W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

For Those Familiar w/ the Bottom End....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2010 | 11:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

86 190E 2.3-16v, 92 500E, 03 CL55 AMG, 08 E3504M Brabus
For Those Familiar w/ the Bottom End....

No, really. Okay, I admit that wasn't funny. A quick question for some of the more thorough gear heads over here: is it worth a hundred or so bucks to pick up a low mileage stock crank, set of cams and pistons to have them machined to a lighter weight, or have the pistons remade stronger and lighter?

I guess what I'm asking is what kind of power, if any, do you guys think I could get more out of the V6 by going the weight reduction route w/ these parts? Is this an opportunity at a low price or am I getting in over my head? Thanks guys.
Old 02-23-2010 | 08:24 AM

2005 Silver E55
it will be diminishing returns. both mods will be expensive to complete and some of this limited parts. I am not that familiar with the V6 but dont see alot heavily modded. there are more parts for the E55 but to work on engine internals is not cheap and then its a rebuild to put in. very little power increase for the amount of cost. Now if you just want 1/4 performance the motor has alot of room for bolt on and tunes with alot of guys here well over 550 hp. if you want to save wt start taking things off the car , this is always cheaper and then lose a few pounds this will make you healthier to. it always amuses me to see guys try and hop up their motorcycle and shave wt . but wt over 250lb riding them. just lose a few pounds.
Old 02-23-2010 | 09:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by mikeevo
it will be diminishing returns. both mods will be expensive to complete and some of this limited parts. I am not that familiar with the V6 but dont see alot heavily modded. there are more parts for the E55 but to work on engine internals is not cheap and then its a rebuild to put in. very little power increase for the amount of cost. Now if you just want 1/4 performance the motor has alot of room for bolt on and tunes with alot of guys here well over 550 hp. if you want to save wt start taking things off the car , this is always cheaper and then lose a few pounds this will make you healthier to. it always amuses me to see guys try and hop up their motorcycle and shave wt . but wt over 250lb riding them. just lose a few pounds.

I've often wondered when Alan, Mike, Ahmad, etc. were going to start going extreme and doing some serious weight lost on themselves!
Old 02-23-2010 | 10:55 AM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
To be honest, it isn't worth it on a V6. You can get all that stuff for $100? Find me some W211 E55 rods/pistons for $100 lol

Originally Posted by I Like Soup

I've often wondered when Alan, Mike, Ahmad, etc. were going to start going extreme and doing some serious weight lost on themselves!
Haha I'm not that hardcore!
Old 02-23-2010 | 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'13 GT-R AMS Alpha 9+, CLA45, E55
OT: tell me that's your bully in your avatar.