W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pano roof problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 12:19 PM

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts
'18 AMG GTR, '04 CL55, '04 E55, '03 CLK500, '01 E55,94 E500, '91 190E 2.5-16 EVOII, '86 560SL
Pano roof problems

I took my car to a paint shop to re-paint some chips in my front bumper, but when I pick up the car, I notice that the curtain of my pano roof was open and it was a very sunny day, so I start driving and I try to close it and it just made some weird noise like some gears were breaking it.

I inmediately returned to the shop to report this issue and they assure me that they never touch any of the interior switches; what am I supoused to do then??...

When I got back to my house I took off the overhead control panel, and the little motors that controls the roof and the curtains. I discover that the electric motor that close/open the curstain does not work until the other motor, the motor from the glass roof sent a signal that the glass is completly closed and it can be close the curtains. So I close the curtains then, but I wont touch it again until I repair this problem.

Now, the problem is that the cable/chain or whatever the name is, is damage; like it was forced to close, or like it got something stuck in its way and someone keeps trying to close the roof.

My question is;
What is the exact name of this cable or chain that the electric motor moves to close the roof?
Do you know if this parts came separately?
Where can I get this part, other than the stealership?

Does anyone here completly disasemble the pano roof??

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audi s6
Not quite...You need to re-sync your windows and sunroof..You should do a search and will fix your issues...Basically hold the switch in the close position for 10 seconds and then the other way for 10 seconds and follow the same for your windows.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:10 PM

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts
'18 AMG GTR, '04 CL55, '04 E55, '03 CLK500, '01 E55,94 E500, '91 190E 2.5-16 EVOII, '86 560SL
Originally Posted by wizos6
Not quite...You need to re-sync your windows and sunroof..You should do a search and will fix your issues...Basically hold the switch in the close position for 10 seconds and then the other way for 10 seconds and follow the same for your windows.
Thanks for your help, but this is not a problem of syncs.
When I open the roof, I have to help with my hands to close it, otherwise its just sounds awfull. Gears craking inside the overhead console.
I also looked at the cable or chain and I saw the tread of this cable damaged, and that is why I need to change this cable.

But I dont know where to look for it.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03' E55 Techtite Grey
The same thing happened to me and I took it to the dealership. They said they had to replace the motor which was $800. Now they said that some tabs broke on the rails and I have to replace those, $1500! I think the broke the "tabs" but tere was no way to prove it so I just had tem close the roof and leave the new motor disconnected. Should I bring it to another MB dealer and have them look at it?
Old 02-16-2010, 11:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audi s6
Sorry--I thought you had the same issue I had and some one directed me to the re-sync...I figured they some how disconnected your battery or something.