***AMG Flat Hood Badges IN STOCK***

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 08:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 AMG C63 S
Exclamation ***AMG Flat Hood Badges IN STOCK***

Take a look at the sticky above for PICS and details. The new AMG flat hood badge is a quality item built from OEM badge by DFW Dude. Extremely easy to install. Many hours of labor go into each one that is constructed.

The centering is perfect. I just received and installed my AMG flat hood badge. Just wanted to pass this along in case you are interested. The White Star badge is also available again.

Get your badge today, it might just be that simple.

Sack
Old 02-21-2010, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,753 Likes on 1,123 Posts
2016 E350 Sport
Sack, thanks for your comments. As this is written, there are less than 15 AMG Badges on the planet. So these are very unique style statements that set your AMG apart from all others.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS55 AMG & RRS S/C
can u make one with the AMG crest (the one with the tree) that would fit a CLS?
the flat badges on the cls are about 10mm bigger than the ones that would fit the E.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by jikjak
can u make one with the AMG crest (the one with the tree) that would fit a CLS?
the flat badges on the cls are about 10mm bigger than the ones that would fit the E.
There are lots of other sources for the fruit salad badge. I'm not one of them. Geez...
Old 02-23-2010, 12:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS55 AMG & RRS S/C
wow relax, i was just asking a question, and FYI there arent any in the proper size that i need.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:30 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
With all due respect to DFWdude, there are actually no quality sources of the "fruid salad" or otherwise known as "Original / Authentic / Etc." badges. Mercedes is very picky about releasing anything with that design on it and I believe the last ones were on the E55 president's edition (not my taste).

Mario was supplying some decent ones for a while but has faded. Good luck terence.

On another note, I am not a fan of the AMG one but l0ove the fit finish, etc. of my Star flat badge by DFWdude.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 AMG C63 S
Originally Posted by jikjak
wow relax, i was just asking a question, and FYI there arent any in the proper size that i need.
Sorry the size isn't working out.

I don't know DFWdude but I know him to be "intense" and extremely committed to his work. He does what he says he will do and produces two quality badges.

A couple of years ago several members tried unsuccessfully to commission a "fruit salad" badge from DFWdude and harassed him along the way in a crude manner. In reality they were just disappointed that he wasn't going to make the badge they wanted. I think you may have touched a nerve.

I have no special interest in anything other than to try and encourage people to invest in something of value that is a desirable addition to an already good looking vehicle.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:37 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Guys, if DFWdude had a "fruit salad" badge, you wouldn't have to ask for it because he would promote it here. I've met him here in Dallas on several occassions, and I can tell you he's interested in making badges that are unique and valuable as rarities.

The last several years there have been plenty of Affalterbach badges available from a variety of sources, including dirt cheap ones on e-Bay, and wildly expensive examples (Mario). I imagine the dude doesn't think that making yet another example would be unique, or creative.

We all know about the two badges DFWdude sells. As for asking about something else, it's a bit like walking into a Mercedes Dealer expecting to buy a Volkswagen. Not many people would expect to do that without getting a frown from the MB salesperson, right?

He not only gets questions about different badges, but he also gets questions for black badges, current design silver star badges, etc... every badge except what he makes. If he was not happy with his current products, I suppose he would evaluate branching out into other styles. Keep in mind, until last December, he was content to offer only his original white star for 3+ years. And even then, he got countless requests to alter those. So, he must be happy that what he offers sells in sufficient qualtities just as they are.

Frankly I think we should be happy he has two items for sale, top quality, and rare items at that. You have to see one to really understand they are, beyond doubt, the very best aftermarket hood badges available anywhere, at any price.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:09 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
The people that ask mean no harm. they don't know what he offers and how he operates.

Maybe you say we should be happy but maybe he shou;d be happy as well. His sponsorship here has not hurt his art. Again, don't get me wrong. i am a customer and recommend not onoly his work but all business practices. DFWdude is a cool cat with a cool niche. Just no need to scoff at a cool member who would never degrade anyone. (Terrance).
Old 02-24-2010, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
I’m not sure how to respond so that everyone is happy, but I will try.

First, to anyone who feels my responses are curt, I apologize. This is not my intent at all to "scoff" at anyone, personally.

Every time I get one of these questions, I attempt to be responsive, because it is a legitimate question, and the first time asked for that person. However, in addressing the same question dozens of times previously, it personally frustrates me, because I have learned that no matter how short or detailed my answer is, I know it will never be enough to avoid ruffling someone’s feelings.

I am not a miracle worker who can snap my fingers and make badges to any person’s individual desires and specifications, whether it be this size or that, one design versus another, one color instead of another, to fit a car other than intended, etc. I’m just a metal machinist with an idea and limited resources. My badges are designed to please the largest audience possible, not individual tastes.

For instance, I constantly get requests to turn the Laurel Wreath area in the standard badge from Blue to Black. Never mind that my badge is just a small decorative part where color doesn’t visually matter more than 5 feet distant. Never mind that owners live for years with the regular Blue Laurel Wreath on their Black cars without complaint. Never mind that if I could change the color, that others would complain that I’ve abandoned the “traditional” blue. And never mind that fully a third of my (blue) badges reside on Black cars today, their owners perfectly happy with it. There is always someone who feels that blue and black are not complimentary colors, when in fact they most certainly are.

The simple explanation is that I am limited in what I can do (my desires and interests completely out of the mix). As shown in this picture, I buy the standard factory upright star from my local dealer (as anyone can) and mill away the center mount to accept my specially designed flat badge inserts. I don’t silk-screen the Blue Laurel Wreath area myself, nor do I alter the standard part in any way, other than to mill out the center bit, and add my own parts in the barrel of the mount. Hence, I CAN’T change the color to black, even if I wanted to do so. I've explained this several times in the past. But that doesn’t mean that people can’t continue to ask, as they do, over and over and over…

Practicalities aside, my products match my passion for something unique with what I can physically achieve. This means that I do not like to duplicate what others produce. In addition, and most important, I try to anticipate what will please the most people. Survival of my small hobby/business depends on it. And the results seem to support what I offer... For every ten inquiries I receive, 3-4 people buy one of my badges. Most product marketers would be delighted with a 35% sales rate. (I could lower prices and achieve even higher results, but then I couldn’t keep up with the demand.) So I am pleased that my passion for my designs is shared by a large enough base of customers to confirm that I am on a reasonable path.

That path won’t please everyone. But the greatest man to walk this earth couldn’t please twelve, either. I will try to be more accepting of everyone’s questions, no matter how often asked, knowing that my answers will not please everyone. I also ask that members be patient with me, knowing that I have tried in the past to answer all of these questions, numerous times, always (it seems) with limited success.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'13 GT-R AMS Alpha 9+, CLA45, E55
Well said.

I own both badges and am more than pleased with the finish and unique qualities they bring to my car. I do personally like the white star best but the AMG badge is different and I love change.

If a third badge is introduced as it may be in the coming years I would strongly consider purchasing that one from DFWdude as well.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by tgoss
Well said.

I own both badges and am more than pleased with the finish and unique qualities they bring to my car. I do personally like the white star best but the AMG badge is different and I love change.

If a third badge is introduced as it may be in the coming years I would strongly consider purchasing that one from DFWdude as well.
tgoss, thanks for the kind remarks. It's nice to know that my work pleases... Maybe you can post a picture of your new AMG Badge sometime. I want to see more photos of it on different color cars. I'd like to see if the AMG style picks up hints of the hood color, the way the WHITE STAR seems to do...
Old 03-07-2010, 11:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'13 GT-R AMS Alpha 9+, CLA45, E55
Originally Posted by DFWdude
tgoss, thanks for the kind remarks. It's nice to know that my work pleases... Maybe you can post a picture of your new AMG Badge sometime. I want to see more photos of it on different color cars. I'd like to see if the AMG style picks up hints of the hood color, the way the WHITE STAR seems to do...
Well thank you for making a quality replacement for the ornament

I'll get some photos up when I get my wheels back from powder coat and get the diffuser and other crap on that has been sitting in my living room for the past month and a half.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
Thanks again. I think a lot of people are waiting for Spring weather to start posting pictures of clean cars.

But all I want to see are my badges (especially the new AMG badges) and that usually is just a shot of the hood and grille. LOL!
Old 03-23-2010, 07:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 E55
i love mine,....great product dfwdude
Old 03-23-2010, 09:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
2017 Mercedes Benz E220D/GONE!JUNK!Current GLC Coupe 350d 4 Matic
how much is the badge that is mill prepped?
Old 03-23-2010, 09:12 PM

Takes the bus.
So you get oem badges, mill out an enlarged hole and design/outsource the new flat badge to go in place of the standing symbol. Correct?
How much for a star version?
Old 03-24-2010, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
Crescendo, in a word, yes. I also design, mold, and cast a resin plug that locates the lock mechanism to the base. Further, I have developed some specialized tools/jigs to assist in disassembling the OEM star. I can do this in less than 5 minutes. Without these tools, it will take someone else about 30-40 minutes.

Everyone, I have a long-standing policy not to discuss prices here. If you will show your interest by taking a few seconds to click on my e-mail address in black below the signature in this post to request information, I will promptly return your e-mail with pricing and all pertinent questions answered.

Last edited by DFWdude; 03-24-2010 at 12:56 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by BelaMeca
how much is the badge that is mill prepped?
I'm not sure if I understand your question. If you ask if I will sell the mill prepped base by itself as a part, the answer is no. I create and sell completed WHITE STAR or AMG flat badges.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
In the past, a few people made a constructive observation, wishing that the WHITE STAR insert were more "three dimensional," standing out more from the rest of the badge.

So, when I found the new factory, I remembered this and went back to the drawing board to push the limits of vertical relief that could be had in the metal WHITE STAR insert stamping.

A comparison between the original design (badges 003-365 - left) and the inserts used in current production (right) is noted below. There's now more depth in the parts.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by DFWdude
In the past, a few people made a constructive observation, wishing that the WHITE STAR insert were more "three dimensional," standing out more from the rest of the badge.

So, when I found the new factory, I remembered this and went back to the drawing board to push the limits of vertical relief that could be had in the metal WHITE STAR insert stamping.

A comparison between the original design (badges 003-365 - left) and the inserts used in current production (right) is noted below. There's now more depth in the parts.

Looks great

Small observation: it'd be nice to have the center of the triangle (where all lines intersect) be higher than the end-points so that the star wouldn't just look raised, it would look like it has a 3-dimensional body.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
Looks great

Small observation: it'd be nice to have the center of the triangle (where all lines intersect) be higher than the end-points so that the star wouldn't just look raised, it would look like it has a 3-dimensional body.
Just to note, it's only been since the all silver tristars that they have peaked in the center. The traditional, wide, white stars are flat as you see here.