Sponsored by:

10.62 @ 133.70!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 03:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
E55 w/ goods, Z32 Project underway
People can talk about dynos and mods till their teeth fall out, but at the track is where the proof is. I can slap a jet engine to my car but without a proper tune on a dyno and balancing out the rest of mods it means nothing.

Great work!
Old 02-15-2010, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Real Cars
Originally Posted by SGC
Thanks Marcus.

You must be the life of the party. While fulfilling your self proclaimed MBWorld role as "forum devil's advocate", I hope you don't slap any small children or push any feeble old women down a flight of stairs to get answers. Nothing good can come of that.
Not really the life of the party, but I appreciate the thought. I understand having to describe myself as a proclaimed devi's advocate may seem somewhat arrogant, but I just don't know how else to demonstrate that my drive to question is not for some simple personal gain, but because I feel it is in the best interest of the forum at large to question/discuss things...

Also, I have a few questions that I was wondering if you could help me with:

1) Is Bigfoot real?
2) Where is Jimmy Hoffa?;
3) Who kidnapped the Lindbergh baby?,and last, but not least,
4) Is it true that Elvis and Jim Morrison are still alive and living together as lovers in Vienna, Austria?

All kidding aside, I appreciate your conviction.[/quote]

1.) No
2.) Giants Stadium
3.) Ze Germans, of course
4.) I can neither confirm nor deny this particular rumor...

I guess you misconstrued my point when I mentioned Marko's and Jody's CL. If you have ever read any of my posts, you'll notice that I have always applauded both of their efforts. They have done great things with their cars and have run great times. I happen to live in South Florida and have RENNtech in my backyard. I respect their work and have chosen to use them. That shouldn't bother anyone. My point in mentioning Jody's and Marko's cars was to point out that these cars (CL65s - mine included) do not pick as much mph as you would think on the back end (to answer your original inquiry). My car is included in that group. It was not my intent to proclaim that my car is better. We are all enthusiasts who are trying to make our cars faster. When someone goes a 10.50 with a CL, I will be happy for them.

I wish all my forum brothers and sisters well when they modify their cars. I know from my own experience things you thought would work sometimes don't, and things you thought wouldn't do anything - surprise you.

Anyway. I wish you the best with your cars.
I am happy for you too - and again I don't wish to come off otherwise. I know you probably invested a lot in your car and I'm sorry to say that these new exciting mods don't seem to improve these V12s inability to pick up MPH on the back end as much as I had hoped. That still, of course, does not take away from you running a 10.6 @ 134mph, as I previously mentioned. If you took your average car at the drag strip and he ran 96mph like me or 106mph like you, they would have trapped a hell of a lot higher at the end of their run (Fikse provided a great example, his Viper picks up 34mph on the back end with what looks to be similar power/weight as the 65). I am really unsure how to explain these V12s falling so hard on the back half of the track and still am curious what can be done to help it.

Regards,

Marcus
Old 02-15-2010, 06:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55, Supercharged Z4 (sold)
Seems pretty simple. He picked up around 28mph in 3.7 seconds while you make around 25mph in 4.1 seconds. He would hit approx 31mph in 4.1 seconds which is quite a bit if you ask me, especially at high speeds.

Looking real quick that's about whay a ZR1 does to a Z06 although I noticed that negative DA works in the Z06's favor from what I could tell.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
SL65
Marcus,

I have the fastest stock SL55 on dragtimes.com My stock SL picked up 25mph on the back half in 4.2 seconds.

SGC absolutely RUNS away from me at a 80mph side by side start (on a private closed road course) He leaves me so dead in the water it’s not funny. In seconds all I see are small lights in the distance.

The times and mph might look close after the 1/8 but they aren’t even slightly similar....

It's all about the math....

Last edited by FLSL55; 02-17-2010 at 04:53 PM.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

STS,FGT,12C,P85D,M4
I don't think it's falling hard at all... the CL65 keeps pulling very hard....

I ran his CL65 in my Gallardo when he had 50 less HP and he absolutely left me way behind at any speed.... and the Gallardo did 91MPH in the 1/8 and 117 MPH in the 1/4, a 26 MPH pickup...

ACR: 3400 pounds and 609whp = 5.5 lbs/hp
CL65: 4600 pounds and 708whp = 6.5 lbs/hp

of course the CL65 has a lot more torque.....

Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
(Fikse provided a great example, his Viper picks up 34mph on the back end with what looks to be similar power/weight as the 65). I am really unsure how to explain these V12s falling so hard on the back half of the track and still am curious what can be done to help it.

Regards,

Marcus
Old 02-17-2010, 06:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
Originally Posted by Fikse
I don't think it's falling hard at all... the CL65 keeps pulling very hard....

I ran his CL65 in my Gallardo when he had 50 less HP and he absolutely left me way behind at any speed.... and the Gallardo did 91MPH in the 1/8 and 117 MPH in the 1/4, a 26 MPH pickup...

ACR: 3400 pounds and 609whp = 5.5 lbs/hp
CL65: 4600 pounds and 708whp = 6.5 lbs/hp

of course the CL65 has a lot more torque.....
You know it's strange you guys say all this because my 65 does somewhat the same thing. I ran an M6, who's trapped the SAME as I have, and the same thing happens from 50-150 - I pull away pretty decidedly (and considering the V10s with their 7speeds are geared for top end). There's something strange about the 65's powerband that is a bit deceptive. I understand you guys are comparing it to your non-65s, but in the larger scheme of my experience only picking up 25-27mph on the back end isn't really something my jaw would drop at, yet it seems that this number is just not truly indicative of how these cars actually run in the real world.

-m
Old 02-17-2010, 09:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
You know it's strange you guys say all this because my 65 does somewhat the same thing. I ran an M6, who's trapped the SAME as I have, and the same thing happens from 50-150 - I pull away pretty decidedly (and considering the V10s with their 7speeds are geared for top end). There's something strange about the 65's powerband that is a bit deceptive. I understand you guys are comparing it to your non-65s, but in the larger scheme of my experience only picking up 25-27mph on the back end isn't really something my jaw would drop at, yet it seems that this number is just not truly indicative of how these cars actually run in the real world.

-m
Just to add another V12TT to the mix, albeit the little brother V12.

My car is stock, with only a slightly detuned version of a Eurocharged shelf tune and I picked up nearly 24 mph on the back 1/2 on this particular run. I have 2 other slips with a solid 24mph gain.

Old 02-19-2010, 03:38 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
12C P85DL
Methanol Injection Efficiency/Effectiveness

Fun reading and wow these cars haul the mail.

One comment on the efficiency and effectiveness of Methanol Injection from a nerd's perspective-
Nigel Mansell dominated IndyCar his championship season in part due to the PCI ring Cosworth added to the turbo inlet on the XB that year. PCI stands for pre-compressor injector which, as it sounds, is a ring of injectors located at the turbo inlet.

I was looking at air inlet temperatures on my 95 Lola at Road Atlanta during some of the first runs and was surprised to see Inlet Air Temperatures just below 70 DegF on a day where ambient temperature was over 90! There is no intercooler on Indy/ChampCars and so I expanded my data logs out to show the car in the hot pits before heading out on the track. Yep, I found those 180 DegF readings I would have expected and they fell like a rock as soon as I put my foot into it

Check it out at http://www.lolachampcar.com/pci_ring_fueling.htm

Lastly, ever noticed that all the Indy/ChampCar teams spay water on the fueling port as the cars pull off after pit stops? They do this because methanol goes non-flammable with the addition of a small amount of water (9% if memory serves me but I am getting old so do not hold me to that). We always have a bucket of water near by when we fire up the cars. I would be curious to see if the effectiveness of a methanol injection system was hurt that much by adding enough water to make the methanol non-flammable. The combination would still be atomized by the compressor and the methanol component should still combust once atomized (guessing here). That last part would be super easy to test.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
new balance
congrats Steve
Old 02-19-2010, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 S65, 06 M3 CS(stick), 02 BMW X5 4.6iS, 07 R1 Raven, 08 F-450 4x4, 08 CooperS JCW
great results, v12 tt is where it's at...

-Rob