Sponsored by:

splitting the IC system. need some help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 10:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55 & CL CK60
splitting the IC system. need some help

Hi all. I am in the process of splitting my IC system with a rear mounted tank but i am running into a snag. I ordered a meziere pump to replace the stock pump up front but others have told me, and i am inclined to believe, it wont be the right amount of flow. it is rated at 20 gal/m without restrictions BUT the inlet and outlet are being reduced to 3/4" so it wont quite be 20 gal/m due to restriction.

i cant run the pump in conjunction with the stock bosch pump because it is a positive displacement pump while the meziere is centrifugal so they wont compliment each other (or at least i am told). i was considering a second meziere pump BUT i am concerned it may be too much flow. i know some others on the board have run this setup with 2 CM30's but not real sure of their results.

bottom line - has anybody yet proven what works best for this split setup? am i better off with perhaps 2 stock bosch pumps (one front and one rear), 2 meziere pumps (front & rear) or 2 CM30's (front & rear)?

thanks!

Last edited by beauphus; 03-19-2010 at 11:02 PM.
Old 03-20-2010, 12:35 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
Meziere in the front and cm30 or stock updated version of the bosch pump in the back. BTW i have a updated version bosch pump if you are interested.
Old 03-20-2010, 12:41 AM

CLS55 & CL CK60
Originally Posted by shardul
Meziere in the front and cm30 or stock updated version of the bosch pump in the back. BTW i have a updated version bosch pump if you are interested.

i was under the impression that i couldnt put a meziere (centrifugal) in circuit with the newer bosch (positive displacement) because of the difference in how they pump. i could run 2 newer style bosch pumps perhaps. how much?
Old 03-20-2010, 10:40 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally Posted by beauphus
i was under the impression that i couldnt put a meziere (centrifugal) in circuit with the newer bosch (positive displacement) because of the difference in how they pump. i could run 2 newer style bosch pumps perhaps. how much?
IDK make me a offer, it is just sitting in the garage.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55 AMG
Hey Aaron, as you know I replaced my 2 CM30's with the Meziere pump and the CM30's in series out performed the single Meziere. I haven't tried a flow test yet but just going by visual, feel, and IAT's it was no contest. We had my car with the single Meziere next to another car with 2 CM30's and the CM30's looked to be flowing way much more volume. I honestly believe that asking one single pump to perform this task is way too much. Keep in mind that I run a rear reservoir with the Meziere pump mounted in the trunk.

I've been contemplating on what to do next, go back to the 2 CM30's or just purchase another Meziere??? In short I'm in the same boat as you but with 2 CM30's and 1 Meziere .
Old 03-20-2010, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I have the Mezeire pump sitting on my garage..

anybody have some pics on the install for the pump?

I can't picture how it would be mounted vertically... or if I should look into a mounting plate...
Old 03-20-2010, 02:19 PM

CLS55 & CL CK60
Originally Posted by bassn_07
Hey Aaron, as you know I replaced my 2 CM30's with the Meziere pump and the CM30's in series out performed the single Meziere. I haven't tried a flow test yet but just going by visual, feel, and IAT's it was no contest. We had my car with the single Meziere next to another car with 2 CM30's and the CM30's looked to be flowing way much more volume. I honestly believe that asking one single pump to perform this task is way too much. Keep in mind that I run a rear reservoir with the Meziere pump mounted in the trunk.

I've been contemplating on what to do next, go back to the 2 CM30's or just purchase another Meziere??? In short I'm in the same boat as you but with 2 CM30's and 1 Meziere .
u think 2 mezieres would be too much? reason i would rather stay with meziere is i have heard from many that the reliability of meziere is far superior to the johnson cm30. i personally think a dual pump system just makes more sense no matter what - especially considering if one goes out at least you still have some sort of flow.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:35 PM

2005 S55 1982 300dt
As far as series pumps go, remember, 2 pumps in series = same gpm, twice the "head". 2 pumps in parallel produce the same "head", twice the gpm. With series pumps you gain a failsafe-if one fails you still have the other pumping, but little else. Normally you increase gpm which equates to increasing cooling by increasing the pipe diameter and providing a suitable pump. When you can't increase the diameter like in this intercooler circuit, cooling improvements come with splitting the system, increasing overall fluid supply (trunk mount res,), improved H/E, and providing a suitable pump. When it comes to the pump, you might as well be talking red one or green one, because all the candidates in the known group of pumps accomplish the task. The little guys are rated 8-9 gpm, the big guys 15-17 gpm, but when any are placed in the infamous circuit, they all produce the same gpm result within about 10%. Even though I have a new cm90 that cost me $375.00 sitting on my bench, I'm beginning to think I'll switch from my currently pumping cm30 to the new Bosch because it's basically winning all the tests I've been putting these pumps through. Any really, none of them are going to break the bank when it comes to amp draw. So flip a coin, and hope it comes up bosch.
Old 03-20-2010, 03:30 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally Posted by TopGun32
I have the Mezeire pump sitting on my garage..

anybody have some pics on the install for the pump?

I can't picture how it would be mounted vertically... or if I should look into a mounting plate...
i think a local member is making a bracket for the meziere, i will send you some pics once it is done.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:21 PM

Audi s6
Zip tied that **** meziere pump and is is more than sufficient for want I need. Will spilt one day but not probls yet
Old 03-21-2010, 09:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
if anyone wants to sell their meziere pm me
Old 03-22-2010, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by reitmeid
As far as series pumps go, remember, 2 pumps in series = same gpm, twice the "head". 2 pumps in parallel produce the same "head", twice the gpm. With series pumps you gain a failsafe-if one fails you still have the other pumping, but little else. Normally you increase gpm which equates to increasing cooling by increasing the pipe diameter and providing a suitable pump. When you can't increase the diameter like in this intercooler circuit, cooling improvements come with splitting the system, increasing overall fluid supply (trunk mount res,), improved H/E, and providing a suitable pump. When it comes to the pump, you might as well be talking red one or green one, because all the candidates in the known group of pumps accomplish the task. The little guys are rated 8-9 gpm, the big guys 15-17 gpm, but when any are placed in the infamous circuit, they all produce the same gpm result within about 10%. Even though I have a new cm90 that cost me $375.00 sitting on my bench, I'm beginning to think I'll switch from my currently pumping cm30 to the new Bosch because it's basically winning all the tests I've been putting these pumps through. Any really, none of them are going to break the bank when it comes to amp draw. So flip a coin, and hope it comes up bosch.
Thanks Dave for the post...

quick question.. in my case.. I'm not looking for lower temps.. i'm looking for to reduce the recovery time.

Gallons per minute are within 10% between stock and CM90? wow..

Just tells me that if it takes me 30 seconds to recover from a full boost WOT run to normal IAT temps.. I'll be reducing 3 seconds if I go with the Mezeire pump over the CM30?

Before splitting the system.. the recovery was closer to 1 minute from spike to normal IAT cruising tempts.

I'm still planning to go with the Mezeire pump.. should I lower my expectations for the recovery time?

-Joe
Old 03-22-2010, 10:54 PM

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts
'18 AMG GTR, '04 CL55, '04 E55, '03 CLK500, '01 E55,94 E500, '91 190E 2.5-16 EVOII, '86 560SL
Is it posible to splitting the IC system, but without the reservoir in the trunk?
Is it posible to install it in the engine compartment?? So it would only needs one Meziere pump?
Old 03-22-2010, 11:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by beauphus
u think 2 mezieres would be too much? reason i would rather stay with meziere is i have heard from many that the reliability of meziere is far superior to the johnson cm30. i personally think a dual pump system just makes more sense no matter what - especially considering if one goes out at least you still have some sort of flow.
I will most likely go with 2 Mezieres since I already had the plumbing changed to accommodate my rear one. Like I mentioned, the rear reservoir setup is too much for any single pump...IMO. I'll give you a call when I get some logging done with the 2 pump setup.