W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-Pipe or H-Pipe--What proof have you on which is better?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audi s6
X-Pipe or H-Pipe--What proof have you on which is better?

Hey,

Not trying to insight a riot but after reading posts on both I feel that there are conflicted opinions on both sides.

To be honest, today I just modified my exhaust...It was going to be more expensive for them to build the x-pipe instead of doing the H-pipe but would have sprung for it if I did not see all the contradictions. The exhaust shop also said the H-pipe would be better and kind of was the last word before I made the decision.

I removed the secondary cats and resonators with straight pipes all the way back into my Brabus mufflers. The sound is mean under WOT with a small bit of rumble and touch of rasp...Its incredible how much more the car has come alive. I am going to try and reset my ECU tonight to hopefully re-adapt everything. I have shorty headers already and am a little confused on my ECU right now..I am not sure if the dealer flashed it with the injection flash and if the newer software I have on there is properly tuned for my pulley and other upgrades....I really need to throw it on a Dyno to really see what I am producing and want to see what adjustments I need to make.

Back on topic....What does everyone think about the x-pipe- h-pipe controversy?

Last edited by wizos6; 02-15-2010 at 08:37 PM. Reason: spell
Old 02-15-2010, 08:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
granted mine is a s/c 6 cylinder not a v8 but when i did the res delete and secondary cat delete my setup had a oem h pipe. the sound was higher pitched and the drone at 2000 rpm was unmistakeable. i removed the hpipe and added an x pipe from magnaflow in the same location. the sound deepend and the drone all but disappeared. i now have a refined sound around town and in my neighborhood leaving the house at 2 am doesnt offend anyone. yet stand on the throttle and the s/c screams and the exhaust note has a deep european sound to it thru the amg muffler. i was also told the h or x pipe effectiveness is directly related to the location of said pipe in the overall exhaust. there are calulations to determine were it goes. thats why i placed mine in the same location as the factory h
i happily recommend the x pipe!!

Last edited by 320 dreamer; 02-15-2010 at 08:50 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:44 PM

CLS55 & CL CK60
i too am very interested in the generally opinion. please chime in...

ALSO...where would u find an X pipe? does one get fabricated or can u purchase it pre-fab??
Old 02-15-2010, 09:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S63 AMG, E55 AMG,C Class AMG CLK55 AMG, Jeep Rubicon
Cat/Res Delete

Basically pipes to stock mufflers. Sound is mean, definitely has some rasp on start but sounds european.

Car is quiet while cruising. No drone at all. Loud when on it of course.
Attached Thumbnails X-Pipe or H-Pipe--What proof have you on which is better?-most-recent-exhaust-2.jpg   X-Pipe or H-Pipe--What proof have you on which is better?-most-recent-exhaust-7.jpg  

Last edited by jkintegra; 02-15-2010 at 09:53 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:59 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 91 Likes on 46 Posts
C63, SL55, E55, CLS55, ML63, C55
From my experience there are benefits to both..

An xpipe will or should offer a bit more exhaust mixing. Thus maybe equaling out the back pressure from bank to bank. The problem I found with an xpipe is they tend to promote drone in the cabin. You have all the exhaust gasses slamming up against each other. In most cases right under you. That create noise from reverberation. On a performance level i kind of an xpipe fan

The Hpipe will offer smaller amounts of exhaust gas mixing. Is it enough? IDK? However Hpipes tend to drone less than xpipes. due to less exhaust gasses smashing into each other. In turn making for a quieter cabin.

Maybe the xpipe might be better for performance, but the gain might be small. You also have to take into consideration if you have cats or not too.

Last edited by MBH motorsports; 02-15-2010 at 11:46 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 374 Likes on 275 Posts
2005 E55
Im going to run both on my setup,what you did exactly and an xpipe down near the exh.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:36 PM

Audi s6
Ok-Here are my thoughts on this--just my opinion after drawing it out...Wouldn't the exhaust pipe when it meets the x-pipe get restricted from traveling from separate 2.75 and crashing into each other’s flow?
I figured the h-pipe keeps the flow separate and just helps with equalizing pressure..
Old 02-15-2010, 11:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
His wife crazy
Why didn't you go with mandrel bends on your setup?
Old 02-15-2010, 11:50 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 91 Likes on 46 Posts
C63, SL55, E55, CLS55, ML63, C55
Originally Posted by wizos6
Ok-Here are my thoughts on this--just my opinion after drawing it out...Wouldn't the exhaust pipe when it meets the x-pipe get restricted from traveling from separate 2.75 and crashing into each other’s flow?
I figured the h-pipe keeps the flow separate and just helps with equalizing pressure..
This is why more and more each day I'm leaning towards an Hpipe. However I've always had xpipes. Thats the only thing that makes me reluctant. Its the whole switching to something new that always scares me.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:57 PM

Audi s6
Well tonight I went out and really drove the car hard...It sounds sooooooooo dang good!! Its perfect loud WOT but does not drone on the HWY...I love it...Highly recomend it and I am sure the gains might not be that different or better with the x-pipe..>But like the title states...Anyone got proof or try both to see differences?
Old 02-16-2010, 12:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55, '05 SLK55, a few others
Who really cares? Other than sound, does anyone honestly think you could feel the difference between 5-6 HP or 8-9 ft/lbs? Would you actually be able to see the diffence on a dyno repeatedly? On the track? Plenty of other things to spend time and money on if going fast is your goal.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by wizos6
as you said, an h-pipe helps equalize pressure. a properly built x-pipe (and placed in the correct location) will help exhaust gasses maintain velocity through the system. i've had an x-pipe set up with my full exhaust for 3yrs now and never had the slightest hint of any drone.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:09 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
Originally Posted by chiromikey
as you said, an h-pipe helps equalize pressure. a properly built x-pipe (and placed in the correct location) will help exhaust gasses maintain velocity through the system. i've had an x-pipe set up with my full exhaust for 3yrs now and never had the slightest hint of any drone.
I think these stupid mufflers I got are not helping my drone issues. Along with having no cats. Its like an 808 bass drum in my head all the time. I hate it so much.

Mikey PM me. Let me know how things are going bro. When are we racing?
Old 02-16-2010, 12:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by hooleyboy
I think these stupid mufflers I got are not helping my drone issues. Along with having no cats. Its like an 808 bass drum in my head all the time. I hate it so much.

Mikey PM me. Let me know how things are going bro. When are we racing?
i told you from day one to put your oem mufflers back on and get those chrome eyesores off! not only do your oem ones look better but they sound 10x better.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:24 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by X2Board
Why didn't you go with mandrel bends on your setup?
+1
Old 02-16-2010, 12:30 AM

Audi s6
Yeah, I agree a few horsepower you cannot feel but I do feel the difference from getting rid of the cats and resonators. I only brought this up bc I did not want to be missing the train if there was a huge difference between the two...I got a buddy who has the xpipe and his car sounds mean but also is stupid fast-(But he has got a ton of stuff done other than the exhaust)-
I really think I picked up some hp right now and maybe if I get the software thing worked out I might dip into those 11's..>
Old 02-16-2010, 12:31 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
i told you from day one to put your oem mufflers back on and get those chrome eyesores off! not only do your oem ones look better but they sound 10x better.
You are not kidding. I hate my mufflers more than anything! They are coming off this week
Old 02-16-2010, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
hooleyboy when i did all my deletes i added an ansa muffler. straight thru design. immediatly i felyt a loss of power and the noise was unbearable!! drone and LOUD!! kept all my mods and reinstalled the amg muffler. now its refined and a euro beast at wot!
im not sure about the exhaust slamming into each other. my magnafllow x is stamped stainless steel and the flow seems to be very gentle thru it. check the x out and see if its to your liking. seems the homemade x's from bent pipe are more extreme cuts.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MAGNA...item4ced34aa51

Last edited by 320 dreamer; 02-16-2010 at 02:59 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:15 PM

e55
i can tell u like mikey said .. i have been running xpipe for yrs now and no drone what so ever in car .. i also have stock mufflers , but when i put the other race muffles not saying names eis********* the car was so loud and bad drone @ 2k rpm so after a day with them i went back to my stock mufflers and thank god i did . our factory mufflers work the best and with exhaust being done right car will sound sick and free up power .. remember its like a vacuum sucks air in and blows it out less restrictions just increases flow to allow more power
Old 02-16-2010, 03:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
E55 w/ goods, Z32 Project underway
I have found x-pipes work better with exhaust flow but then again there are so many variables. Someone could be comparing a bad x-pipe design to a proper h-pipe and vice verse. The commonly accepted (does not mean 100% of the time) answer is that H-pipes sound better (more old school) and X-pipes flow better.

But.....based on the pics above, it is difficult to gauge any performance measurement when the rest of the pipes are not mandrel bent as pictured. I would take it back and have those pipes redone properly.

Here is an example of a bad x-pipe (but good bends) taken off if this site that many are familiar with as the discussion was a long one.

Here is an example of a nicely done x-pipe from EvoSport

Last edited by pearlpower; 02-16-2010 at 04:01 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I used a crossover... basically a fat X pipe with a small belly in the middle.

Its a generic one... its works just fine. The opening in the middle is pretty good.

I have a deep pitch rumble before boost comes on.. at about 2k rpms.. this gives the nearby cars, enough to know something is different with the E55. Once boost comes on.. its throaty sound..

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-10791/All/

I used 2.5" pipes and 1 crossover pipe... 3" upgrade later once I get headers..
Old 02-16-2010, 04:54 PM

e55
man i can't believe i got under car to take pic for u lol that is a 3in xpipe along with rest of exhaust
Attached Thumbnails X-Pipe or H-Pipe--What proof have you on which is better?-ex1.jpg   X-Pipe or H-Pipe--What proof have you on which is better?-ex2.jpg   X-Pipe or H-Pipe--What proof have you on which is better?-exx.jpg  
Old 02-16-2010, 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Mikey where is your Xpipe located?
Old 02-16-2010, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

cornfed gtr and m3
Originally Posted by vinnyz
man i can't believe i got under car to take pic for u lol that is a 3in xpipe along with rest of exhaust
gdamn..vinny. hope you didn't get dirty!
Old 02-16-2010, 05:19 PM

e55
Originally Posted by 930chas
gdamn..vinny. hope you didn't get dirty!
man i'm telling u right lol .. i got alittle dirt on my back and hands but i hope i'll survive its a weird feeling u know ...... hammerdown my xpipe is where resonator was or more like under rear seat floor board in that area

Last edited by vinnyz; 02-16-2010 at 07:47 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: X-Pipe or H-Pipe--What proof have you on which is better?