E63 engine continues running with no key in ignition

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 10:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 E63
E63 engine continues running with no key in ignition

A story of up-selling.

and no I don't have keyless go either. Bit of a long story but may help someone else one day.

After getting a car wash I was driving home and stopped to pickup some lunch ..... no problems yet .... When I came back to the car and put the keys in and turned to start an ESP error displayed stating car needed to go to workshop........... I immediately assumed that water had got into the ABS system and was causing a short/error. I turned off the ignition and retried and second attempt ... no error code.

So I drove home without any issues enter my garage and shut the car off and remove the key ....... slight problem .... the engine was still running .... what the #$@!@. ...... I had to take a few seconds of sanity checks but I could rev the motor and I wasn't dreaming. .........

All the usual electronic things occurred when you remove the keys like the steering column going up and the dash lights going off etc etc......

So I put the keys back in and turned to the start position ...... now SRS error, ESP error, child restraint error and one other error....arrggggg...... remove the key .... steering goes back up and engine still running.

I retried this about 6 times turning off appliances to see if I could create any pattern. ...... no joy..... tried the spare key ... no difference .... removed the battery cable ....... still running.

Also, I could put the car into reverse and drive and go forward / back as normal and the steering lock was not active all while no key in ignition. (A thieves dream)

I called Mercedes assistance and they sent out a tech .... who knew nothing but made out that he new everything ...... after 20 minutes of re going everything they decided to flat bed it to the dealer ... with the motor still running.

While we were standing on the road waiting for the truck after about ten minutes with no key in ignition .... and motor still running ...... the motor shut off ..........

So I put the key in and restarted ..... no errors ... no problem .... turned back off and the motor stopped ... no problem.

So we canceled the truck and I drove it to the dealer the next day.

They plugged the computer in and checked all the error codes and nothing pointed to any obvious error and the errors were obviously non related as they were all over the place.

We checked the main fuse box and .......... dudididudididuuuuuu

A cable had been jammed along the boxes edge stopping the box from sealing correctly ...... water got into the main fuse box and must of caused a short which caused all the electrical faults etc. Once it dried out then no more problem. We repositioned the cable to where it was meant to live and resealed the fuse box properly this time.

So the moral of the story is ....... when getting a car wash ... the new extra mega wash with two extra passes and a wet buff may not be worth the extra $4 after all.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
His wife crazy
Two word Dan: Hand Wash
Old 12-07-2009, 04:22 PM

07 E63
Originally Posted by X2Board

I know ..... sacrilege really ......
Old 12-07-2009, 06:45 PM

07 Z06, 08 Rover Sport, 03 Dmax, 13 Diavel
i literally LOL'd... that was a funny story... thank you!

Aj
Old 12-07-2009, 06:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Originally Posted by X2Board
+1, hire 2 girls to shampoo your car, that will keep your engine running.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
211-55
That's just your car getting revenge for going through an automatic wash. It's a good lesson for all of us though.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:28 PM

07 E63
Originally Posted by cahiil55k
That's just your car getting revenge for going through an automatic wash. It's a good lesson for all of us though.
Over the years of reading on this board it did make me wonder about all those strange electrical issues that people have had from time to time. Where the cable was located and where it was supposed to live I could see how easy it would be to get it stuck in the wrong spot thus making the fuse box unsealed.

Trending Topics

Old 12-07-2009, 08:30 PM

07 E63
Originally Posted by Yacht Master
+1, hire 2 girls to shampoo your car, that will keep your engine running.
I often wondered how well an all girl topless car wash would do? ....... just off to get a wash and polish dear.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
211-55
Electronics is a double edged sword. In my old car, GM decided to mount the fuel pump resistor near the passenger side wheel well. After so many underside car washes took it's toll on the connector, the car would not start anymore.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 Sedan (Peuter)
Originally Posted by 1 BAD BURB
i literally LOL'd... that was a funny story... thank you!

Aj
I didn't laugh at ALL! I was too worried it was going to be a bad ending, or worse yet, not an ending at all, but a call for help. Alls well that ends well, I suppose. Now I can laugh.

That's a sick Vette, by the way.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:04 PM

07 Z06, 08 Rover Sport, 03 Dmax, 13 Diavel
Originally Posted by kurtwz
I didn't laugh at ALL! I was too worried it was going to be a bad ending, or worse yet, not an ending at all, but a call for help. Alls well that ends well, I suppose. Now I can laugh.

That's a sick Vette, by the way.
ohh no, i meant, i laughed my *** off at the end... not during, no way, i would feel the guys pain. but i mean, the car is warranty covered soo... if he were on his own, even worse!

aj
Old 12-07-2009, 09:29 PM

07 E63
I actually laughed while it was happening .... I mean what else could you do??

I have historically had electrical faults occur after washing a car ... including hand washing !!!!! My RUF used to miss like a byarch in corners after it had been washed unless you waited hours for everything to dry. It was sucking in water into the air intake and upsetting the MAF sensor.

Gotta make you wonder about fly by wire systems ....... how much money and technology goes into Merc anti theft systems and yet some well placed water and off you drive. heh
Old 12-07-2009, 09:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 Sedan (Peuter)
Originally Posted by 1 BAD BURB
ohh no, i meant, i laughed my *** off at the end... not during, no way, i would feel the guys pain. but i mean, the car is warranty covered soo... if he were on his own, even worse!

aj
It's cool, man. I think I'm unable to find certain funny things funny. I couldn't laugh through most of the movie Meet the Parents because I had just become engaged at the time and found it all a little too real. Same situation here, I think, heh.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
C218 CLS63TT PP Edition1, W213 E63S
wow

i can imagine how you felt.

good that everything returned to normal.