Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel Vibration

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 08:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK63 Black, E350 Wagon, Supercharged Denali, Lotus Elise, Tesla Model 3 Dual-Motor.
You can balance & rebalance your wheels until your blue in the face.

I had the same issue and tried the same rebalancing of the wheels.
Only after I had the wheels repaired, did the problems go away.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:03 AM

2006 E55 Designo 1991 190E 2.3 2000 BMW 740i 1987 PORSHCE 928S4
Originally Posted by Karlson
Got a problem and don't really know what else can it be? I put 19 inches wheels and there were a vibration. I took them for balancing and wheel shop sad now it should be fine. I hear some noise and wheel vibrates when I am doing 45-65mph, but then I go 70 or more it stops vibrating and there no more noise. Rear wheel is a little bent, but I don't see why would a wheel vibrate. What can it be guys? Is it a tie rod, I thought a wheel bearing, but wheel stop vibrating at higher speeds. Any input would he helpful

Thanks
I had this same problem on my BMW740. After replacing the wheel and tire to plus 1. I took me awhile to get everything sorted out. Discount Tire replaced the tires 3 times different brands and checks the wheels for straightness. I'll presume you've already tried your old set of wheel and tire the problem went away. If this is the case have all suspension check thoroughly by a very good E55 mechanic. I took it to 3 different place 2 said no problem and the dealer said yes suspension are issue. Although I don’t take the stealers word I did more search in the forum and found my answer. Owners were reporting the same issues and replaced the parts and problem resolve. So I replaced the lower, upper control arms and tie ride ends to get rid of this problem. After replacing the suspension pieces it still some vibration in some speeds so another wheel balancing was required. All my problems went away after all that. Good luck I hope this helps.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Originally Posted by MACHC5

What was wrong with the wheels?
Old 10-20-2009, 11:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 E55
Originally Posted by MACHC5

Originally Posted by stevebez

Get the bent rim fixed too.... that seems like an obvious starting point to me.

If I only knew what to repair I would do it in a heartbeat!! Come on boys, I already said that twice, bent is on a rear and very reputable shop sad that it is not a problem to drive around. The wheel vibration is in FRONT.

Last edited by Karlson; 10-20-2009 at 12:25 PM.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ML550
Don't assume your front wheels are not bent. Big mistake. HRE's are notorious for bending easily. You need to have the two front tires dismounted, and then have bare rim radial and lateral runout measurements taken of the front two wheels on a GSP9700. Then, and only then, will you know whether or not one or both are out of round or bent.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:41 PM

2006 E55 Designo 1991 190E 2.3 2000 BMW 740i 1987 PORSHCE 928S4
Originally Posted by komp55
Don't assume your front wheels are not bent. Big mistake. HRE's are notorious for bending easily. You need to have the two front tires dismounted, and then have bare rim radial and lateral runout measurements taken of the front two wheels on a GSP9700. Then, and only then, will you know whether or not one or both are out of round or bent.
I agree with you. Discount tire did the same procedure to rule out the wheel and tire for my problem.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:30 PM

2014 SL 63 AMG with PP. Black on Black.
Had the very same problem when I picked up my brand new E55 about 5 years ago. They said:
1. Tires get a little flatspotted on trip from Germany. Drive it for a day or so and it will get better. (by the way they must think I am an idiot who never had high perf cars before). Suprise never got better. They rebalanced tires and said all was well.
2. Tires were out of round. They replaced all 4 tires. Said all was better.
3. Said it was a bent wheel and tried to cahrge me for it. I pointed out that the problem was evident from the time I picked up the car. They said "oh, sorry". They then exchanged wheels and tires from another E55. Manager drove it and problem persisted. Old wheels back on.
4. Drive shaft out of balance. New drive shaft installed. Problem persists.
5. Said that all high performance cars with wide tires do this and is normal. I again pointed out that I was not the idiot.
6. Factory toe-in settings caused the scrubbing of the tires which caused vibration. Adjusted alignment and there was some improvement.
7. Rubber bushings in suspension have too much play for the wide tires. Replaced with special euro spec polyurathane bushings. Got a little better.
8. I bought Bridgestones and got rid of Contis and problem got a little better.
9. Eventually gave up trying to solve issue. I still loved the car though. Have been without MB for about 2 years. Recently picked up '09 SL 550. Vibration issue resolved....

Good luck!
Old 10-20-2009, 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 E55
UPDATE: Just got back my car from Curry's. Apparentely, they used road force balance tires. Looks like wheel vibration is gone, at least not that noticable when i am doing 45-55mph. They stated that Left front was brought down to 9lbs and all others are below 25lbs, index tires to wheels as required. But, there is a lot of noise like a wheel bearing when i am driving 45-55mph.. I guess I am putting my stock once for now and one of wheels is bent so it makes that kind of noise or may be tires are shot.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 E55
and I think I solved my problem. I removed my front wheels for further inspection. Fasteners are ok, but on my front driver side( where the noise was coming from) I saw a cut to the steel of the tire, maybe simply possible wear and aging of the tire but I put stock once back and it is front driver is the problem, so it is not a bent related. Just ordered another tire from tirerack.com and praying that it will finally solve my problem.