Sponsored by:

Burn out issues/ car losing power!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 01:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Prius because I'm green
Burn out issues/ car losing power!

Ok so ever since I got DR's the car has been fighting me with burning out. I thought maybe the lack of water in the box was the issue or no LSD. Yet stock cars are spinning both tires just fine.

When I get on it in the box the car will start to rev up and either slowly get the tires spinning or just one, then it will just lose power. It feels dead like it is fighting to spin the tires and just can't. I have been frustrated none the less and pretty damn annoyed with the starting line telling me to give it more gas when I'm full throttle already.

After researching I learned that 2nd gear for a manual is a better gear to spin the tires. I was said that the higher the gear the more tire spin and thus more heat. If the car has power there's not need to use 1st gear. It has spun more trying it in 2nd gear but it still has the same issue in losing power. It will not rev up and even think about shifting into another gear. I even thought I was on the brake too much as well but I end up easing off and the car will just push forward without spinning.

Today Alan (Bassn_07) jumped in the car and the same thing happened to him. He had to do a rolling burn out. When he uploads the video I will post it to show how it just dies.

Possibilities: I had the car in dyno mode a couple track sessions before and did the same method for burning out and the car red lined and shifted to 2nd gear no problem. I do run with ESP off during the burn outs but not down the track. Simple solution would be to do the burn outs in dyno mode and just turn it off before staging but I don't want the tires cooling down while I shut the car down and restart it. Other stock cars are spinning the tires just fine yet here I am a stage 2 with 560lbs of tq to the wheels and I can't get the tires to spin.

I do have the Renntech Speedshift and it was suggested maybe the speedshift is not allowing it to rev up or shift? It has given me problems, not often but has while shifting. I know of another person having the same issues with shifting in their car and they have the speedshift. With ESP off is it still possible to detect one tire spinning and engage the system or no? has anyone ran the speedshift successfully?

HELP!

Here is the video of it just bogging down and of course the poor grip off the line because the burnout sucked.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzoLAAsRUM4

Last edited by Mikesamg; 12-27-2009 at 01:58 PM.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Mikesamg
Ok so ever since I got DR's the car has been fighting me with burning out. I thought maybe the lack of water in the box was the issue or no LSD. Yet stock cars are spinning both tires just fine.

When I get on it in the box the car will start to rev up and either slowly get the tires spinning or just one, then it will just lose power. It feels dead like it is fighting to spin the tires and just can't. I have been frustrated none the less and pretty damn annoyed with the starting line telling me to give it more gas when I'm full throttle already.

After researching I learned that 2nd gear for a manual is a better gear to spin the tires. I was said that the higher the gear the more tire spin and thus more heat. If the car has power there's not need to use 1st gear. It has spun more trying it in 2nd gear but it still has the same issue in losing power. It will not rev up and even think about shifting into another gear. I even thought I was on the brake too much as well but I end up easing off and the car will just push forward without spinning.

Today Alan (Bassn_07) jumped in the car and the same thing happened to him. He had to do a rolling burn out. When he uploads the video I will post it to show how it just dies.

Possibilities: I had the car in dyno mode a couple track sessions before and did the same method for burning out and the car red lined and shifted to 2nd gear no problem. I do run with ESP off during the burn outs but not down the track. Simple solution would be to do the burn outs in dyno mode and just turn it off before staging but I don't want the tires cooling down while I shut the car down and restart it. Other stock cars are spinning the tires just fine yet here I am a stage 2 with 560lbs of tq to the wheels and I can't get the tires to spin.

I do have the Renntech Speedshift and it was suggested maybe the speedshift is not allowing it to rev up or shift? It has given me problems, not often but has while shifting. I know of another person having the same issues with shifting in their car and they have the speedshift. With ESP off is it still possible to detect one tire spinning and engage the system or no? has anyone ran the speedshift successfully?

HELP!
Mike was telling me about the issue he was having so I decided to give it a shot myself. I started the burnout in 1st gear and as soon as it hit 4500-5000 RPM the car would just bog down..... I've never experience this before and I had no suggestions except for the possibility of the speed shift having some type of effect on this. His car has been struggling with burnouts for some time now and hopefully you guys will have some advice for Mike.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:01 AM

POSSIBLE PUMP ISSUE. DO a search for Johnson CM30
Old 12-27-2009, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by jdj27x
POSSIBLE PUMP ISSUE. DO a search for Johnson CM30
Pumps fine, the car still runs mid 11s no problem it's just the burn outs. I had a bad pump before so luckily I know what that feels like, which sucks a
Old 12-27-2009, 07:42 AM

E55 AMG
Mine does the same thing! Its so frustrating, and actually embarrassing when you at the track.

I thought its because even with ESP off, its not completely off?

Come to think of it I met up with another E55 at some event and he actually did a huge burn out, I thought he was in Dyno mode, he was not.

Paul
Old 12-27-2009, 08:26 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
1990 300ce supercharged and intercooled
You might try turning ESP off and then clicking the e-brake till the light lights up. This was an old trick that I used to use on cars before the dyno mode.
You could go to the trouble of putting a jumper switch in if it works for the e-brake switch. I have had other mercedes have reduced power in dyno mode also. I do not know what the common thing is. I had a c230k one time that the supercharger would not boost on while in dyno mode driving on the street.
Good luck.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Here's a video of what happens to Mike's car when attempting a burnout.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzoLAAsRUM4
Old 01-26-2011, 10:18 AM

2005 E55
Was a solution to this ever found? Mine does the same thing. Makes me look like a rookie at the track!
Old 01-26-2011, 10:38 AM

E55 AMG
Toyota recently had a big problem with their floor mats and ours are even thicker, maybe.... Nah but It has to be the traction control, just to confirm, does it do this in dyno mode? That's the only way to fully disable the TC, as well as the rest of the safety equipment. Otherwise as you know the TC is never all the way off. That's why in Ca. When we get a smog check they cannot run a normal smog which involves a smog dyno at 15 & 25 mph, we just get the old style test, stationary and emissions are measured at 2500 rpm and then idle.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:50 AM

2005 E55
Originally Posted by redlineAMG
Toyota recently had a big problem with their floor mats and ours are even thicker, maybe.... Nah but It has to be the traction control, just to confirm, does it do this in dyno mode? That's the only way to fully disable the TC, as well as the rest of the safety equipment. Otherwise as you know the TC is never all the way off. That's why in Ca. When we get a smog check they cannot run a normal smog which involves a smog dyno at 15 & 25 mph, we just get the old style test, stationary and emissions are measured at 2500 rpm and then idle.

Im not sure... I have to check if the car is in dyno mode. So what you're saying is that if the car isnt in dyno mode, the bog down is somewhat normal?
Old 04-03-2011, 05:06 PM

2010 Silverado, 03 H2, 66 Nova SS, 03 E55
BUMP.

I just noticed today... Even though car seems to be running just fine, there is absolutely no way for me to get the tires warm other than dyno-mode.

Anyone have an idea on WTF is causing this? I turn off ESP and get the warning light on dash, everything seems normal.... That youtube vid pretty much sums up my issue.

Old 04-03-2011, 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Wonder if its an 03 thing. Mine does the exact same thing. I love to do tire roasting burnouts for the crowds for fun ( I know the pros at the track shake their head at me but who cares ). Tried it without Dyno Mde and just sat there after tires spun a tiny bit. Embarrasing.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:24 PM

E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
Wonder if its an 03 thing. Mine does the exact same thing. I love to do tire roasting burnouts for the crowds for fun ( I know the pros at the track shake their head at me but who cares ). Tried it without Dyno Mde and just sat there after tires spun a tiny bit. Embarrasing.
My 05 suffers from the same problem.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:30 PM

I always thought it was the esp kicking on slightly and it may very well be that. The main cause that was concluded is we thought it's the lack of an LSD so one tire got most of the power and once it started up the other would bog down. What I didn't get is how the engine seemed to lose it's power. So maybe it was the esp dumping fuel or possibly being unable to spin both tires. In dyno mode it spins them up easier but it doesn't spin both sides all the time. Anyone with a quaife from what I have seen can just turn off ESP and spin both up.

I know if you roll into the burn out and get on the brake as you're getting on it, they tend to both spin and keep spinning. Maybe the car is just too smart and not wanting to drag race
Old 04-03-2011, 06:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG
I have a 2003 and can burn the living crap out of my tires with just the ESP off on street radials... its weird you guys are having this issue..

EDIT: both my tires spin also, whether its a rolling burnout or a standing
Old 04-04-2011, 12:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
2004 E55,1969 300SEL6.3,2011 ML350 BlueTec Diesel,2005 ML400 CDI
Here's a observation that may be helpful: I do have a Renntech tune w/ SpeedShift and an LSD. While this car has never been on a drag strip, it will light 'em up in 2nd and 3rd on cold hard tires with the ESP off. Now here's the interesting thing - - - while I rarely drive the car in wet conditions, there have been times when I returned home in the wet and knowing that the car would be parked for an extended period of time, I want to make sure the brake rotors are warm so as not to form surface rust. If I drive the car at even the slowest speed and apply the brake and throttle at the same time, within 3 seconds the engine shuts down to idle. I have never tried this with the ESP off and I won't be able to until we return to Germany in about 3 months. Again, just a thought.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2004 E55
Originally Posted by AgSilver
If I drive the car at even the slowest speed and apply the brake and throttle at the same time, within 3 seconds the engine shuts down to idle.
You can only Left foot brake the car for 3 seconds before the ECU will close the throttle plate.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
C218 CLS63TT PP Edition1, W213 E63S
mine is having the same problem on the video. i can't warm my tires even if ESP is off.

maybe it is a quaife thing ??? i have one.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55
Originally Posted by Ali_E55
mine is having the same problem on the video. i can't warm my tires even if ESP is off.

maybe it is a quaife thing ??? i have one.
I have a Quaife and I can roast the tires at will with the ESP off and I don't need to be in dyno mode
Old 04-04-2011, 04:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
C218 CLS63TT PP Edition1, W213 E63S
mine hust spins a bit and then close the TB on me. maybe to much TQ ???
Old 04-04-2011, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
2004 E55,1969 300SEL6.3,2011 ML350 BlueTec Diesel,2005 ML400 CDI
Originally Posted by AMGPilot
You can only Left foot brake the car for 3 seconds before the ECU will close the throttle plate.
Toyota needs similar software.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:30 PM

So.... I guess we've decided so far that

THINGS WE DO KNOW RE: "Burnout Killer"

A) It's not a year thing as we have 03s with the problem and 03s without, also we have an 05 with the problem.

B)

C)

D)

Lets keep the thread rolling and add to the above to try and narrow down varables...
Old 04-04-2011, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55
Originally Posted by Ali_E55
mine hust spins a bit and then close the TB on me. maybe to much TQ ???
Nope, once you start spinning you don't need that much torque to keep the tires spinning. It's breaking them free that takes torque
Old 04-04-2011, 04:26 PM

A) It's not a year thing as we have 03s with the problem and 03s without, also we have an 05 with the problem.

B) Not related to H/E or IC Pump.

C)

D)
Old 04-04-2011, 04:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by randallaguirre

B) Not related to H/E or IC Pump.

C)

D)
on both stock and modified cars too

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Burn out issues/ car losing power!