Question about buying

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 02:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2004 E55, 1997 E320 "Sold"
Question about buying

Hi guys. Looking to move up to the w210 or w211 amg class. I was looking to buy a w210 e55 but found a great deal on a w211 that is giving me second thoughts. The car is an 06' with 60k miles with one owner, black on black with keyless go, hundred percent solid exterior and interior with perfect car fax. The car is in Texas the entire time and the dealer wants 26k. I was going to again buy the w210 in cash with the money I had saved, but for 10k from a loan I could buy this. What are your guy's opinion on pricing on such a vehicle as described and what questions should I ask when I negotiate or look for problems? Thanks.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
A car always sounds good on paper/internet, it is not until you are actually in front of it kicking tires do things stand out that would otherwise bug you. If I were you find someone nearby to take a look at the car to report back.

The price is very good though, perhaps even too good if you know what I mean. Good luck.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:53 AM

2005 E55
i agree completely with the last post. More often that not, vehicles are represented as being better on the internet than they actually are.

I don't have any experience with the w210, but I did have a W220 S55 and now I have a W211 E55. The difference in power is unbelievable, and I REALLY like the W211. For me, I'd spring for the newer/more powerful car.....I think it is worth it.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07 E63 AMG / 07 C230 / 14 E350
Originally Posted by dgreen1069
i agree completely with the last post. More often that not, vehicles are represented as being better on the internet than they actually are.

I don't have any experience with the w210, but I did have a W220 S55 and now I have a W211 E55. The difference in power is unbelievable, and I REALLY like the W211. For me, I'd spring for the newer/more powerful car.....I think it is worth it.
x2 on this post...looks can be deceiving...try to find one in your area so that you can test drive it. There a few here in So Cal...but they're selling at mid $30k....If you are not in the hurry, wait until the end of the year you might find something more suitable..
Old 10-21-2009, 01:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

you guys were right! There is always a catch, the car had a salvage title because it was reported stolen and recovered a few days later. The car is perfect but with a salvage title you can not get a loan on it. So, back to the drawing boards. What do you guys think about buying out of state? I live in Arizona and my dad is telling me that the credit union or chase bank will not give me a loan for a car out of state which they can not see themselves? I would definitely like to take all precautions before buying, but do you think the prices will continue to drop further in the coming months or is now as good as a time ever to buy? Lastly, should I be expecting to pay more for a black car instead of a silver since they are harder to come across? thx.

Last edited by mikey33; 10-21-2009 at 01:59 AM.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG 030
Hey Im in Az to so I thought I would do a little looking since I got my car in scottsdale for one of the best deal out side of auction I've ever seen. here are a couple.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/1422097279.html

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...e&rdpage=thumb

Old 10-21-2009, 02:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hey Thanks for those listings. Today I just went to look at the last car you posted at the showcase Honda in Phoenix. The people told me they still had it and after 45 minutes of driving and I get there they tell me they sold it the day before! These stealer dealers really can not be trusted because most of the time they talk out of their rear end. Anyways, I'm in Gilbert so we are only about twenty to twenty five minutes apart. I would ideally like to buy from a private owner and in Arizona with one or two owners and car history maintained with records. I know it is hard to find, but you can not buy a car of this calibur with part of a loan and than run into problems after buying it. By the way, where did you get your car from if you mind?
Old 10-21-2009, 10:57 AM

07 E63 AMG / 07 C230 / 14 E350
Originally Posted by mikey33
you guys were right! There is always a catch, the car had a salvage title because it was reported stolen and recovered a few days later. The car is perfect but with a salvage title you can not get a loan on it. So, back to the drawing boards. What do you guys think about buying out of state? I live in Arizona and my dad is telling me that the credit union or chase bank will not give me a loan for a car out of state which they can not see themselves? I would definitely like to take all precautions before buying, but do you think the prices will continue to drop further in the coming months or is now as good as a time ever to buy? Lastly, should I be expecting to pay more for a black car instead of a silver since they are harder to come across? thx.
In this case, why don't you take out a personal loan and buy the car out right..I had friends that live in Tucson Az that had recently bought a S55 from a used car lot and he got the loan approve just fine. May be you need to do some more research on this..But if you can get it from a private party that is even better because you can bargain in price a bit..
Old 10-21-2009, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG 030
Originally Posted by mikey33
Hey Thanks for those listings. Today I just went to look at the last car you posted at the showcase Honda in Phoenix. The people told me they still had it and after 45 minutes of driving and I get there they tell me they sold it the day before! These stealer dealers really can not be trusted because most of the time they talk out of their rear end. Anyways, I'm in Gilbert so we are only about twenty to twenty five minutes apart. I would ideally like to buy from a private owner and in Arizona with one or two owners and car history maintained with records. I know it is hard to find, but you can not buy a car of this calibur with part of a loan and than run into problems after buying it. By the way, where did you get your car from if you mind?
I got it from north scottsdale Carfaxed showed it was a clean one owner car with a few miles but I couldnt pass up the deal it had warranty with a Stage I renntech. I bought if off of ebay with out seeing it or driving it ( never even drove a E55 prior to this). But turned out good.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:37 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
I dont know why but the AMG brand is starting to call my name again... as a former W211 E500 owner... I am thinking about the E55... if I start looking, is there anything I should be watching out for on the W211 E55s? I know I would be looking at a 2006 only...

hoping I can track down a white with black interior and pano roof
Old 10-21-2009, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG 030
Originally Posted by 55fanatic
I dont know why but the AMG brand is starting to call my name again... as a former W211 E500 owner... I am thinking about the E55... if I start looking, is there anything I should be watching out for on the W211 E55s? I know I would be looking at a 2006 only...

hoping I can track down a white with black interior and pano roof
White seems to be the most desired color at the moment so it will make your search more pricey and harder. But just make sure it has a warranty and every thing visually looks good because then you will be set since the warranty will cover almost every thing.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG 030
[QUOTE=mikey33;3773630]Hey Thanks for those listings. Today I just went to look at the last car you posted at the showcase Honda in Phoenix. The people told me they still had it and after 45 minutes of driving and I get there they tell me they sold it the day before! These stealer dealers really can not be trusted because most of the time they talk out of their rear end. Anyways, I'm in Gilbert so we are only about twenty to twenty five minutes apart. I would ideally like to buy from a private owner and in Arizona with one or two owners and car history maintained with records. I know it is hard to find, but you can not buy a car of this calibur with part of a loan and than run into problems after buying it. By the way, where did you get your car from if you mind?[/QUOTE

hey just noticed the first and second one i posted are the same.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 ML63 2009 SL63 2010 Alpha 7 GTR
Hey Mikey I would just skip the whole E55 stage all together and go straight for a CL65...ha
Old 10-22-2009, 03:37 PM

E63 AMG
Not sure if White is going to make it more pricey or not. I guess it depends where you live. I've got a white E55, loaded with everything except pano roof. I paid clean wholesale for mine from a private owner in Chicago.

Arizona typically has a pretty good selection of E55s. I saw quite a few of them in the scottsdale area. Make sure you check craigslist as well.