Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 05:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
So is the SLS a true dual clutch setup?

Here is audio of that baby shifting.

Don't judge first to 2nd...I think he bangs the limiter. Listen to 2nd to 3rd....it's near instant. Sure beats our 55 slushers.
Hey Jim, man that thing sounds good and it shifts pretty quick as well. I wish we had something like that IT WOULD BE AMAZING!
Old 11-05-2009, 06:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by Hammer Down
Hey Jim, man that thing sounds good and it shifts pretty quick as well. I wish we had something like that IT WOULD BE AMAZING!
+1 That sounds like a very fast, clean, and crisp shift
Old 11-06-2009, 01:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'02 Audi S6 wagon, '00 M5
Originally Posted by PC Valkyrie
I have to disagree with you there. Although the Nurburgring laptimes are a very good measure of a car's OVERALL performance (acceleration and handling), a lot of time on the Ring can be made up simply by having a high HP car where it will shine on the long straights and fast sweeping corners.

For a better test of "handling", slower, shorter, and more tighter tracks are probably a better venue, where cars with high HP don't have long straights to overpower lower HP cars. The skidpad grip and slalom speeds/lane change speeds that American car mags do also try to isolate the "handling" aspects objectively.
Now, admittedly, I've only had half a dozen 'ring laps, but I'd disagree with a couple parts of your assessment.

One great thing about the Nordschleife is that while the pavement's fairly good the track is never really flat or level anywhere. There's yumps and bumps and humps all over the place and it puts a real premium on a 'real-world' suspension, one with plenty of travel and really good damping.

If you want to see what can be accomplished on the 'ring with a lot of careful work, look at the numbers GM got with the turbo '09 Cobalt SS. Those lap times translated into a suspension that's a work of art in the real world - remarkably balanced and never harsh.

Skidpads and shorter, smoother road courses may show a very stiff setup to greater advantage - witness the great skidpad numbers GM got out of Camaros and Firebirds for years, with huge sway bars and fat tires, but on real roads they pretty much sucked.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'15 E63S wagon
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
So is the SLS a true dual clutch setup?

Here is audio of that baby shifting.

Don't judge first to 2nd...I think he bangs the limiter. Listen to 2nd to 3rd....it's near instant. Sure beats our 55 slushers.
Sorry to post this in a public forum...but that audio clip just gave me MAJOR WOOD