W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Lighter lugs?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55 AMG --old cars -- E39 M5, 2.7tt Audi S4, E36 M3 **Ducati 996, 748
Lighter lugs?

There should be some out there somewhere -- I figure with people spending so much money to get 2 piece rotors because they save weight -- why not get some lighter lugs too??

Any ideas?
Old 04-17-2010, 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG 030
I dont think it would make enough of a difference on are big pigs. Now on a challenge Sradale it does cause its a very light car to start with.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:39 PM

2003 E55 AMG
my buddy in japan makes titanium lugnuts to drop rotational. i dont know what the safety of using actual bolts would be ? i can ask him....he is here until monday then he flies back to japan.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 Silver E55
Titanium is always better than steel but cost 3 x or more. agree with others. cheapest just to loose 5-10 lbs unless you can knock off 30-50lb or more its not going to make any difference. if you want a faster 1/4 mile , then practice your launch if you hit 1.8 1.7 60 fts your home free on street tires. then here we are adding crap to our cars which generally slow them down. stereo, bigger rims/tires, full size spare, moocher friends who want to ride along and see you race but you lose by 1/2 car cause they had to have the full meal deal with a shake.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:13 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
Well, titanium (and aluminum) is lighter, but it's got a shorter stress life than class 10.9 steel. Plus it's nearly impossible to find a ball seat titanium wheel bolt with the correct dimensions without them being custom made (think +$1k for a set of bolts). On top of that, lug bolts are close to the center hub, making the weight difference negligible as far as how much difference it makes. A pound close to the center of the wheel isn't as important as a pound on the outside of a wheel. It would be much easier, practical and advantageous to get lighter wheels, tires, and brake rotors.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:29 AM

2003 E55 AMG
agreed...the all the ones my buddy makes are custom....he can make the rotors as well....but still pricey!!!! Trust me I went down this road with him already....lol....my other friend has a twin turbo viper he is building. He is running the titanium lugnuts...I cant rememebr how much they figured it out to drop on rotational mass...but it was a significant amount....then again his car was pullin 9s with a supercharger....bored and TT....oh man...he is squeezin every weight drop off to get her even more nasty!
Old 04-18-2010, 02:38 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
Originally Posted by pimpjuice
agreed...the all the ones my buddy makes are custom....he can make the rotors as well....but still pricey!!!! Trust me I went down this road with him already....lol....my other friend has a twin turbo viper he is building. He is running the titanium lugnuts...I cant rememebr how much they figured it out to drop on rotational mass...but it was a significant amount....then again his car was pullin 9s with a supercharger....bored and TT....oh man...he is squeezin every weight drop off to get her even more nasty!
yeah. I stil wouldn't put a titanium wheel bolt on a street car. A class 10.9 steel is very strong in a very wide variety of ways and will keep it's strength over a very long time. Even only the highest grades of stainless steel are close to matching this type of strength rating. Titanium alloys are just not as good in some metrics, and I would be wary of them due to pot holes and all kinds of other stuff daily drivers go through. Lug NUTS are a different story, they are only fasteners and won't have to put up with the same shear forces a bolt would. Aluminum is just too weak, I would absolutely not run an aluminum lug bolt, ever.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:09 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

We have been looking into several lug bolt and lug nut options. Not for the weight but rather for the look when you put aftermarket wheels on the car. We have found many, many options in different colors, styles, and locks. Along with everything we have found when we were looking is lightweight versions as well. We will be introducing them soon on our website when I get all the pricing and availability finalized.

We are going to make a large display of these in our showroom because I know that many people that decide to change there wheels are going to realize how these lug bolts and nuts are going to further change the look of the wheels on their cars.

I will keep you up to date as this develops further but I should have all the information available in about a week. I will post a link once I have it done.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:27 PM
DKM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2021 G63, 2021 RS6, 2021 Ducati Panigale SP, 2022 Ford F450
pogipolini..or something like that makes titanium lugbolts. Do a google search