W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No check engine light when SC turns off?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 01:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Granite Grey CLS55
No check engine light when SC turns off?

Is it normal that the car doesn't throw a check engine light when the SC turns off? Say you have a faulty IC pump, and those times that the SC turns off after flooring the car for a period of time, shouldn't it throw at least some type of code?
Old 11-25-2009, 05:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E55
I was told by the head tech at Lakeview in LI that it will throw a code. I am not positive he is right. Can someone confirm?

Last edited by Mamba003; 11-25-2009 at 08:18 PM.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:48 PM

A Prius because I'm green
When mine went out no CEL or warning came on. I was told there is a code but you have to dig for it and it doesn't refer to the pump exactly. I even remember others saying something similar when I researched it on here. The issue would be the dealer not being able to duplicate the SC shutting off just with regular driving and would return the car unfixed, so as I learned from research to pressing the dealer into fixing it and they did. I'd imagine no CEL would come on since the engine is still running fine.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E55
Yeah I tried to push him to change to the new IC pump. He did know about problems with the oem pump and mentioned that the new replacement is near bullet proof. In the end he said he cant change it without it being broken and if it was it would throw a code.

Originally Posted by Mikesamg
When mine went out no CEL or warning came on. I was told there is a code but you have to dig for it and it doesn't refer to the pump exactly. I even remember others saying something similar when I researched it on here. The issue would be the dealer not being able to duplicate the SC shutting off just with regular driving and would return the car unfixed, so as I learned from research to pressing the dealer into fixing it and they did. I'd imagine no CEL would come on since the engine is still running fine.

Last edited by Mamba003; 11-26-2009 at 08:36 AM.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
No codes when the SC shuts down because of heat, at least nothing obvious like a CEL. My IC pump was nearly dead as far as flow rates and I never got a code. the Merc dealer checked the IC pump flow rates after I complained about extreme loss of power. They confirmed a nearly dead IC pump, but never said a thing about a code having been thrown.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:24 PM

2006 Granite Grey CLS55
Well, I had my pump replaced with the MC30, and even got an aftermarket HE (LET). The problem still occurs, it turns off, but then goes back on a minute later. Do you guys think a full coolant flush would solve the issue?
Old 11-25-2009, 09:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
V12TT
Originally Posted by X-Vert
Well, I had my pump replaced with the MC30, and even got an aftermarket HE (LET). The problem still occurs, it turns off, but then goes back on a minute later. Do you guys think a full coolant flush would solve the issue?
You might have air lock in your coolant lines. You should bleed the system or yes do a full coolant flush.

Good Luck