Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E63 Low speed vibration / shudder

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 E63 Flint Grey/Ash
I have the same low speed acceleration shudder. It seems odd, but don't know if it's normal or not. I have an '08 E63. Anyone find out anything?
Old 10-03-2010, 10:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 CL55
Not yet.. Am just living with it for the time being. At some point, Iwill post on the AMG lounge...
Old 10-03-2010, 11:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
It's a small harmonic distortion that occurs in 1st gear S mode. It's very subtle and most people will not notice it. It happens in all of them, but the distortion can sometimes be a bit more noticeable in some cars over others.

It should not happen in C mode. Only coming off of first gear. The answer MBUSA gives is that S mode is not to be used in stop and go traffic. This vibration (which apparently runs through the drive train from the torque converter) is obvious in stop and go where one might be driving off at extremely low speeds. Ironically, it's what gives it the smoothness that the TC allows.

The answer is to use C mode or just drive the thing and let it disappear as you get to 4-5 mph. It's almost imperceptible as it is. Just punch the damn thing or putt-putt around in C mode and 2nd gear during stop and go.

p.s., we have it easy with this 7-G torque converter automatic. Try the MCT (a 'non-traditional' TC with a wet plate clutch) or the SLS's DCT. Not exactly a smooth ride in stop and go traffic.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:22 AM

07 E63, 12 E350, 14 GLK350, 16 C450
Accelerating, under light load, like going onto a freeway, or accelerating from cruising speed under 20% or so throttle I had a shuddering type feel but under WOT no problem. After 2 visits to the dealer and a week of diagnosis found 2 issues, MAF sensor had an unusual amount of buildup and air filter was some non-OEM (installed by prev owner). Cleaned the MAF, put an OEM filter in problem went away.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes E55
Originally Posted by Q_Cars
Hi all from New Zealand.

Glad this thread resurfaced as I am experiencing exactly the same effect with my recently acquired (2 months) '07 E63. It appears as a very light vibration/shudder from the rear, for first 3-5 kph, that goes away immediately speed increases. Perhaps seems more noticeable from cold start?

I note that there hasn't been much action between current posts and the thread first starting. Any updates from anyone?
I just started noticing this problem too. I have a 05 E55 with 92K miles, I live in San Antonio, TX and it is just starting to get cool here. I wonder if it has anything to do with the temperature??
Old 10-04-2010, 09:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
07E63, 12E350, 08997TT, 16SiennaSE
Originally Posted by 220S
It's a small harmonic distortion that occurs in 1st gear S mode. It's very subtle and most people will not notice it. It happens in all of them, but the distortion can sometimes be a bit more noticeable in some cars over others.

It should not happen in C mode. Only coming off of first gear. The answer MBUSA gives is that S mode is not to be used in stop and go traffic. This vibration (which apparently runs through the drive train from the torque converter) is obvious in stop and go where one might be driving off at extremely low speeds. Ironically, it's what gives it the smoothness that the TC allows.

Exactly what my MB tech told me when I complain about the same issue on my 07. Some of the newer MB with 7spd is factory defaulted back to E/C mode each time you start the car.

I just bought my wife a 2011 GLK350 4Matic with 7spd and it factory default to to E mode.

Last edited by Peter_02AMG; 10-04-2010 at 11:06 AM.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 BMW M5 CP
Originally Posted by Tom_Boy
Black08E36, I spose it could be a bent rim, but it's a low mile CPO car, and that should have been checked out. Good assessment, I will look into that!

Citylightva, My current advisor is Shane, but I've also used Michael and Billy Polly took care of me for many years there before he left.

I just drove it and it does it in C as well as S, just more noticable in S because the driveshaft is turning more in first starting off than it does in second.

I haven't been on the DFW Auto Club site, but I'll look them up - post the URL if you want for others.

Mike Garthoff now manages the entire Benz shop now, I first met him when he was a foreman, great guy; always wants to help & do what's right!
What

What did the ECU reset do?
ECU reset seems to have mad a difference (not in the vibration) but the performance, I am thinking the dude who owned it was a pretty sedate driver and maybe did not do any hard launches... Will keep everyone posted.

Thanks,
Tom
What did the ECU reset do?
Old 10-04-2010, 05:58 PM

'08 E63 Flint Grey/Ash
I notice the vibration in comfort and sport mode. It's not terrible, but is noticeable. If I have another problem that comes up, I will take it to my local dealer and see what they say. If I put my foot in to it little more, I don't feel it at all. Maybe I should stop trying to hyper mile the beast and just drive it harder. LOL.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:44 PM

'08 E63 Flint Grey/Ash
Update- The vibration disappeared as of today. The one thing that I changed before vibration went away, is that I put the suspension in sport plus mode just for the heck of it because it had been awhile since I used that setting. After driving in that mode for the day, I put in the suspension back in sport mode just because I like that setting best. This morning, after pulling away from a couple of intersections, I suddenly realized the vibration was all but gone. So for you guys that get the little vibration, and you drive in the same setting as me, give it a try and see if there is any change.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:04 AM

mb98e320
last time i was working on one of E63 complant samething.... what i found out is LR driver side crossmember bolt was broke off..... dealer recall.. all that E63 and they will do verything for free of charge...
Old 10-08-2010, 05:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 CL55
Vanditz, turns out the "sneaky ECU reset' trick only works for the 5 speed automatic in the 55's or 65's... Does not work on the 7 speed auto's in the 63's.
Old 02-26-2020, 07:36 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
2009 E63
Did anyone else find this in their e63? My car does the same thing.

Definitely feel it with the car in neutral/park and revving it holding it steady around 1200rpms... is this inherit to this engine?
Old 02-16-2021, 06:15 PM

2015 CLS 63s AMG
are you talking about the gearbox chatter? Happens with MCT /DCT ..