82mm- Shaft ported to 85mm

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 11:41 AM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
82mm- Shaft ported to 85mm

I originally shaft ported my 74, then my 80 and now my 82mm.. Been holding off, as with stock manifolds still on thre car, extra TB flow is now doing much.. Hope to have headers pretty soon, so I did a little pre-grinding..

I am sure we would all like to see before and after dyno numbers and bench flow numbers , as well as have a dyno in our garage.. I test what I can and when I can but this is just one of those mods I like and do regardless.

I did a very conservative grind job on this TB and only removed about 40% of the shaft material .. I still need to clean up the top inlet side and grind off the screw threads on the bottom but you can get the idea..

Mathamatically speaking, this will increase the flow area to an 85mm TB.. Just flattening off the top of a round shaft will increase flow and cut down on turbulence..

Stock 82mm inlet side, before grinding.

Stock 82mm TB motor side.

Ported shaft motor side and I left screw threads sticking through to help show material removal. I also red locktite these and then smooth off after they set for a few minutes.

Another pic; showing flow angle on ground shaft. Top screw head side is ported left and screw heads are left intact.

Here is another shot before grinding screw tips off..

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd

Last edited by Exotic-metal55; 02-18-2010 at 01:26 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:04 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
Nice work
Old 02-18-2010, 01:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55, Supercharged Z4 (sold)
You're the man. When I get mine I think I may send it straight to MaxBore to max it out.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:45 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
Originally Posted by Luke_M
You're the man. When I get mine I think I may send it straight to MaxBore to max it out.
Be carefull having your TB (especially a $$$ 82mm) bored out.. These large fly by wire TB`s are very, very hard to bore and calibrate air flow for ECU idle.. We live on the knife`s edge of an idle code as it is and if a drop of extra air comes by at idle, you wull live with the P505 code for ever..

Cable driven Tb`s are very easy to take apart and bore out but our fly by wire TB`s are very tricky on these MB`s..

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 02-18-2010, 02:29 PM

On his website he indicates that he has lots of experience with drive by wire so that was encouraging. Is it the "seal" that can be screwed up?
Old 02-18-2010, 02:52 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
Originally Posted by Luke_M
On his website he indicates that he has lots of experience with drive by wire so that was encouraging. Is it the "seal" that can be screwed up?
Getting the electronics apart on most FBW is pretty easy but after they bore the TB out, they have to put a larger butterfly blade in.. This is the part that is going to be real hard on our TB`s, as most of us are at 1.4% TPS opening. This very low and on the border line for a P505 code.. They would need some way to calibrate the factory air flow and keep the new bored TB and butterfly opening the same or less (within a 2%). Maybe they have some kind of air flow measuring system and it will be fine.. Ask them, when you call.

Another option, is that one of the tuners figure out how to adjust our TPS calibration, so we can keep a smooth idle and no codes.. Maybe just raising the idle a hair would solve the problem.. Just ideas and thoughts..

Sounds like you are game to try, so please let us know how it goes and I will send mine in too..

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 02-18-2010, 04:39 PM

Well I was game to try lol I'll have to save this info and ask questions when the time comes. Thanks Brooke! You're a weatlh of information!
Old 03-07-2010, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Exotic-metal55
I originally shaft ported my 74, then my 80 and now my 82mm.. Been holding off, as with stock manifolds still on thre car, extra TB flow is now doing much.. Hope to have headers pretty soon, so I did a little pre-grinding..

I am sure we would all like to see before and after dyno numbers and bench flow numbers , as well as have a dyno in our garage.. I test what I can and when I can but this is just one of those mods I like and do regardless.

I did a very conservative grind job on this TB and only removed about 40% of the shaft material .. I still need to clean up the top inlet side and grind off the screw threads on the bottom but you can get the idea..

Mathamatically speaking, this will increase the flow area to an 85mm TB.. Just flattening off the top of a round shaft will increase flow and cut down on turbulence..
I have a stock throttle body and want to do this mod. Can the computer compensate for the extra air on it's own without getting a re-tune? Thanks

Last edited by ryan b; 03-07-2010 at 02:56 PM.