W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The compartment under headunit does not work anymore?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 11:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audi s6
The compartment under headunit does not work anymore?

The cd changer compartment that is motorized does not work any longer after I got the new head unit installed?
The installer told me that it was because the Command system was removed and that had the control for the motor that made it work.

Well today I had to rewire my Valentine one and re-route it to my cigarette lighter and thought that since I would be in there I would take a look.

This is what I saw:

The rear of the unit taken out

THis is the underneath of the unit where the motor is that opens and closes the door.

And this is the wire that is confusing me. You can see that obviously the other wire goes straight into the back of the compartment so that the features like seat warmers and open/lock doors work and are illuminated. However there is a wire/plug that is just sitting there and I could not find anywhere to plug it in...Please help

This is the compartment I am taking about which is under my finger

If you can help I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
997TT, R8 V10+, G550, Plaid S
what do you normally press to open it?
Old 01-25-2010, 03:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
e55
so there are only 2 wires going into the motor? you need to find out what voltage it is running off, hopefully 12 volts. then you need to trace what wires connect to the open/close switch.

once you have this figured out you need to make a reversing polarity relay setup, this can be found on www.the12volt.com. when the button is pressed once it opens, when its pressed again polarity is reversed and the door closes. this should work if the unit had built in limiting switches to keep the motor from trying to run after it is open and or closed. its something that will just take time and testing.

the other option is to use the existing circuit and hopefully just feed it power where the stock head unit feeds it power.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:44 AM

Audi s6
Wow, that seems a tad complicated. I was hoping that someone had replaced their stock unit and found a reason why or how this thing does not open or close.

You have to press the silver button undeneath the hazards to open the door.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a Rivera...via a Custom 24, Strat and Les Paul
you may want to ask Tgoss - he just had similar work done and by the photos it appears his door is still working (he's using it to stash his radar/laser set up).

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ated-pics.html
Old 01-25-2010, 12:35 PM

Audi s6
Hey,

I saw his post and read his response...I need to find out who did the work so I can call directly.

Thanks!