W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Money no object, who do you have tune your E55?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 10:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 Weistec 3.0L SC'd C55, 2006 MaxPsi PT6466 Turbo'd M3, 2019 Maserati GTS , 2020Alfa Quadrifoglio
Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
You do know that RENNTech and Kleemann also provide dyno tuning at their facilities, correct? If you can afford it, you can even have them fly out to you and tune your car. I was trying to put together a group here in Chicago a while back to have Cory from Kleemann fly out here to tune some of our cars but it fizzled out.

-m
I talk to Cory and Brandon all the time and I don't think either of them can do hands-on tuning on the road or dyno. They keep telling me that their programmers are in Denmark. I could not even get them to modify my Kleemann tune for larger injectors and fuel pump to replace the stock injectors and their fuel kit (FMU and boost-a-pump).

Powerchip has too much turnover lately and their relationships with some leading tuners has fizzled. Their best programmer left and the west coast rep was also sent packing.

I would put my faith in Renntech as they are the most reliable and stable tuner out there today based on what I heard. They recently added some top tier talent to their team.

I heard that the best MB tuner in the world is an independent guy in Dubai but he's not going to be dyno/road tuning any cars here in the States.

I'm sure Brabus are great tuners but they pretty much stick to their own custom built cars or stock cars but not modded cars with a mix of different brands like many of us here do. I inquired into them doing a custom tune for me and they told me pretty much the same thing.

The other guys either buy the base program from the few genius tuners and tweak the fuel and timing to suit the customer.

Some others get a hold of the MB file interpreter and take a trial-and-error approach to tweaking the stock or a competitor's program.

This is only what I heard from many big name tuners as well as a few small independent tuners who I have bought products/services from or are considering them.

Another great option would be to utilze a signal conditioner device/piggy-back software like the AEM FIC which allows the ECU to control all of vital functions EXCEPT for fuel and ignition/timing. This will allow you to wean yourself from any dependency on any specific programmer or company. You can find AEM programmers anywhere as opposed to a good MB custom tuner who can program at part throttle and on the road too.

Last edited by AMGSC; 03-24-2010 at 10:13 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
This is an easy one for me. Eurocharged! end of statement.

I trusted them on my S600, and I will be using them for all of my other toys. GREAT results, GREAT people, what else is there to say.

ALL tuners do just about the same thing gentlemen. This is NO magic tune by Kleenman, Renntech, or any other tuners. Aka they adjust timing, fuel, torque management, etc. That is ALL ANY tuner can do. So again, It is and always will be Eurocharged for me
Old 03-25-2010, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
This is an easy one for me. Eurocharged! end of statement.

I trusted them on my S600, and I will be using them for all of my other toys. GREAT results, GREAT people, what else is there to say.

ALL tuners do just about the same thing gentlemen. This is NO magic tune by Kleenman, Renntech, or any other tuners. Aka they adjust timing, fuel, torque management, etc. That is ALL ANY tuner can do. So again, It is and always will be Eurocharged for me

http://www.theautoaddiction.com

In the NYC area, these guys have good reputation !!!
Old 03-25-2010, 02:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55, Supercharged Z4 (sold)
I'm with hammer_down. If money wasn't a big concern I'd take it over to Underground Racing and let them work their magic. Of course that involves more then just a simple tune but still, they seem to do terrific work.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Originally Posted by Luke_M
I'm with hammer_down. If money wasn't a big concern I'd take it over to Underground Racing and let them work their magic. Of course that involves more then just a simple tune but still, they seem to do terrific work.
Underground Racing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyj7D1zTSBc
Old 03-25-2010, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by Luke_M
Originally Posted by Hammer Down
Guys I agree 100%

That is IF you want a twin turbo 30+K E55.

But let's get real. That is NOT what the OP had in mind. I could be wrong here, but to the best of my knowledge, NO ONE has sent an AMG to them as of yet

Let us all come back to the real world, and pick a real world tuner.

PS: YES I love what underground racing has done to several Lambo's
Old 03-25-2010, 06:17 PM

E55, Supercharged Z4 (sold)
That guy lives like 45 minutes from me! I haven't met him I'm sure because I would remember lol Awesome Gallardo

Originally Posted by Hammer Down
Old 03-26-2010, 12:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Guys I agree 100%

That is IF you want a twin turbo 30+K E55.

But let's get real. That is NOT what the OP had in mind. I could be wrong here, but to the best of my knowledge, NO ONE has sent an AMG to them as of yet

Let us all come back to the real world, and pick a real world tuner.

PS: YES I love what underground racing has done to several Lambo's
The OP was titled "If money no object who would you have tune your car" So in that case for me personally it would be UGR although I hear what you are saying.

Has anyone ever heard of RDP Motorsports? They produced an E55 with 569wrhp and yes I know that dyno #'s dont mean squat!
Old 03-26-2010, 01:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 E55

ALL tuners do just about the same thing gentlemen. This is NO magic tune by Kleenman, Renntech, or any other tuners. Aka they adjust timing, fuel, torque management, etc.
LOL!!!
Old 03-26-2010, 07:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by Karlson
LOL!!!
Oh please

Do you really think that ANY of them hold the Holy Grail of tunes?

Yes there are slight difference between tunes, aka dyno numbers. But again this is all in how far they go with their settings, aka 20 degree vs 21, etc, etc.

I picked EC because they listen to what I wanted, and did not just give me an off the shelf tune for a ridiculous amount of money like MANY of the so called big boys do.

There is only so much you can do with modifying the software, aka chip mapping. So YEAH, I stand by my original statement as NONE of them are adding a new chip set, additional parameters, or additional outputs.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:55 AM

05 E55t, 07 R63, 04 Mini R53 (SOLD):01 s4 avant st3, 06 q7
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
Ding ding ding!! I would have AMG put in the new V8 turby and she just how high they could tune it. 1000hp being the goal.

Course if money is more of tiny little object. Heard nothing but great stuff about Jeremy so far. Renntech is also getting a bit more aggresive with their tunes and mods. Never would have suggested them in the past but after Benzgals car and couple others, they are finally getting a bit more radical with the tunes.

Jeremy is awesome but so far for me, he is like the Godfather. I keep trying to find him but noone will give me an email or phone number. Jeremy if you are reading this CALL MEEEEEE!!!!!
He was good.. He tuned my ride.

but heard from very very good source..

"Jeremy was doing funny business on the side, therefore no longer with Powerchip"
If you notice.. Travis is no longer there either...
Old 03-26-2010, 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 Weistec 3.0L SC'd C55, 2006 MaxPsi PT6466 Turbo'd M3, 2019 Maserati GTS , 2020Alfa Quadrifoglio
Originally Posted by 55wagon
He was good.. He tuned my ride.

but heard from very very good source..

"Jeremy was doing funny business on the side, therefore no longer with Powerchip"
If you notice.. Travis is no longer there either...
That's what happens when they want to charge $10K for a custom tune. That guy Wayne from Aussieland is a joke and is destroying their business and losing serious ground to Renntech now.

In the meantime, we have their genious tuner who has gone underground and may soon spawn their own tuning company.

PC will probably accuse these guys of stealing their software much like they did with Jessie Dakkus (aka. Speed Innovations/Gintani).

Last edited by AMGSC; 03-26-2010 at 12:27 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Gale Banks Engineering
Old 03-26-2010, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Oh please

Do you really think that ANY of them hold the Holy Grail of tunes?

Yes there are slight difference between tunes, aka dyno numbers. But again this is all in how far they go with their settings, aka 20 degree vs 21, etc, etc.

I picked EC because they listen to what I wanted, and did not just give me an off the shelf tune for a ridiculous amount of money like MANY of the so called big boys do.
There is only so much you can do with modifying the software, aka chip mapping. So YEAH, I stand by my original statement as NONE of them are adding a new chip set, additional parameters, or additional outputs.
MRAMG1 - with your "original statement," you're very specifically honing in on a technical definition of "tune" i.e. software revision. I read the OP's comment to be the more general definition, i.e. hw/sw mods. Don't know which is right; perhaps OP can clarify.

FWIW, you are also obviously bringing money into the equation, which the OP clearly requested be left out of the variables in this discussion (consider it an academic exercise). To be clear, if someone else was footing the bill, you wouldn't elect the keys to the fully-tuned Brabus E55, and would instead choose the Eurocharged one?
Old 03-26-2010, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
MRAMG1 - with your "original statement," you're very specifically honing in on a technical definition of "tune" i.e. software revision. I read the OP's comment to be the more general definition, i.e. hw/sw mods. Don't know which is right; perhaps OP can clarify.

FWIW, you are also obviously bringing money into the equation, which the OP clearly requested be left out of the variables in this discussion (consider it an academic exercise). To be clear, if someone else was footing the bill, you wouldn't elect the keys to the fully-tuned Brabus E55, and would instead choose the Eurocharged one?
My friend, ALL tunes are a simple software revision. THAT IS my point. None of them take into effect ANY new parameters, or utilize any new sensors, or ANY new outputs. It is a re map ONLY.

You are correct that I was insinuating money, and I still do. WHY, because the High dollar tunes are in NO way shape or form any better. Track results from MANY of the members here prove this time and time again.

Why throw your money away for the same, albeit VERY slightly different product, IMHO.

And YES, I would gladly take a fully tuned Brabus for free. But guess what I would do with it the very next day

I guess I work too hard for my money and NEVER in my life would I pay Renteck $5400 for an off the shelf tune on my car. Even IF it was better, which I HIGHLY doubt as mine was a custom Dyno tune, I still would keep my money for other goodies

Oh well, I guess I either don't make enough money to think of these things, or I still care too much about it

Last edited by MRAMG1; 03-27-2010 at 07:21 AM.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
e55 w/LET TUNE Drinks: vodka STRAIGHT Wheels: 19" HRE 547r Mods:FF headers ASP Pulley
id do it myself