W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Off to more reliable pastures! Bye E63

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.

Old 03-14-2010, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 423 Likes on 349 Posts
MB’s
Some of things in this story seem far fetched here.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Thrown about everything but the kitchen sink at my baby and she's performed better than I could have ever dreamed.

Had some bumps in the road but again, I ask a lot from her.

Can you imagine if every single person on this forum posted about how great their car runs and how they never have major problems with it year in and out.

Pretty boring slice of the net mbworld would be.

This is the exception and not the rule. Not saying there aren't AMG lemons out there.....otherwise AMG wouldn't have a "buy back" program.

Sorry you had so much trouble bro. Good luck with the Infin.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E63, 2006 C55
RE: 07 E63 Problems

David,

Sorry to hear about your problems. For what it's worth my 07 E63 has treated me pretty much like your Infiniti. I take it everywhere, it runs perfectly, and has been completely reliable in the 11 months I have owned it. Best 4 door Merc I have owned by a wide margin, I am still as smitten with it as the day I bought it.

Ironically, it was Infiniti that brought me to Mercedes back in 2005. I bought a new 2005 G35 that pulled left big time, had soft paint that chipped if you blew on it, and also had several fit/finish issues most of which were ultimately repaired. But, after a half dozen service visits to 3 different dealers for the left pull, and I mean LEFT PULL, I simply traded it in on a new 05 E500 after they were unable to properly fix the car. I also recognise that while I had a bad car, Infiniti makes lots of good cars too.

I'm not ragging on Infiniti, but all the manufacturers have a bad one slip out the door from time to time, and they don't always do a very good job at making things right for the customer.

Enjoy your new wheels, I hope they work out for you, but don't blame the Mercedes brand, they make lots of good ones too.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by cte430
this is hysterical. Including things like worn tires, brakes, and bent rims when complaining about a car's reliability. Curious about the headlights - someone take a baseball bat to them?

Plus insurance costs(?) WTF does that have to do with MB?

The price of a car doesn't have any bearing on how well it will treat you. Have you ever owned an Italian exotic? Price doesn't reflect reliability. It reflects the cost of building the car and its limited sales market. Why is it people always think spending money means a car should behave just like a Honda Accord?

fwiw, a former work mate of mine bought a brand new Lexus a few years ago and his horror story of ownership is a lot worse than yours.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 Mercedes Benz E63 AMG, 2017 Porsche Macan S
wow...that's too bad.

I have the complete opposite experience with my car. The best car I've ever owned.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2009 C63
You car looks more palladium than iridium ^^^. farewell
Old 03-14-2010, 08:25 PM

2019 s560 sedan
well all i can say is low oil on a new motor is common , usually lose about a quart every month or 2 until about 10k . Burning thru tires hey im on my 4th set and car has 28k on it and i did brakes pads @ 11k thru mb dealer "875.00 " ouch !

Only had some vibration after lowering the car due to a loose wheel bearing and that is minor . Car is as reliable as they come . We modded the B11tch and hot lapped her at Atco at least 20 times in a row with barely no cool down and kept performing like a superstar .

21 years old , living in NJ i think has much to do with your problems

As far as bent wheels didnt u buy rim & tire insurance ??? i DId . especially in NY it is a must .
Old 03-14-2010, 08:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 E63, 2005 Dodge Ram Hemi
The only real issue I've had with my E63 is the driver rear air shock and warranty covered that...Oh well...Hope you don't bend your Infiniti's 21's...
Old 03-14-2010, 09:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
211-55
Originally Posted by emoving
Headlight broke 3 times, air intake tube detached from engine, oil becoming extremely low after only 6,000 miles, tires done in only 9,000 miles, 3 different occasions of bent rims, 1 brake pad change, 3 separate occasions of squeal brakes (more than usual), batteries replaced in each key, broken outdoor thermometer, keyless go door handles not working, 1 fender bender, which required 2 visits to fix, and on top of all that, my usual service every 10,000 miles

Well I gotta point out here, the green sounds like bad driving, the blue sounds like lots of use and the red is about the only thing you may be able to blame MB for. You hit a good hole with your EX and your gonna bend some rims, you hit the gas often and your gonna use tires, you hit the brakes often and your gonna use brakes, you open your door 20 times a day and your gonna wear out batteries. Back to the main difference.....your Infinity will be cheaper to fix...so once again,,,,,, YOU GOTTA PAY TO PLAY! I would say half if not more of your problem were owner caused!

+1000000. If you're bending rims multiple times and getting into fender benders in a short time frame, you really need to consider driving around in a Kia Rio for a few years.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
V12TT
lol

Read the red
Originally Posted by coold8
It was Friday morning, boom over a large bump, vibration coming from rim. This is the AMG experience I thought, every week I get to experience my service advisor Dave, telling me I have my choice between a C300 or a Lincoln MKZ, after which my 2 hours weekly delay getting in to work, I get in my loaner car and drive off for 6 hours only to come back to a temporarily working AMG, calling by name the man at the Enterprise.
This was a common occurrence during my first, and last AMG experience. I just kept telling myself, the good times (pulling up to the nightclubs, having random people give me a thumbs up, going drag racing), was enough to offset the bad. Since August when I bought the car, I have been in the shop countless times (close to a dozen). Headlight broke 3 times,How? Drove into something? Stoned on from highway? air intake tube detached from engine wow you can't attach that back yourself? It's a plastic tube that attaches to the airbox, oil becoming extremely low after only 6,000 miles wow that's alotta miles before your car asked for oil. My CL55 asks for oil every 1.5-2k miles and CLS550 every 5k miles (NON AMG), tires done in only 9,000 milesMine last 5000 miles. Again that's sick how you managed to make them last that long, engine mounts replacedComplained about the 'harsh' idle?, 3 different occasions of bent rimsStop ramming into curbs and driving over those massive potholes you know you could avoid, 1 brake pad change, 3 separate occasions of squeal brakes (more than usual) I hate this my CL and CLS both have this from time to time but meh it's common on all benzes, even my old S500, batteries replaced in each key Really? Both batteries died in the key FOB? How much did that cost 5 dollars? , broken outdoor thermometer How? Hit something? It's located on the lower bumper grille... I'm starting to think you hit something, keyless go door handles not working I understand that I hate the keyless go never works properly but when it does it's awesome TG for warranty, 1 fender bender Oh so you did hit something, which required 2 visits to fix damn how hard did you hit it? Glad you were in the benz, and on top of all that, my usual service every 10,000 miles That's a good interval, compare it to other high performance dragster cars . Oh did I forget to the mention the constant rattling coming from the panoramic sunroof? No you didn't but I'm sure it's very and annoying All while absorbing the exorbitant costs of inconvenience.
Lurking in the shadows was my old reliable Infiniti EX35, loaded. Make sure you don't hit anything in that thing In 24,000 miles, all it ever asked for was 4 oil changes, a set of tires, and a set of brake pads. So I said to myself, the EX35 much as though in a different class is actually a better car, I get to drive it, and drive it anywhere, and not even twitch or worry about anything. Talk about pleasure. The only problem was in the speed and handling, it just couldn't compare.
The decision became clear to me, why not get a reliable car (no german), with high performance, I can use in any condition. The Lexus LX? No too big, too slow. The MDX, to slow and boring. Well, the obvious transition was the Infiniti FX50 - S. I took the median of the two cars, and shoved them together. Better handling and performance than the EX, however considerably better reliability of the E63, with an added bonus of a beautiful cockpit, with likely the best navigation system ever created. The EX was worth 40k new, and the E63 90k new, that put me at a perfect 65k, a nice affordable compromise to add to the fire. Did I mention? I am saving 5k a year in insurance? Likely $5-10k a year in maintenance?
As a company Mercedes should be ashamed of itself. How can you create any car, as expensive as this is, and allow things like the outdoor thermometer or the air intake tube going into the engine become easily detached? How dare you tell me that a headlight, a concept developed 100 years ago, can't even turn on, 3 times? All of this hassle and mess for thousands of dollars, and for what? A short thrill on the way to work. All I have to say to Mercedes is your cockiness, your shabby manufacturing, shows so little respect to your customer that I find it repulsive, if anyone ever comes to me for a recommendation on a car, and they do, I would rank you lower than a Kia and a do not buy. If a guy told me he wanted a CL65, I would recommend a Kia Rio, because at least you know the air conditioning won't work, because there isn't any! So I bid you farewell my fellow Mercedes friends, as I walk away from this 6 month $20,000 maintenance mess (payments + repairs + lost work, if I add time we are closer to $25,000), and enter my balanced bliss.

-David J. Eisen
Enjoy that infinity. Post stuff like this and of course you will get flamed. Kia Rio over a CL65? That's great you enjoy your Kia too.

Last edited by benz_addict; 03-14-2010 at 11:07 PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
3-five-five/ TUNDRA/ 07 997 cab
Benzaddict!
Old 03-14-2010, 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by cte430
this is hysterical. Including things like worn tires, brakes, and bent rims when complaining about a car's reliability. Curious about the headlights - someone take a baseball bat to them?
Probably too many hood rats trying to hit a sexy pose on the hood....

Tom
Old 03-14-2010, 11:50 PM

2008 Mercedes Benz E63 AMG, 2017 Porsche Macan S
Originally Posted by chubbs032
You car looks more palladium than iridium ^^^.
Were you talking to me? Mine isn't Iridium..it's Indium Grey.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:52 PM

1969 280S, 1991 300E
Originally Posted by chubbs032
You car looks more palladium than iridium ^^^. farewell
Iridium GREY, not iridium SILVER.

There. Now somebody learned something from this thread.

OP, do you secretly own stock in Kleenex and are trying to get us all to buy a bunch and help you cry into it. Have fun in your Infiniti.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:02 AM

2016 AMG GT-S
Yea to clarify,

Fender Bender: Was hit parked at a light for 45 seconds, in the rear, by someone not paying attention. Bumper replaced, but dealer did not realize the crack that had happened near the glass of the left taillight, and during repair they chipped off the piece that was cracked.
Rims: I have hit plenty of pot holes with the EX, never bent a rim. Also if you don't live in DC or NY you don't understand that if there is a car next to you, and a car in front of you, sometimes it is between you hitting another car or taking a hit from the pothole. What I am saying with the rims is that yes, it is on the driver to avoid, however if it happens a somewhat sturdy rim is reasonable. I see it as a quality issue, keep in mind tires were all-seasons, not sport tires. You should be able to take a hit once in a while.
Keys: I know it was only $5 (actually free), but it is all about hassle, not cost.
Headlamp: Nothing hit the headlamp, noticed flickering, assembly replaced, noticed flickering again after fixing, replaced again, finally fixed flickering, then they forgot to reprogram the light. It is a share of Mercedes and Dealer fault, but the dealer represents Mercedes, so I consider it more of a flaw with Mercedes.
Keyless Go: To say when it works its awesome is not a valid excuse. There are plenty of cars that have extremely similar technology (Lexus, Acura, BMW), and they work just fine. It isn't new technology get it right.
Air Intake: I did not play with it at all, I noticed it when a friend asked to pop the hood.

I know I am posting this on a fanboy forum, and wasn't expecting a well reception, however future buyers may actually hear something unbiased for once. Call my arguments irrational or crazy, call me poor, call me whatever you want, but what it all comes down to is hassle. Whether it is a broken key, or shabby repair, it is hassle. I don't blame the insurance on Mercedes, that is on me, but it all goes into cost of ownership versus hassle.

Why are you so willing to defend something that clearly doesn't show quality or well thought out planning? Example: Make a rim sturdy enough to eat a pot hole once in a while. It is a heavy car, a sedan, and not every road you take it on will be perfect, especially here in the US. Then if you get quality you move on to service. The dealer should fix the car perfectly every time, not leave a hose out or any other excuse. We pay a premium for the car, you should expect not only performance but true craftsmanship. Porsches tend to be extremely reliable from ratings, and when talking to owners. Meanwhile I have many friends that claim problems with their Mercedes, from a 2004 SL55 to a 2008 S550 (which has had 4 warranty repairs in 20,000 miles), to a 2008 GL450 (which they are now in a pending lemon law lawsuit against). Why do you find this acceptable? Even most of the people posting in this post, have referenced problems. There are very few people here that have said, my car has worked perfectly from day one.
So everyone, I dropped off the Mercedes an hour ago, which means, I am done with this whole mess. Good luck with it, and I hope you don't experience the same problems I had or in your future car purchases. If you ever want to "downgrade" to a brand new, GTR, IS-F, or trade to a reliable SUV, you will understand after you get past this car, just how important reliability is, even when tied to performance. Mercedes has started to notice it, and eventually you will follow. Either that or you are so loaded, you just keep buying new ones when the old one breaks. A friend of mine said it best, "the Europeans believe when it breaks, replace the car, the Japanese believe when it breaks, if and when it does, you fix it, and the Americans don't know if it is broken or if it was just designed that way."

Good night and good luck!
Old 03-15-2010, 12:29 AM

CLS55 & CL CK60
i have had a few AMGs and never had problems like you discussed. Could just be a lemon or bad luck.

FWIW - there isnt a single car manuf on the road who doesnt have someone who has had your same experiences or worse hating them...
Old 03-15-2010, 04:09 AM

2004 Mercedes Benz E55
Originally Posted by 06E55
5k a year in insurance? How many insurance points do you have? The insurance for my E55 is less than 1k a year! And that is with 300/900/300 and $0 detuctible for both comprehensive and collision!!! But anyway, A,B, C-ya!!!
North Carolina must be pretty uninhabited--I have a perfect driving record, and 37 (a very young-looking 37 I might add), and it costs me a whole lot more than that in So Cal!!
Old 03-15-2010, 04:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
What I am saying with the rims is that yes, it is on the driver to avoid, however if it happens a somewhat sturdy rim is reasonable. I see it as a quality issue, keep in mind tires were all-seasons, not sport tires. You should be able to take a hit once in a while. Make a rim sturdy enough to eat a pot hole once in a while. It is a heavy car, a sedan, and not every road you take it on will be perfect, especially here in the US.
fyi, the E63 wheels are made by Fuchs. They happen to be some of the best OEM rims found on cars these days. When I stopped into Wheel Enhancement in Culver City with my Porsche (http://www.wheelenhancement.com/index.php) I asked about maybe getting new wheels for the E63. They actually talked me out of it because they felt the OEM Fuchs are some of the best. We have major potholes in LA, too. My wheels have done admirably. Maybe it's because I keep the tires inflated properly and take care of the car. btw, performance tires (that come on the car) have stiffer sidewalls.

Keys: I know it was only $5 (actually free), but it is all about hassle, not cost.
Yeah, big time hassle. Like you were left on the side of the road and had to call for a tow. Blame MB for buying cheap batteries with a short shelf life. btw, there are all kinds of little hassles in life. Be sure to blame somebody so you don't feel that you're being picked on by God.

Headlamp: Nothing hit the headlamp, noticed flickering, assembly replaced, noticed flickering again after fixing, replaced again, finally fixed flickering, then they forgot to reprogram the light. It is a share of Mercedes and Dealer fault, but the dealer represents Mercedes, so I consider it more of a flaw with Mercedes.
The dealer is independent unless you went to a Daimler AG owned facility. As with any product there are good dealers and no so good dealers. There are good dealers having a bad day and bad dealers having a good day. Like Daimler AG, the dealers hire people who sometimes aren't doing their job 100%. It happens. I'm sure you've fu**ed up plenty of times. Nonetheless, the headlamp was fixed. Again, sh*t happens. Maybe God does actually hate you.

Keyless Go: To say when it works its awesome is not a valid excuse. There are plenty of cars that have extremely similar technology (Lexus, Acura, BMW), and they work just fine. It isn't new technology get it right.
They fail on other cars too. It's clear that you've never owned a BMW. Other things fail on other cars that don't fail on MBs. It's obvious that God not only hates you but hated your car, too.

Air Intake: I did not play with it at all, I noticed it when a friend asked to pop the hood.
It's good that your friend asked to pop the hood. Now you know where the hood latch is located. Most of us pop our hoods and check our oil and look around to see that everything is intact. It is a machine, btw. And oil is a substance that will be used by engines; you were surprised that a big displacement 6.2 liter motor likes oil. You should meet my Porsche someday. God designed that car to drink oil like a good Irishman drinks beer.

I know I am posting this on a fanboy forum, and wasn't expecting a well reception, however future buyers may actually hear something unbiased for once. Call my arguments irrational or crazy, call me poor, call me whatever you want, but what it all comes down to is hassle. Whether it is a broken key, or shabby repair, it is hassle. I don't blame the insurance on Mercedes, that is on me, but it all goes into cost of ownership versus hassle.
I'm sorry, but it's apparent that God hates you.

Why are you so willing to defend something that clearly doesn't show quality or well thought out planning? We pay a premium for the car, you should expect not only performance but true craftsmanship. Porsches tend to be extremely reliable from ratings, and when talking to owners.
Porsches? Um, how many Porsches are built in relation to MBs? How many are on the road in comparison to MBs? And can you say RMS? Can you say 996 imploding motors? Can you say outlandish repair expense. Trust me, I'm a Porsche owner.

You are paying a premium and you are getting expensive R+D and a very sophisticated automobile. You aren't getting craftsmanship. Buy a RR if you want craftsmanship. These cars are built on an assembly line by autoworkers. Sh*t happens. But the bottom line is that the issues you've complained about are pretty minor and happen to all cars. And they were fixed. You're just a young'un and have little real world experience. Sh*t will happen to your Japanese appliance car, too. And the dealer will p*ss you off, too. And it clearly happens to you more than us because God hates you. I'm sorry about that and MB can't do anything about it.

Go out and buy a super expensive exotic. Not a common MB. Then you can do some real complaining.

You know, the paradox is that there are millions of MBs out there on the roads of the world. And they keep selling them. Daimler AG is a huge auto manufacturer. They build cars, buses, trucks. Is everybody else in the world a bunch of fools being duped by a giant corporation bent on ripping everybody off and then closing shop and moving to the Caribbean?
Why do these cars even sell in the first place? Is it all some big scheme? I guess you are the true enlightened one and we are in the dark. Only lemmings buy MBs.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 Bentley Continental Supersports Convertible, 2014 Kia Sorento SXL AWD
I would hate to see what happens if he buys a 250k Ferrari or Lambo!!! Let's see how much those big V-12s eat oil. Let's talk about reliability then!!!
Old 03-15-2010, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
211-55
Since your E63 is a '07, here's a report from an '08 EX35 owner (1 year newer than the E):

Quote, originally posted by NJ_EX35 »
Until last week everything was fine... then the following happened:
1. steering wheel adjustment goes down only, when it attempts to go up it makes a horrible crunching noise... now my driving position stinks!
2. the washer fluid jets are not hitting the windshield on the passenger side, probably an easy adjustment I have a feeling it moved when I was cleaning snow off my car, but geez its that sensitive?
3. rear hatch shocks seem to be failing, it use to shoot up now i have to push it up
4. roof rack cross rails the paint started peeling off
5. i have a 2008 and the battery in my key fob is already failing... i have had plenty of cars and the battery always lasted a lot longer
6. now when i make a right hand turn at low speeds i get a weird rubbing sensation in the wheels
i still love the car, but imagine all this happening out of warranty i can cover #2 and #3 on my own... but this is pretty ridiculous... car drives like a champ but wouldnt want it outside the warranty period!

Enjoy your Infiniti or Kia Rio. Oh, and then there's this:

http://www.truedelta.com/car-reliabi...06&email=Guest
Old 03-15-2010, 11:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by cahiil55k
Since your E63 is a '07, here's a report from an '08 EX35 owner (1 year newer than the E):

Quote, originally posted by NJ_EX35 »
Until last week everything was fine... then the following happened:
1. steering wheel adjustment goes down only, when it attempts to go up it makes a horrible crunching noise... now my driving position stinks!
2. the washer fluid jets are not hitting the windshield on the passenger side, probably an easy adjustment I have a feeling it moved when I was cleaning snow off my car, but geez its that sensitive?
3. rear hatch shocks seem to be failing, it use to shoot up now i have to push it up
4. roof rack cross rails the paint started peeling off
5. i have a 2008 and the battery in my key fob is already failing... i have had plenty of cars and the battery always lasted a lot longer
6. now when i make a right hand turn at low speeds i get a weird rubbing sensation in the wheels
i still love the car, but imagine all this happening out of warranty i can cover #2 and #3 on my own... but this is pretty ridiculous... car drives like a champ but wouldnt want it outside the warranty period!

Enjoy your Infiniti or Kia Rio. Oh, and then there's this:

http://www.truedelta.com/car-reliabi...06&email=Guest
Classic!
Old 03-15-2010, 12:40 PM

His wife crazy
Originally Posted by REALA2R
North Carolina must be pretty uninhabited--I have a perfect driving record, and 37 (a very young-looking 37 I might add), and it costs me a whole lot more than that in So Cal!!
Nope, we just have better drivers

I pay $742 a year with Geico, for 100/300/100 and a $250 deductible.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by X2Board
Nope, we just have better drivers

I pay $742 a year with Geico, for 100/300/100 and a $250 deductible.
I pay $560 yr. here in Ohio same coverage!
Old 03-15-2010, 12:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 559 Likes on 369 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Originally Posted by C280 Sport
Some of things in this story seem far fetched here.
They certainly do.

The eye of Cylinder Head is upon this thread....
Old 03-15-2010, 07:11 PM

E63, S550
Originally Posted by 220S
I love your post

I suppose he hasn't been to confession in a while, hence God cursing his MB

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.

Quick Reply: Off to more reliable pastures! Bye E63