W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

pics of sharing the engine cooling circuit from the intercooler's cooling circuit?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2010 | 10:20 AM

E55 K
pics of sharing the engine cooling circuit from the intercooler's cooling circuit?

Can anyone give an instruction (with pics) on which way I can sharing the intercooler´s cooling circuit from the engine cooloing circuit?
And have I pay attention to something?

I read here, that it is not much work to realize this.
Old 02-23-2010 | 10:55 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
what do you mean by sharing?

If I understand your desire properly:

Around here we usually do 3 things that are fairly easy and cheap to help with SC cooling.

1 - Increase the total VOLUME of coolant to have a better "buffer". This is typically done by adding an additional HE to the front or rear of the car or replacing the current SC HE with a larger one.

2 - Change out the HE pump. There is some debate here as to why or with which model, but I think you will find that no matter what, the OEM pumps simply don't get it done. I personally like the davies automotive series of pumps. They are large flow and large inlets and outlets for minimal pressure and max exchange. Also, they are made for this application vs the ones that are actually made to empty salt water from a boat.

3 - Separate the Engine cooling fluid (circuit) from the SC on. To do this, you can simply follow the tubes that currently feed into your HE pump and out of the HE. You will want to disconnect themm from the OEM reservoir and plug the reservoir to not leak. Then, you need to put those 2 hoses onto a new reservoir that you have mounted somewhere. Some are integrating it into the trunk, others the front. Many have used the power steering reservoir or something similar, but I was always after something around 1.5 gallons.

hope that helps. cooling is the best mod you can do to that car along with rotors and wheels.
Old 02-23-2010 | 01:16 PM

E55 K
Hey thanks for reply! I mean seperate engine cooling fluid from the SC.
The only "bad" thing is that the Eingine Cooling and SC use the same reservoir?
A seperate circuit (now the SC) needs an extra pump or not? When I seperate the SC from the engine cooling, the SC has no pump to let flow?
Its hard for me to visualize the structure of the oem circuit.
Old 02-23-2010 | 01:30 PM

2005 S55 1982 300dt
I think I can help. Here's a pic:

And up above in the DIY sticky, BrianS takes you through the procedure.
Old 02-23-2010 | 01:42 PM

E55 K
Ok the pics show me only the Intercooler cooling circuit. But where is the engine cooling circuit? I thougt that the engine cooling and the intercooler cooling use the same circuit.

As shown in the drawing the intercoolers cooling circuit is seperate so that I don´t have to seperate the engine cooling circuit from the SC.
Old 02-23-2010 | 02:07 PM

2005 Silver E55
will follow along, seems to be a needed mod. does anyone have pics of their setup. I guess i dont like the idea of running hose to the trunk . large area for a leak or puncture. larger HE a great start. I to read the debates on which pump. did anyone change the mixture or do you still just use radiator fluids/water. on the my EVO they had an intercooler sprayer setup to help cool the fins . ETOH/water mix is anyone else doing this as well as separate inter-cooler.

great another mod I have not done Yet.