W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shipping my Car to Europe,what precautions to take?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 12:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
2017 Mercedes Benz E220D/GONE!JUNK!Current GLC Coupe 350d 4 Matic
Shipping my Car to Europe,what precautions to take?

As the title says,i am shipping my car to Europe,and it will be 4 weeks on the ship,before i pick it up,and take it down the Autobahn to the Swiss Alps!
Now what should i look out for when shipping my car,has anyone already done this?I know they told me t make sure there is gas in there.But i'am most concerned about the battery.I know my 7 series has a battery switch in the trunk which was put there just for these reasons,like shipping.It turns off all the electric gadgets that might draw power from the battery.So what about the E55?

TIA!
Old 03-24-2010, 01:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Real Cars
Your car will most likely wind up with some sort of damage... paint scratch, curbed wheel, dent, etc. Sorry, but it's gonna happen.

Take EVERY SINGLE THING THAT DETACHES out first. They will steal just about anything. Take your CDs, tape, cables, etc.

Document the car as well as possible condition wise before it's picked up, in case there is SIGNIFICANT damage you have recourse.

Don't worry about the battery, just make sure it's fully charged before shipping.

I'm sorry to scare you, but it's a reality. Hopefully nothing will happen.

-m
Old 03-24-2010, 01:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

///

Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
Your car will most likely wind up with some sort of damage... paint scratch, curbed wheel, dent, etc. Sorry, but it's gonna happen.

Take EVERY SINGLE THING THAT DETACHES out first. They will steal just about anything. Take your CDs, tape, cables, etc.

Document the car as well as possible condition wise before it's picked up, in case there is SIGNIFICANT damage you have recourse.

Don't worry about the battery, just make sure it's fully charged before shipping.

I'm sorry to scare you, but it's a reality. Hopefully nothing will happen.

-m

Marcus,tell me where you are at exactly this moment so i can come over there and hit you over the head

I have organized a Container,it's not going on a Ro-Ro,in the Container will only be my Car and a Bike,that's it.

I will listen to you and of course remove all the stuff,all doe i wanted to load it up with some of my belongings.Funny that i was told by the shipping company,i know this guys personally that its ok to put stuff inside of car,and to only remove plates,because they will steal them.
Ehhh we shall see.
At least one thing is for sure,the drive through Germany and Switzerland will be fun.

My Car is at the dealer as we speak,getting a nice little re-juvenation,and an inspection of anything and everything that should be replaced.

My Air Suspension was replaced last year,all 4 corners,and the IC was replaced,the SC belt and pulley also.

The Tech told me today that the tranny is solid.

Is there anything else i should do before shipping it out?

I forgot to mention.....

CF Front Lip and rear diffuser are on the way,CF Mirrors,black grill,LED daytime running bulbs,Exhaust system,20" Wheels,07 and up tail lights,flat hood emblem etc....
Old 03-24-2010, 01:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
What company are you using? I'm assuming you're going RO/RO? Otherwise the only way to insure no damage is an exclusive container. More expensive than RO/RO or a 40' (with 3-4 other cars in it), but it's the only way to be 100% secure. And it's quicker (usually 2 weeks.)

If I was doing a collectible or exotic, I'd go with exclusive (you have the key to the container and the car) but with an everyday car you just take your chances with RO/RO. As Marcus says be prepared for some possible damage and be sure to take everything out that's not bolted down. Also take detailed pics of everything at the time you turn it over. Photograph the entire car, top to bottom in details.

EDIT: never mind; I see that you just posted with the details......
Old 03-24-2010, 01:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have organized a Container,it's not going on a Ro-Ro,in the Container will only be my Car and a Bike,that's it.

The Company i'am using are people i know personally.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:13 AM

Current: 2004 E55 Sold:350zTT
With the cost you will be incurring, why not just rent a p car for the autobahn? Handles night and day over the AMG
Old 03-24-2010, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
Originally Posted by BelaMeca
Marcus,tell me where you are at exactly this moment so i can come over there and hit you over the head

I will listen to you and of course remove all the stuff,all doe i wanted to load it up with some of my belongings.Funny that i was told by the shipping company,i know this guys personally that its ok to put stuff inside of car,and to only remove plates,because they will steal them.
Ehhh we shall see.
At least one thing is for sure,the drive through Germany and Switzerland will be fun.

My Car is at the dealer as we speak,getting a nice little re-juvenation,and an inspection of anything and everything that should be replaced.

My Air Suspension was replaced last year,all 4 corners,and the IC was replaced,the SC belt and pulley also.

The Tech told me today that the tranny is solid.

Is there anything else i should do before shipping it out?

I forgot to mention.....

CF Front Lip and rear diffuser are on the way,CF Mirrors,black grill,LED daytime running bulbs,Exhaust system,20" Wheels,07 and up tail lights,flat hood emblem etc....
I'm in Chicago, come get me

I was not aware you were going to do a container, you didn't specify that in your original post.

You also did not mention the shipping company were your friends, those kind of details are "important"...

Depending on your port of entry your car still may be subject to random search by port authorities so I personally would not feel comfortable putting bags/etc in there as it not only may increase the chance of the vehicle being searched, it risks the stuff being stolen too. That's my opinion.

-m
Old 03-24-2010, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by pun1sh3rz
With the cost you will be incurring, why not just rent a p car for the autobahn? Handles night and day over the AMG
what???

Did you read my thread at all or are you just looking for attention??
When did i ever ask for help renting a Porsche in Europe?
Old 03-24-2010, 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm in Chicago, come get me

I was not aware you were going to do a container, you didn't specify that in your original post.

You also did not mention the shipping company were your friends, those kind of details are "important"...

Depending on your port of entry your car still may be subject to random search by port authorities so I personally would not feel comfortable putting bags/etc in there as it not only may increase the chance of the vehicle being searched, it risks the stuff being stolen too. That's my opinion.

-m
Ahh Chicago!
So many of my Serbian Friends there they will find you...

But yes i git a Container,and feel pretty good about it.At first i wanted to go with Ro-Ro,but got such a god price on the Container so that will be the route i will be taking.
I agree about the random searches.

Smart Man You Are Frost Marcus.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:32 PM

11 QX56, 09 E63, 00 S2000
I would do like the guys at the track and use blue painters tape in areas that are most likely to get scratched during shipment. Or hell just tape the entire thing up and hope for the best.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes
Ahh Chicago!
So many of my Serbian Friends there they will find you...

But yes i git a Container,and feel pretty good about it.At first i wanted to go with Ro-Ro,but got such a god price on the Container so that will be the route i will be taking.
I agree about the random searches.

Smart Man You Are Frost Marcus.
Picku materinu, he is already gone!
Old 03-24-2010, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by aleksandar1099
Picku materinu, he is already gone!
Hahaha Bravo Lave!

You see Frost!We will make a Snowman out of you
Old 03-24-2010, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
W212 E63
Pazi na carinu da te ne oderu!! Imam decka u Cupriju ko kaze da moze da sredi sve papire! Pozz
Old 03-24-2010, 10:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 E55

-m
I shipped 10 cars to Finland(closest port to the Motherland Russia) from NYC in past 3 years, not a single one had a scratch on it.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Karlson
I shipped 10 cars to Finland(closest port to the Motherland Russia) from NYC in past 3 years, not a single one had a scratch on it.
Which company do you use?
Old 03-25-2010, 05:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 s560 sedan
As the title says,i am shipping my car to Europe,and it will be 4 weeks on the ship,before i pick it up,and take it down the Autobahn to the Swiss Alps!
Now what should i look out for when shipping my car,has anyone already done this?I know they told me t make sure there is gas in there.But i'am most concerned about the battery.I know my 7 series has a battery switch in the trunk which was put there just for these reasons,like shipping.It turns off all the electric gadgets that might draw power from the battery.So what about the E55?

TIA!
rent a cargo container and put it in , i wouldnt leave it on the ships deck
Old 03-25-2010, 05:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i said like 3 times i got a container,it's not a Ro-Ro
Old 03-25-2010, 06:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
I have shipped a few cars to Europe in my day, and I can tell you that "You are doing the right thing by getting a container"

Two cars I shipped to Germany, drive on style, did received some SERIOUS scratches as Marcus eluded to. If you read the documents carefully it will state "Expect some minor scratches" And YES removing everything that is not bolted down, as they certainly will.

In the container, aka all alone, the car arrived PERFECT

By the way, I am also curious about the cost these days. I did mine in the mid 90's and it was 1800-2200 for drive on, and 3500 for a container.

WELL WORTH IT, IMHO.

Good luck
Old 03-25-2010, 06:47 AM
Esh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55
Is the car staying in Europe or are you bringing it back?

Like Marcus said, I would feel uncomfortable putting bags in the car. Very susceptible to a full on "verification of the contents" inside and around/under/on your car. If you need the bags in Europe it may just be the easiest and cost effective solution, but could be a PITA if you get searched hard and ?-marks come up.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 E55
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
By the way, I am also curious about the cost these days. I did mine in the mid 90's and it was 1800-2200 for drive on, and 3500 for a container.

WELL WORTH IT, IMHO.

Good luck
3500 for a container? damn, it is pretty expensive. in 2009 the price was $1800 for container from NYC to Finland plus disembarking fees. to OP: I can't find the company that I used before phone number, but they only ship from NYC, and you are on the wrong coast.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanx Guys.
The Shipping Cost from LA to Bremerhaven Germany is $1200
Old 03-25-2010, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Thanx Guys.
wow $1200 is the full price to ship a car in your own personal container?? I've wanted to do what you're doing and drive my car on the autobahn in it's "home" country...thought it'd be way more expensive than $1200 to do it!
Old 03-25-2010, 07:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Sunir
wow $1200 is the full price to ship a car in your own personal container?? I've wanted to do what you're doing and drive my car on the autobahn in it's "home" country...thought it'd be way more expensive than $1200 to do it!
That is my discounted price.
I know the owners of the Company.If you like i can refer you.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 E55
Thanx Guys.
sounds about right, Bremerhaven is a first stop of all boats from the USA.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
That is my discounted price.
I know the owners of the Company.If you like i can refer you.
thanks for the offer man...don't want to do it now but I may sometime in the future. I'll have to hit you up then...I appreciate your help