W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Staging deep or shallow?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55 AMG
Ahhh...good, I really thought I was the only one who didn't know this stuff. Thanks Evan for your detailed explanation . I will definitely focus more on the staging aspect of dragging the next time out. Good stuff guys!
Old 10-24-2009, 02:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Crossfire SRT6
Originally Posted by chiromikey
i think he's saying there's no advantage to deep staging...
Thanks Mikey.

Originally Posted by cahiil55k
Damm I think you're right! There's 4 minutes I'll never get back.
LOL, you'll probably lose .05 hundredths than .5 tenths on a deep stage. For heads up bragging rights, use every advantage available.

Originally Posted by jturkel
evan.....you are a dragstrip genius
Thanks but not even close. I get chewed up and spit out by the hardcore guys. I can hold my own at least sometimes, considering I'm running a street car to their full blown race cars. It's a great feeling taking out a 9 sec camaro in the 1st round.

Originally Posted by nrgy
I remember reading on one of those drag racing forums that it takes around .3 seconds just to go the first foot. So it would make seem to make sense to shallow stage. I will try it next time for sure.
Every car is a little different and add your reaction to it and you'll nail the perfect launch soon enough. Also find out if your track has the sportsman tree at .5 or .4 tenths in between bulbs. To get more technical .3 is pretty quick but is about right. Add the time it takes you to react to the 3rd amber, let off the brake, car to move and .5 takes pretty long to happen. With practice you will slow it down in your mind and watch the 2nd amber turn off and literally see the 3rd amber illuminate. Try shallow staging and leaving on 2nd amber shutting off, and see if you still are green. If so then your just over the .05 of total time to launch. Remember spinning off the line usually won't affect your reaction time because you'll move a few inches before they spin.

Originally Posted by bassn_07
Ahhh...good, I really thought I was the only one who didn't know this stuff. Thanks Evan for your detailed explanation . I will definitely focus more on the staging aspect of dragging the next time out. Good stuff guys!
Quite welcome being comfortable and familiar with your car is your greatest advantage.