W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check engine light, loss of power..bad gas?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 10:34 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mercedes S55 AMG
Check engine light, loss of power..bad gas?

So yesterday I went to some gas station in NJ, and put in some gas. I always put 93, but in NJ they put it for you, so it is possible the guy put in 87 or 89, and not 93 if he misheard me.

Anyway, I'm driving a few hours later, and I'm accelerating here and there in the usual AMG fashion. ( )

So..after I accelerated on the highway from maybe 40mph to 65mph with the kickdown, I noticed something very odd. I had no more power from the accelerator pedal. It didn't stall and was still going, but wouldn't accelerate more. So I pull over at an exit, and turn the car off, put it in park, and start again. OK, so now it's accelerating again, but it's still a bit funny. So I give it a little push...and the check engine light comes on. The Throttle response is much worse.

I think to myself, hm - what could it be? Then I remember reading about bad gas and how it can cause bad performance or bad throttle response. I pull into a gas station that I know and put in some 93. The check engine light immediately turned off, and the car was back to normal throttle response.

That's strange - so was it really just bad gas that caused this? The check engine light went out immediately after I put 93 gas in, without me even driving it. Is it just bad gas, or could I have something that is failing, like the MAF sensor, or something like that?

Car has 124k miles for reference. Thanks!
Old 03-18-2010, 10:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'13 GT-R AMS Alpha 9+, CLA45, E55
Either that or your cap wasn't completely tight. Excess vacuum can throw a CEL and pull timing or what not to save your motor.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:13 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Originally Posted by tgoss
Either that or your cap wasn't completely tight. Excess vacuum can throw a CEL and pull timing or what not to save your motor.
+1. Read the codes to see if you have any stored codes to be safe
Old 03-18-2010, 04:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Did you recently purchase a new tune?
Old 03-18-2010, 04:51 PM

Mercedes S55 AMG
Heh, no new tune it's stock. But now that you mention it...maybe I need to do that too.

If a CEL light goes off, is it possible that there are stored codes that still may indicate some issue in the car even if it is no longer on?
Old 03-18-2010, 10:06 PM

Mercedes S55 AMG
Update: Actually I was wrong, I test drove the car more and here is what I am getting:

Check engine light is off, but something is really strange. When on park, the car revs higher pitched than normal, like it's strained. When you turn it on, it's the same thing..higher pitched whine that wasn't there before.

When driving, low rpms it is OK, but there is no power really, like if I accelerate. I checked with a scanner, and I got these codes:

P0700 - (Transmission control module, says TCM has detected emissions related fault)
P0120 - Throttle position sensor
P0500 Vehicle speed sensor - I recently had the ABS speed sensor for the right wheel changed, is this possibly it and the code was just not reset? So this code probably isn't it.

So is the throttle position sensor the most likely cause? It's really strange, anyone had these problems before?
Old 03-18-2010, 10:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Originally Posted by rondocap
Update: Actually I was wrong, I test drove the car more and here is what I am getting:

Check engine light is off, but something is really strange. When on park, the car revs higher pitched than normal, like it's strained. When you turn it on, it's the same thing..higher pitched whine that wasn't there before.

When driving, low rpms it is OK, but there is no power really, like if I accelerate. I checked with a scanner, and I got these codes:

P0700 - (Transmission control module, says TCM has detected emissions related fault)
P0120 - Throttle position sensor
P0500 Vehicle speed sensor - I recently had the ABS speed sensor for the right wheel changed, is this possibly it and the code was just not reset? So this code probably isn't it.

So is the throttle position sensor the most likely cause? It's really strange, anyone had these problems before?
Check with the dealership, I believe that there was a campaign for the throttle position sensor a few years back. I had a 2001 S55 and I think I took it in for something like that. Good Luck
Old 03-18-2010, 11:19 PM

Audi s6
What IC pump do you have and when was the last time you changed it? I would say also you might want to disconnect you battery for 45 min's to see if that helps with your TCU.
Seems like power related issues stem to shut down of supercharger or overheating usually but the check engine lights probably mean that your local dealer is going to have to check it for you....Good luck!
Old 03-19-2010, 11:26 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

These cars don't have MAF sensors- speed density=IAT and MAP sensor.

There isn't a throttle position sensor per-se- these throttles use a feedback circuit within the throttle actuator to determine position. Sounds like it's time for a $1000 throttle slide to me- it's not a super common failure, but it does happen.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:21 PM

2003 s55 amg
Hey Cory I had the exact same problem as rondo, And when I called the dealership they said the 03 s55's don't have the throttle position sensors like u said, they said they have electric gas actuator but that's 1270$ and I don't have warranty... Do you think there's a cheaper way or maybe something I can do on my own?
Old 10-08-2012, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
2007 SL55 AMG
there's a hose underneath your throttle body that may have come loose.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:05 PM

2003 s55 amg
sorry im kind of a noob with benzes but where is the throttle body located ? thanks
Old 10-08-2012, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
2007 SL55 AMG
its what the airbox Y pipe connects to at the center at the very back of the engine. remove the airboxes and y pipe for better access to take a good hard look underneath the throttle body. You may have to stick your hand in there and feel around.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:50 AM

2007 E63 AMG
Rondo- I know exactly what your issue is. This was happening on mine just two months ago. Exact same symptoms. whats essentially happening is your transmission is staying in overdrive and not shifting down, which is why you have no power but the car still moves. I took it to the dealer and they advised that I had a bad transmission plate. They'll have to flush the transmission and do some recalibration as well. The whole job is about $1700 unfortunately.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
(SOLD) 05 E55 Estate. 11 Golf TDi
I heart 2 year old threads. That is all. Carry on.