'13 Dodge Dart, '16 Audi Q5
Friday at Atco is a private track rental but you are welcome to come down and watch a TTM built E63 set the standard!
oh you are going during the day... i was thinking the grudge racing at night...my bad. won't be able to make it down during the day...damn work. though i'd love to come see that.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:27 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by SaMaS
Hey Ahmad, nice to meet you and Aiden, good to hear you guys made it back safe...

btw your car sounds sick !!!
Nice to meet you as well Thomas. Your car was so loud I could hear it over mine! And your car was cleannnnnn, very nice
Originally Posted by ZAHANMA
blackbenzz, look forward to seeing your car on the 30th, should make for some good times.
Thanks, keep your fingers crossed!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My Weekend in Chicago