Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 09:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 CL55
E63 Low speed vibration / shudder

Hi folks-

Long time listener, first time caller.

Seriously, I just hard to replace my 05 E55, as it was rear-ended very hard on 12/1, and the other parties insurance company decided to total it. I replaced it with an 08 E63 (not a fan of the new body style) with 16K miles. The car runs very strong, but has one (1) very odd issue I cannot seem to identify or get corrected; a very slow/low speed shudder or vibration.

I have searched this site, others, Google and the dealer has even searched the DTB's. He's the symptom. From a dead stop to about 2MPH, there is an odd shudder or vibration in the drivetrain. Seems to go away at 3+MPH, then is smooth as glass. Seems to occur with a light load on the drivetrain, a soft throttle application. You can feel it in the seat of the pants. The car is low miles, so it should not be the motor or tranny mounts. They did replace the tranny mount to no avail. It's almost like the torque converter is out of balance. I suppose it could be the tranny, torque converter, driveshaft/guibo's, or even the differential, axel's or brakes. Very odd. Been in the shop since Monday and am getting homesick for it. Any of you guy's have any idea's?

I appreciate your help! Please let me know if any questions, I may be able to offer more details.

Thanks,
Tom in Dallas!!
Old 12-18-2009, 10:54 AM

2003 CL55
Wow.. 47 reads, and not a single reply. I have a real odd-ball issue, or no one else is seeing the problem. All you E63 guys, test you car to make sure you don't have this issue... Go out on a flat/smooth road way and stop the car. Then accelerate very lightly to about 2-3 MPH. Just starting off, see if you feel a light shudder or vibration in the drive-line. You'll need to turn off the radio, a/c etc. The dealer I go to has an 09 E63 on the lot, and I am buddies with one of their salesreps, so he's gonna go drive this 09 for me and see if it does the same thing.

Let me know if any of you are seeing this. It's so slight, I am afraid many may not notice it at all.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:34 PM

2003 CL55
Ok, dealer says it's normal. They drove 3 other cars, 2 E63's and 1 CLS63, said they all do it. Come on experts, are your cars doing this? You agree with their assessment?
Old 12-18-2009, 11:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
His wife crazy
Just how long does it take you to accelerate through 2 MPH? I'm sure no one answered because they fail to see the problem, same as I do.
The following users liked this post:
Andreas63 (11-03-2022)
Old 12-18-2009, 11:32 PM

His wife crazy
BTW, all drivelines have some harmonic vibrations, so that is probably what you are feeling.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E63, 2003 Porsche Boxster, 2006 Lexus 460L
My 07 E63 does the same thing, even if I let up on the brake a little before the car starts moving. I never figured it to be a problem.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:50 PM

2003 CL55
It's pretty quick, maybe 2-3 seconds, and you feel it for the majority of that time. Very subtile. I have had all sorts of vehicles, Pantera's, Shelby's, Euro BMW 635's, Ford GT's, all sorts of stuff, and havent felt anything like this. I am an obsessive/compulsive perfectionist no doubt, but it is pronounced enough that I would not have thought BMZ whould have given this the Goodhousekeeping Seal of Approval! Come on E63 owners. What do you feel?
Attached Thumbnails E63 Low speed vibration / shudder-hughes.jpg   E63 Low speed vibration / shudder-e63-rf.jpg   E63 Low speed vibration / shudder-hughes-e55.jpg  
Old 12-20-2009, 07:50 AM

landcruiser and cls
I'm a little OCD to, I'll check today.

One thing... I just had an exhaust cam adjuster replaced.
I swear the car runs smoother than when I bought it new.

I'll check mine today
Old 12-20-2009, 11:57 AM

2003 CL55
Thanks Jerry- I appreciate the courtesy. Just want to 'check & balance' against what the dealer is telling me.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
Originally Posted by Tom_Boy
Thanks Jerry- I appreciate the courtesy. Just want to 'check & balance' against what the dealer is telling me.
have you confirmed what dealer said? go and drive the others cars for yourself. if they all do that, THEN you know it is normal. good luck.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:01 PM

08 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by bzliteyear
have you confirmed what dealer said? go and drive the others cars for yourself. if they all do that, THEN you know it is normal. good luck.
+1 try other cars yourself and i will try mine tonight and report back
Old 12-20-2009, 03:22 PM

landcruiser and cls
I checked at lots of light today. S and C mode. Honestly I didn't feel anything. Didn't hear anything either. except the idle noise, which I don't like, but have been told It's normal.
Also checked cold and hot starts. I wanted to feel it, I just didn't.
That doesn't mean I don't have it you know, just that I didn't feel it.

I had a P car for a long time and heard lots of things, most of the time people told me I was being silly.
I think most of us that cruise the boards are serious nuts about things most people could care less about. To the point of becoming paranoid about nothing.
I find that when I look hard enough I will always find something wrong. That's what I'm trying not to do anymore.

I'm not calling you a nut btw, It doesn't sound too serious though. But maybe it is to you.
goodluck
Old 12-20-2009, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 CLS63 030
Car should be very smooth, nothing you describe seems "normal". Could be software, tq converter, throttle by wire sensor.

Do not let the dealer off that easily if they are experiencing this in all cars then the cars they are driving are all running improperly.

I would post this over on the AMG lounge, see what the folks at AMG have to say.
Old 12-20-2009, 04:16 PM

2003 CL55
Good thought Juicee63, I'll do that. I review that board, but haven't posted on it yet. Seems like a good opportunity to do so. I always drive in S, so I will try some starts in C today. Will also do the ECU reset, as I did a hard launch yesterday from a slow rolling start and the car went to redline in 1st, then just died like it hit the rev limiter before it shifted. Was in automatic, not manual. Was real odd. Went back around did the same thing and no issue. Embarring as I had a brother in law in the car that has an E55, who bought it after riding in mine. The dealer staff is all very cool, Park Place MBZ in Dallas, so they have offered to let me drive several of the AMG cars on the lot. I am buds with many of the staff, service writers, Shop Manager and a couple of the mechanic's; it's a top notch joint for any AMG service work!

They have always done me right, even rebuilt the E55 motor because of too much oil consumption!

Thanks guy's.. More to report after I make the tires a little smaller around today!
Old 12-20-2009, 04:47 PM

08 E63 AMG
could it be a slight bend in the rim?
Old 12-20-2009, 06:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 E63, 2005 Dodge Ram Hemi
Good thought Juicee63, I'll do that. I review that board, but haven't posted on it yet. Seems like a good opportunity to do so. I always drive in S, so I will try some starts in C today. Will also do the ECU reset, as I did a hard launch yesterday from a slow rolling start and the car went to redline in 1st, then just died like it hit the rev limiter before it shifted. Was in automatic, not manual. Was real odd. Went back around did the same thing and no issue. Embarring as I had a brother in law in the car that has an E55, who bought it after riding in mine. The dealer staff is all very cool, Park Place MBZ in Dallas, so they have offered to let me drive several of the AMG cars on the lot. I am buds with many of the staff, service writers, Shop Manager and a couple of the mechanic's; it's a top notch joint for any AMG service work!

They have always done me right, even rebuilt the E55 motor because of too much oil consumption!

Thanks guy's.. More to report after I make the tires a little smaller around today!
Who's your adviser at Park Place..?? No matter who, I agree they are an excellent service place...Never felt like they've been trying to rip me off there...Can't say I've ever noticed this shudder The shudder I usually get is the rear losing traction

Are you on DFW Auto CLub..???

Last edited by citylightva; 12-20-2009 at 06:37 PM.
Old 12-20-2009, 06:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

t's a top notch joint for any AMG service work!
They are an AMG certified shop..!! And the falling on it's face in automatic is beyond weird...
Old 12-20-2009, 07:06 PM

2003 CL55
Black08E36, I spose it could be a bent rim, but it's a low mile CPO car, and that should have been checked out. Good assessment, I will look into that!

Citylightva, My current advisor is Shane, but I've also used Michael and Billy Polly took care of me for many years there before he left.

I just drove it and it does it in C as well as S, just more noticable in S because the driveshaft is turning more in first starting off than it does in second.

I haven't been on the DFW Auto Club site, but I'll look them up - post the URL if you want for others.

Mike Garthoff now manages the entire Benz shop now, I first met him when he was a foreman, great guy; always wants to help & do what's right!

ECU reset seems to have mad a difference (not in the vibration) but the performance, I am thinking the dude who owned it was a pretty sedate driver and maybe did not do any hard launches... Will keep everyone posted.

Thanks,
Tom
Old 12-20-2009, 07:53 PM

2007 E63, 2006 C55
Re: 2MPH Vibration

Mine does nothing like you describe, at least not that I notice, but if I were you I would drive the other cars they referenced for comparison and see if you sense a similar vibration with them. If not, it is clearly something unique to your car and needs further investigation. Good luck.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:57 PM

E63 AMG
I think mine does the same! It is when I am stopped and just slowly let of the brakes it seems like it does a slight surging... hmmmm. It has done it since I had the vehicle and i keep meaning to say something when I bring it in for service!
Old 12-21-2009, 12:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

DFW Auto Club...

http://www.dfwautoclub.com/forums/index.php

We meet up in Frisco every Saturday morning except the last Saturday of every month when we all go to Cars & Coffee at Classic BMW...Check out the forum, they're pretty good people...Come on up some time, then I won't be the only E63
Old 12-21-2009, 12:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yeah, I go to Ed Bonelli...
Old 09-14-2010, 02:01 PM

e63 amg
vibration

I have a 2007 e63 and are experiencing both very low speed vibration as well as above 80KPH. It is not consistent and in fact has occured only twice at the higher speed. I originally thought is was a drivetrain problem but now, having read some of the other comments, I think the torque converter may well be the problem. I am also going through a couple of litres of oil every 1K kls. Car has only 50K kilometers on it. Any comments?
Old 09-14-2010, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
This is out of box thinking...but any chance it could be motor mount, esp if low speed vibration?
PL
Old 09-14-2010, 04:10 PM

2006 E63 AMG
Me too!

Hi all from New Zealand.

Glad this thread resurfaced as I am experiencing exactly the same effect with my recently acquired (2 months) '07 E63. It appears as a very light vibration/shudder from the rear, for first 3-5 kph, that goes away immediately speed increases. Perhaps seems more noticeable from cold start?

I note that there hasn't been much action between current posts and the thread first starting. Any updates from anyone?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E63 Low speed vibration / shudder