MIR dragday...my first time drag racing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55 AMG
Thumbs up MIR dragday...my first time drag racing

There were a few MB's that turned out for this event... Ahmad and Jay ran their cars and were very helpful in giving me advise through the day...Clayton (Benz O Rama) helped me out the most and drove my car to some amazing runs...

BOR ran an excellent 11.55 @120mph with All Season tires!!

As for me...I ran for the first time ever in my life down the quarter mile in my life got a 12.48 @114 mph with a 60 ft of 2.125 not a bad "pop your cherry run"....had to get advice from guys like Clayton, Jay, Ahmad and Tony on how to do basic things like stage, burnout, strategy etc...half way down the track on my first pass I remember having a huge grin accross my face when I realized "hey this is pretty fun, just relax and enjoy it!!"

Did a few more back to back runs until Tony finally told me to relax and let the SC cool off. My times were 12.4x @114 mph, what I realy needed to work on was lowering my 60ft times..

With a few hrs left in the day Clayton (Benz-O-Rama) asked me if he could drive my car and I agreed. To my amazement (and the Eurocharged crew as well as Ahmad and the others)...BOR piloted my car to CONSISTANT 12.0x runs at least 8 runs back to back with a small ice break after the first 4...we were pushing real hard to try to get into 11.9's and the guys and I felt like we may have had it (if I had drag radials but I was on street tires...but we pushed anyway) and BOR gave it a great shot but we came just short at a best time of 12.03 @115 mph w/ 1.73 60 ft time ... a testament to Driver's skill comparing my times to Clayton's in my own car I have to say

Big thanks to Tony and the Eurocharged crew for their support and coming all the way from Chicago...as well as Clayton, Jay, Ahmad, and all the other guys out there...

My SL55 is bone stock with street tires and Tony's stage 1 flash, which seemed to really help my otherwise stock car...I have no other mods at all....no TB, pulley, cams, exhaust or non of that stuff...not yet anyway ....so I am very pleased with the results from yesterday, not only in my experieces in learning and working to improve & having fun but also the car's performance...

Looking forward to the december 5th event....and breaking into 11's
Old 10-31-2009, 06:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
new balance
Hey man im glad you had fun....did tony reflash the car after I drove it?
Old 10-31-2009, 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by Sunir
There were a few MB's that turned out for this event... Ahmad and Jay ran their cars and were very helpful in giving me advise through the day...Clayton (Benz O Rama) helped me out the most and drove my car to some amazing runs...

BOR ran an excellent 11.55 @120mph with All Season tires!!

As for me...I ran for the first time ever in my life down the quarter mile in my life got a 12.48 @114 mph with a 60 ft of 2.125 not a bad "pop your cherry run"....had to get advice from guys like Clayton, Jay, Ahmad and Tony on how to do basic things like stage, burnout, strategy etc...half way down the track on my first pass I remember having a huge grin accross my face when I realized "hey this is pretty fun, just relax and enjoy it!!"

Did a few more back to back runs until Tony finally told me to relax and let the SC cool off. My times were 12.4x @114 mph, what I realy needed to work on was lowering my 60ft times..

With a few hrs left in the day Clayton (Benz-O-Rama) asked me if he could drive my car and I agreed. To my amazement (and the Eurocharged crew as well as Ahmad and the others)...BOR piloted my car to CONSISTANT 12.0x runs at least 8 runs back to back with a small ice break after the first 4...we were pushing real hard to try to get into 11.9's and the guys and I felt like we may have had it (if I had drag radials but I was on street tires...but we pushed anyway) and BOR gave it a great shot but we came just short at a best time of 12.03 @115 mph w/ 1.73 60 ft time ... a testament to Driver's skill comparing my times to Clayton's in my own car I have to say

Big thanks to Tony and the Eurocharged crew for their support and coming all the way from Chicago...as well as Clayton, Jay, Ahmad, and all the other guys out there...

My SL55 is bone stock with street tires and Tony's stage 1 flash, which seemed to really help my otherwise stock car...I have no other mods at all....no TB, pulley, cams, exhaust or non of that stuff...not yet anyway ....so I am very pleased with the results from yesterday, not only in my experieces in learning and working to improve & having fun but also the car's performance...

Looking forward to the december 5th event....and breaking into 11's

Damm thats amazing!! A fully stock SL 55 running 12.0-12.4 @114-115 jeeeeez. I am still laughing at the smile on the face half way down the track comment, looks like we have hooked another.

Once you get that high you will keep chasing it. I look forward to seeing you become a master pilot, and may you have continous fun ..

WOOOHOO
Old 10-31-2009, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by juicee63
Damm thats amazing!! A fully stock SL 55 running 12.0-12.4 @114-115 jeeeeez. I am still laughing at the smile on the face half way down the track comment, looks like we have hooked another.

Once you get that high you will keep chasing it. I look forward to seeing you become a master pilot, and may you have continous fun ..

WOOOHOO
It's not stock - it has a Eurocharged tune. He mentions that in the section before the part you bolded.

Regardless of not being stock, great results for a "tune-only" car! Gotta love the "driver mod" - the most performance and yet most elusive mod available.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
It's not stock - it has a Eurocharged tune. He mentions that in the section before the part you bolded.

Regardless of not being stock, great results for a "tune-only" car! Gotta love the "driver mod" - the most performance and yet most elusive mod available.
whoops , I agree still impressive and I bet the op is gonna become addicted
Old 10-31-2009, 08:29 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

c63
Originally Posted by JAYCL600
Hey man im glad you had fun....did tony reflash the car after I drove it?
I think someone could only get a 12.4 or 12.3 before I reflashed the car with Eurocharged updated tune, after that we shaved almost 4 tenths off, very nice.

-Tony.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:35 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

c63
Gentlmen it was a pleasure and an honor to hang out with you guys, I had such a good time. Sunir I hope you enjoy your newly found power and it was nice to see you again sir.

Man I just wish our SL65 would have blown the doors off of the record that day as well. Hope to have the car back up next weekend, we are coming for the record and coming hard.

I also was able to see an idle of mine for years break a world record with his e30 bmw, yes I own a turbo e30 as well. Congrats to Donovan a.k.a. BMWSOB

I will be setting up a tune day on the east coast very soon please keep an eye out for the post.

-Tony

Trending Topics

Old 10-31-2009, 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
we need a tune day in tn!!
Old 10-31-2009, 08:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
thx so much to all the guys...yes I do believe im hooked...its so much fun...

eurocharged was a class act out there helping everyone they could ...Tony drove all the way from Chitown to help out!

we were so close to 11's on a car w/ street tires and stock besides just Tony's stage 1 flash....no custom dyno tune, no mods, no pulley or whateever just a basic flash and some good advice on how to drag race...

I am so looking forward to the dec
Old 10-31-2009, 08:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Thanks for the kind words, Sunir. Truth be told, I had a lot of practice yesterday launching my car on all-seasons, so your car felt like it had full blown race slicks to me.

Your car will no doubt go 11's. I think if we would've let the car actually cool down a bit, we would've done it. That one 15 minute ice down didn't do jack. Too bad we were running out of time.

For those that don't know, Sunir is a road race instructor at V.I.R., so he knows his way around a race track. Just not the ones that don't have turns in them. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that he'll be able to pilot his own car into the 11's on Dec 5th. It was nice to be able to hop out of my SL600 and into his SL55. I was able to get a real world comparison between the two. As expected, the SL55 felt frantic. Like a bazooka shot at a target from point blank range, while my SL600 feels more like a sniper shot from 300 yards. When you mash the gas in his SL55, you feel it rattle your kidneys, but in my SL600, I was getting a massage at 120 mph. I'm not making that up. I really did have the seat massager on.

They're both remarkable cars, each great in their own way.

Then I drove JAYCL600's car. That thing is just stupid.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
Thanks for the kind words, Sunir. Truth be told, I had a lot of practice yesterday launching my car on all-seasons, so your car felt like it had full blown race slicks to me.

Your car will no doubt go 11's. I think if we would've let the car actually cool down a bit, we would've done it. That one 15 minute ice down didn't do jack. Too bad we were running out of time.

For those that don't know, Sunir is a road race instructor at V.I.R., so he knows his way around a race track. Just not the ones that don't have turns in them. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that he'll be able to pilot his own car into the 11's on Dec 5th. It was nice to be able to hop out of my SL600 and into his SL55. I was able to get a real world comparison between the two. As expected, the SL55 felt frantic. Like a bazooka shot at a target from point blank range, while my SL600 feels more like a sniper shot from 300 yards. When you mash the gas in his SL55, you feel it rattle your kidneys, but in my SL600, I was getting a massage at 120 mph. I'm not making that up. I really did have the seat massager on.

LOL, the seat massage while well worth it likely cost you a few 100ths, hahahahahahahahahahaha, dam Clayton you made me laugh with your description.

Sadly my CLS only cools the buttox whilst driving no rolling massage bar
Old 10-31-2009, 11:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama

Nicely done my friends! I think it's great you guys have such a trust in each other...family like .

Great job Sunir! Just like BOR said, I'm sure you'll pilot your car down the track into the 11's. Make sure you're the driver because there's nothing like that feeling of running your cars personal best. Last year at Famoso Chiromikey ran my car's personal best of 11.492. Even though I appreciated his skills in bringing my car to it's best I still had this empty feeling inside. This is what drove me to become better at launching my own car. Thanks Mike and Ahmad!

Benz O Rama, you definitely deserve your props for conquering the track with street tires in vehicles with sooo much torque.

Eurocharge, props to you guys for getting it done. I was a skeptic at first but what you've done with Camdon and Benz O rama's car get a from me!!!!

Last edited by bassn_07; 11-01-2009 at 01:04 AM.
Old 11-01-2009, 12:57 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Sunir you did great for your first day at the track and Clayton did an awesome job of driving both his and your car! Dec. 5th is just around the corner and you will be able to clam your 11s timeslip. I'm mpressed by what your car did with just a tune

Tony drove a long way to come to the track day. I look forward to the next tuning session, maybe get some mor epower out of my pos.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:11 AM

'13 Dodge Dart, '16 Audi Q5
Sunir,

It was great meeting you (and eveyrone else). I think at one point when BOR was driving it we started yelling at the car, thinking that if we yelled loud enough we'd see a 11.99. haha.

hope youo make it out again for december.

looking forward to Dec 5. I'll be driving back down from NJ for it for sure. A buddy of mine who is a Texas Autowriter (and a huge car nut) is visiting that weekend so I'm sure he'll enjoy watching...

now I just need to get some DRs before then... traction>me.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 E55
Congrats Sunir, really good times. I gotta do some work to catch up with ya
Old 11-02-2009, 07:11 AM

CLS55 AMG
Geeez, I guess I missed all of you guys that day! I'm sure you saw my silver cls55 parked up front, though I was hanging out with my cousin Sal and his black TT viper. I'll def come by in Dec.

Sunir, is it worth getting a tune only? I have been considering it but hear mixed opinions..
Old 11-02-2009, 09:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 E55
Originally Posted by BlackCard
Geeez, I guess I missed all of you guys that day! I'm sure you saw my silver cls55 parked up front, though I was hanging out with my cousin Sal and his black TT viper. I'll def come by in Dec.
I saw your car, but no one around it. Next time you should come over and say Hi! TT Viper is a total sex. I had flint grey e55 with black wheels.

Last edited by Karlson; 11-02-2009 at 10:12 AM.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Originally Posted by BlackCard

Sunir, is it worth getting a tune only? I have been considering it but hear mixed opinions..
I saw your car too. Clean as hell.

Originally Posted by Karlson
I saw your car, but no one around you. Next time you should come over and say Hi! TT Viper is a total sex. I had flint grey e55 with black wheels.
That Viper is just ridicka-licka-licka-lous.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Hi Blackcard...yeah I saw your CLS...very nice...but the whole day I never saw anyone in it, next to it...etc... but I love the shape of the CLS, mb nailed that design for sure!

As for tune...I def think it's worth it...I don't know about hp or tq increase...I've never dynoed my car, no baselines, comparisons, or anything so I can't talk figures with you...what I can say is that I definately think Tony's ecu flash (not a custom tune mind you, that's a different process...what I got was a handheld device plugged into my car and file with adjusted parameters uploaded) was def worth it. What's more impressive than the tune was the customer support, and that was free ... The commitment by Eurocharged to customers is very impressive....driving from Chicago to MD just to help out...now there's an example of customer support!
Old 11-02-2009, 01:12 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Whatever we're tuning!
Congrats Sunir on your first foray down the drag strip!

Addicted yet?

See you on Dec 5th!
Old 11-02-2009, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by TTMotorsports
Congrats Sunir on your first foray down the drag strip!

Addicted yet?

See you on Dec 5th!
Yeah I'm def hooked...I'm going through withdrawl right no lol ...it's much more differenent than racing on a circuit...which is much more involved for much longer periods of time...

drag racing to me is more about precision...the very slightest actions result in tremendous gains or losses...on a road course I can make up one bad corner if I get a run on the next series of corners going onto the main straight away...

nothing like that on the drag strip...you've got to try to reduce your errors...if you blow your 60' nothing will help you...it's real, it's absolute, and it's the same reality for everyone ....if you spin you loose that's it plain and simple...same rules for everyone, the drag strip cares not for your excuses, she simple says ...move on buddy...next...c'mon whose next... lets go people...
Old 11-02-2009, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
new balance
^^^thats pretty funny
Old 11-02-2009, 11:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
I think there are 2 main areas that can really have a big impact....one is a really good burnout to get the tires to hold and then a smoother launch without spinning...I was told to bring the rpms up and let go of the brake while rolling hard on throttle...I still spun though on the start and the shift to second...that's what killed my 60' times...
Old 11-03-2009, 09:13 AM

'13 Dodge Dart, '16 Audi Q5
sunir,

I definitely agree that a better burnout would help you a bit. I did notice you didn't quite heat up the tires enough on the runs I saw with you driving. Which I'm sure you noticed the difference of the burnouts when Clayton was driving. hahaha.

can't wait for dec. 5th to see some more good runs, and hopefully camdon will come out and run again (but leaves the 'breaking the rear end' part at home...)
Old 11-03-2009, 10:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by ZAHANMA
sunir,

I definitely agree that a better burnout would help you a bit. I did notice you didn't quite heat up the tires enough on the runs I saw with you driving. Which I'm sure you noticed the difference of the burnouts when Clayton was driving. hahaha.

can't wait for dec. 5th to see some more good runs, and hopefully camdon will come out and run again (but leaves the 'breaking the rear end' part at home...)
what finally ended up happening to camdon's car...tranny? axles/driveshaft?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: MIR dragday...my first time drag racing