Engine coding like crazy! Help?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 09:49 AM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Engine coding like crazy! Help?

I am constantly seeing the bank 1&2 rear 02`s "to lean" code.. Seems to be predominate during cold start up mode and driving while engine is trying to reach opperating temp.. I had this code some before the race cat instal but seems worse now..

I also can get the MAP code too, especially if some boost kicks in before engine has reached full operating temp..

I have taken my TB off a few times and now the dreaded idle code is back, as my TPS % is back to 1.1% .. That is down from 1.8% where I had no codes.. Taken off and on twice now to re-seal but no luck..

Here is another strange scenario.. My STFT show N/A on my data logger? I thought my rear 02 wires were switched around on the wrong bank, so I switched them around.. STFT were reading then but now they are showing N/A..

Any ideas where to start? Do I need a MAP sensor or new 02`s?

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 03-03-2010, 09:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
GLE 63S
Exotic what are the codes? P0505 & P0506? I get it occasionally when the car is cold and I gas it before the water team is up to normal temperature.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 Jeep SRT, 2008 G37s 6MT (The Mrs.), 2005 Explorer
The ODBII codes are consistent across manufacturers. Here's an explanation of P0505 and a list of some others.
http://www.automotivetroubleshooting...20codes-15.htm

Exotic,
Would it be possible to have Jerry open up the limits on the rear O2 sensors so as to not throw the lean O2 code? (Unless its running lean and not just a product of your race cats, then there might be another issue.) It sounds like your ECU thinks your A/F ratio might be outside the bounds that the ECU considers best for emissions. On the LS1, I'm pretty sure the factory setting is 14.7:1 +/- 5%, outside of that you'll throw the code. I think your on the right track with the MAP or O2 sensors. Is it possible there's a sensor that has a bad connection? I'll check to see if I still have my O2 sims. They would tell you if its the O2 sensor or MAP. My guess is that its the MAP that's giving you the STFT N/A which is leaning out the A/F and throwing the lean O2 codes. Just a guess though.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 374 Likes on 275 Posts
2005 E55
what are your ltfts? maybe an o2 went bad on install.but having them both go at the same time is not likely.

what is the map code your getting,I got a weird map pressure code a few times on heavy load and I still have the dreded 505 code and my tps is a 1.1 also.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:27 AM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
Originally Posted by grantwoodtx
Exotic what are the codes? P0505 & P0506? I get it occasionally when the car is cold and I gas it before the water team is up to normal temperature.
Yes, those are the P505 but not the 06.. I don`t get the map code all the time but do if I get into boost while engine is warming.. I am running the stock T stat , as my engine really needs the heat..

99DirtybirdWS6 The ODBII codes are consistent across manufacturers. Here's an explanation of P0505 and a list of some others.
http://www.automotivetroubleshooting...20codes-15.htm

Exotic,
Would it be possible to have Jerry open up the limits on the rear O2 sensors so as to not throw the lean O2 code? (Unless its running lean and not just a product of your race cats, then there might be another issue.) It sounds like your ECU thinks your A/F ratio might be outside the bounds that the ECU considers best for emissions. On the LS1, I'm pretty sure the factory setting is 14.7:1 +/- 5%, outside of that you'll throw the code. I think your on the right track with the MAP or O2 sensors. Is it possible there's a sensor that has a bad connection? I'll check to see if I still have my O2 sims. They would tell you if its the O2 sensor or MAP. My guess is that its the MAP that's giving you the STFT N/A which is leaning out the A/F and throwing the lean O2 codes. Just a guess though.

I was getting these codes before altering my cats and miod pipe but they are much worse now..

I just changed a bank 2 sensor 1 02sensor the other day, just to be safe.. No help..That sensor was on the side my engine blew up on (12k miles ago) and wanted to make sure it was a non issue.. My map sensor was also the same one in the negine when it blew, so I am second guessing that sensor too.

skratch77 what are your ltfts? maybe an o2 went bad on install.but having them both go at the same time is not likely.

what is the map code your getting,I got a weird map pressure code a few times on heavy load and I still have the dreded 505 code and my tps is a 1.1 also.
I have to check those again at lunch.. My TB was at 1.8% for 5 months and no codes, until I took it off and messed with it.. Makes me sick!!

I am getting the P2096 and P2098 post catalyst to lean codes on both banks..

Last edited by Exotic-metal55; 03-03-2010 at 11:59 AM.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:16 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
LTFT are at .7% bank 1 and 1.5% bank 2 at wide open throttle.. STFT still show N/A all the time.. Still showing post cat lean code.

P0505 TPS idle code, should be a gasket leak.. I took it off and upon re-instal was at .7% only.. Took off again, cleaned all old RTV off and re-installed and at 1.1%.. So some progress made.. This problem I understand but the one above , I do not..
Old 03-04-2010, 11:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 cl55 (sold)
Not that damn P0505 code AGAIN! I don't want to hear that Is this the throttle body with the grinded plate...... Maybe something there? Run a smoke machine through that thing to find a possible leak. And.... you were only at 1.8% with no codes? So it never hit the ~3% the stocker runs at? Damn. Anyone else getting P0505 with the Mercedes 82mm?