Sponsored by:

F$#%in' Parking Block Rebar!!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 E55 Blaq on Blaq
F$#%in' Parking Block Rebar!!!!!

Really? REALLY?!? How much extra time would it have taken to make those rebar flush with the parking block? Wasn't paying too much attention to the parking block. Have overestimated stopping distance a hundred times. This time (unbeknownst to me), the bumper rides up & over rebar that's sticking up about 4" on the driver's side out of the parking block. As I gingerly reverse over the block (while talking to my brother), I hear this God awful wrenching noise and "POP!" Oh well, live and learn.
Found a new bumper on ebay. Having the new bumper & DCTMotorsports lip, HID Kit ( hi lo beams & fogs), aux headlight & side marker led's AND PERFORMANCE ECU TUNE done tomorrow by none other than
those bada$$es at Elite Performance Ltd.
Hopefully, we'll be able to get it all done tomorrow so's I can post pics of all my new mods and give you guys some real time butt dyno comparisons before & after the tune. Stay tuned ladies & gents.
Attached Thumbnails F$#%in' Parking Block Rebar!!!!!-img_0285.jpg   F$#%in' Parking Block Rebar!!!!!-img_0286.jpg   F$#%in' Parking Block Rebar!!!!!-img_0289.jpg   F$#%in' Parking Block Rebar!!!!!-img_0291.jpg   F$#%in' Parking Block Rebar!!!!!-img_0292.jpg  

Last edited by GedaBlaq; 04-23-2010 at 03:04 PM.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'13 GT-R AMS Alpha 9+, CLA45, E55
Oh good god!!! Hopefully as is well and back to normal tomorrow!

Let us know how the tune and bumper come out.

If it makes you feel any better it's snowing a ****ing blizzard here in colorado
Old 04-23-2010, 03:36 PM

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
2003 E55 AMG; 2013 GL550 4Matic; 2003 CL600
Ouch, sorry! I once drove over one of those by accident, thankfully no rebar and it was all OK.

On the driver side, take the screw out of the metal clip which connects the bumper cover and fender and take that clip out. When you re-align them you should be able to slide the clip back on and replace the screw.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 W211 E55K, GL550
That sucks i my self put a front carbon lip on and now catch my self parking about 2 feet from any parking spot lol. Hope it all works out for you, i c your in chicago but i never heard of Elite perfermance ltd were are they located?
Old 04-23-2010, 04:35 PM
LZH
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Sorry this happened to you but would it really have been so hard to NOT pull forward those extra 5 inches to get right up on the parking block ???? Sorry, but I see people doing this all the time tearing up their bumper...for what ????? A couple extra inches ??? Not worth it and obviously you learned your lesson...I don't get anywhere NEAR those damn things.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:20 PM

06 E55 Blaq on Blaq
Originally Posted by mekantor
Ouch, sorry! I once drove over one of those by accident, thankfully no rebar and it was all OK.

On the driver side, take the screw out of the metal clip which connects the bumper cover and fender and take that clip out. When you re-align them you should be able to slide the clip back on and replace the screw.
I'm glad you were OK as well. Wouldn't wish this on anyone. And thank you for the tech advice, will do.

Originally Posted by bnzuovr
That sucks i my self put a front carbon lip on and now catch my self parking about 2 feet from any parking spot lol. Hope it all works out for you, i c your in chicago but i never heard of Elite perfermance ltd were are they located?
I will definitely be doing the same from now on. The guys @ Elite Performance Ltd. would really like to keep things like location and identities secret squirrel for now. They're working on a few really high profile cars right now and would like to get a few more concrete horses in their stable, so to speak, before going full fledged public. I was just really blessed to happen to run into these guys while I was getting my car STAR lowered. We did a little politicking, traded numbers and BAM! I was chosen to be one of their performance tunes/ testimonials. BELIEVE ME, THEY KNOW THEIR S**T! They will probably be ready to go public by the summer. Until then,.........we wait.

Originally Posted by LZH
Sorry this happened to you but would it really have been so hard to NOT pull forward those extra 5 inches to get right up on the parking block ???? Sorry, but I see people doing this all the time tearing up their bumper...for what ????? A couple extra inches ??? Not worth it and obviously you learned your lesson...I don't get anywhere NEAR those damn things.
Normally, I would come back with a snappy retort to a comment like this one, especially after admitting my idiocy in my original post. However, when you're, you're right. And you sir, are correct.

Originally Posted by tgoss
Oh good god!!! Hopefully as is well and back to normal tomorrow!

Let us know how the tune and bumper come out.

If it makes you feel any better it's snowing a ****ing blizzard here in colorado
Thank you for the sympathetic nod and well wishes. I'm sure all will be right with the Beast soon. Be careful in all that snow. Make sure the Beast is sure footed.

Last edited by GedaBlaq; 04-23-2010 at 05:22 PM.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 W211 E55K, GL550
Cool man good luck with everything. I c all these chicago guys on here but yet we all havent even meet up for like a meet or anything. We need to do something like that once the weather gets decent?
Old 04-23-2010, 07:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Sorry to hear that bro, but no worries, looks like you're on route for a fast recovery

Last edited by MB_Forever; 04-23-2010 at 10:18 PM.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55, 1997 E320 "Sold"
Damn dude, sorry. Parking close to the curb is an art, and I certainly am not good at art. Anyways, if you are buying a new cover might as well do the 63 conversion!
Old 04-23-2010, 07:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

cornfed gtr and m3
That just hurts to look at. Sorry brotha. But you will be back in business in no time. Interested to hear how your tune turns out.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:38 PM

CLS55
that hurts me! sucks man
Old 04-23-2010, 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
E55 w/ goods, Z32 Project underway
Very sorry to see, but am SO RELIEVED I am not the only one that goes through this %^&*( from time to time. As much as I strive or perfection, there are still times I park the bumper over them.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
Sorry to hear. When I was gone to Poland for 2 weeks with the Marine Corps. my mom took my car out to get groceries and that is how she DESTROYED my front bumper along with the WALD lip at the time. Ended up movin back to the AMG bumper and soon after bought the Euroteck CF lip to go along with it.

I hope everything werks out for you!
Old 04-23-2010, 10:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
I wish Mercedes upgraded their parktronic option to include sensing very low objects like this or a camera maybe to display lower than bumper level view on the nav screen or any other way to help avoid this in the future. You would think many people have damaged their bumpers before
Old 04-24-2010, 12:03 AM

E CLASS
Originally Posted by mikey33
Anyways, if you are buying a new cover might as well do the 63 conversion!
+1 ....this sucks...but it is the perfect time to do a 63 bumper conversion if you're into that...

GL
Old 04-24-2010, 12:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts
E55 2006 / CLS55 / S450 / Jag XKR2011
Oh man.... sorry to see your car like this. I bought the CF front lip and one of the reason havent install it yet because of afraid of parking. Even with Parking sensor, got to be careful.....
Old 04-24-2010, 08:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 514 Likes on 431 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
I know exactly where you coming from, I had this happen to me a few years ago, when I had my C230. It happened at work, and I was ******* pissed. I had the building maintenance guys pound that POS rebar into the concrete parking block. So this wouldn't happen to someone else. Now I avoid these things, I check first before pulling in.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
Sorry to hear about this my friend...

-m
Old 04-26-2010, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
GLE 63S
OUCH!

I try and park next to shiney cars so I can see my refelction and gauge how far I'm from the concrete block.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
V12TT
Damn sorry to hear about that. Take the bumper off and just reattach it. As for the crack can't you just fill it and touch it up? Anyway all the best GL
Originally Posted by grantwoodtx
OUCH!

I try and park next to shiney cars so I can see my refelction and gauge how far I'm from the concrete block.
LOL same!
Old 04-27-2010, 09:03 AM

06 E55 Blaq on Blaq
Originally Posted by bnzuovr
Cool man good luck with everything. I c all these chicago guys on here but yet we all havent even meet up for like a meet or anything. We need to do something like that once the weather gets decent?
I agree. Me & the Wifey will be @ SuperCar Saturday May 1st 8-10 am. You comin'? If not, name the time, date & place my man!

Originally Posted by MB_Forever
Sorry to hear that bro, but no worries, looks like you're on route for a fast recovery
Thank you very much. I'm all repaired and back online thanks to those Wild & Craaazy guys @ Elite Performance Ltd! THANKS A BILLION, INCLUDING TED & MOM!!!!! Next time, less work & more Espiritu!!!

Originally Posted by mikey33
Damn dude, sorry. Parking close to the curb is an art, and I certainly am not good at art. Anyways, if you are buying a new cover might as well do the 63 conversion!
Thanks my man! I almost did get a slightly modified version of the E63 conversion, but got screwed by the manufacturer of the bumper I ordered. Found a brand new E55 bumper on ebay for $900 painted & local. Couldn't pass it up.

Originally Posted by 930chas
That just hurts to look at. Sorry brotha. But you will be back in business in no time. Interested to hear how your tune turns out.
Thanks brotha! I'm back up & in business. As far as my tune, and you can quote me on this;

Originally Posted by RRnelcheeze
that hurts me! sucks man
Consider us both healed!
Originally Posted by pearlpower
Very sorry to see, but am SO RELIEVED I am not the only one that goes through this %^&*( from time to time. As much as I strive or perfection, there are still times I park the bumper over them.
NEVER AGAIN! I'll be so far away from those f***in' blocks, I'll need binoculars to see em!

Originally Posted by BenzoBoi
Sorry to hear. When I was gone to Poland for 2 weeks with the Marine Corps. my mom took my car out to get groceries and that is how she DESTROYED my front bumper along with the WALD lip at the time. Ended up movin back to the AMG bumper and soon after bought the Euroteck CF lip to go along with it.

I hope everything werks out for you!
Thanks Sun. But you are so the man, that your Beast probably repaired itself so as not to embarrass you when you got back I still strive to be worthy.

Originally Posted by MB_Forever
I wish Mercedes upgraded their parktronic option to include sensing very low objects like this or a camera maybe to display lower than bumper level view on the nav screen or any other way to help avoid this in the future. You would think many people have damaged their bumpers before
I agree wholeheartedly and await your prototype.

Originally Posted by NORCAL///AMG
+1 ....this sucks...but it is the perfect time to do a 63 bumper conversion if you're into that...

GL
That definitely sucked, but all is just about well with the world now.

Originally Posted by CharlyE500
Oh man.... sorry to see your car like this. I bought the CF front lip and one of the reason havent install it yet because of afraid of parking. Even with Parking sensor, got to be careful.....
Thanks a million my man. I had my lip installed and am just gonna be anus puckering careful from now on!

Originally Posted by Yuille36
I know exactly where you coming from, I had this happen to me a few years ago, when I had my C230. It happened at work, and I was ******* pissed. I had the building maintenance guys pound that POS rebar into the concrete parking block. So this wouldn't happen to someone else. Now I avoid these things, I check first before pulling in.
If I could have found a maintenance guy, I probably would've pounded him.
Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
Sorry to hear about this my friend...

-m
Marcus My Man!!! What's happenin'? Comin' out this weekend? I heard your next mod is gonna be a set of ailerons!

Originally Posted by grantwoodtx
OUCH!
+ a billion!
Excellent advice going forward!
Originally Posted by benz_addict
Damn sorry to hear about that. Take the bumper off and just reattach it. As for the crack can't you just fill it and touch it up? Anyway all the best GL

LOL same!
Thanks for the advice but the damage was a little more significant that the pics were able to show. Was blessed to find a brand new bumper, painted for
$400 less than MB wanted for unprepped.

Well guys, the Beast is back up on all fours and with some aerodynamic armor mods, bionic eyes and no leash, almost ready to do battle. One of my HID fog bulbs arrived damaged so waiting on the replacement to arrive and still need to set the proper ride height (STAR). Prayerfully all of this will be accomplished this weekend. Hoping to get a quick, impromptu photo-shoot done this weekend as well. If this all happens, I'll post pics by Sunday evening. Thank you all very much for your concerns, comments, well wishes and advice while the beast was recovering.
And to Elite Performance Ltd.....,

Last edited by GedaBlaq; 04-27-2010 at 09:13 AM.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 W211 E55K, GL550
Sounds like a plan i was all set to go but im getting my headers done on my car so i wont get it back till sometime next week atleast thats what there telling me. So i won't make it, i don't know if you know that there is a benz meet in woodfield area on saturday as well at like 10:30. But ill keep you up on that off my friend enjoy SuperCar saturday i hope i can catch it next time around.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'13 GT-R AMS Alpha 9+, CLA45, E55
Originally Posted by GedaBlaq
Well guys, the Beast is back up on all fours and with some aerodynamic armor mods, bionic eyes and no leash, almost ready to do battle. One of my HID fog bulbs arrived damaged so waiting on the replacement to arrive and still need to set the proper ride height (STAR). Prayerfully all of this will be accomplished this weekend. Hoping to get a quick, impromptu photo-shoot done this weekend as well. If this all happens, I'll post pics by Sunday evening. Thank you all very much for your concerns, comments, well wishes and advice while the beast was recovering.
And to Elite Performance Ltd.....,
Sick! Can't wait to see the update!
Old 07-08-2010, 05:06 PM

2015 GLK350, 2021 Cadillac XT5
My daughter popped the bumper out once, then I turned around and did it in the parking lot where I work. The rebar was no more than 1/4" up. I had maintenance hammer it flush, but seriously, over half the bumpers showed some length of rebar. I took a good look at the bumper and it has scars all over it. I know the bumper design is an aerodynamic plus, but geez, MB. For the majority of us that simply love driving the car to and from work, would it have hurt to raise it an inch and be done with this issue?
Granted, I drove an SUV for years before downsizing, but I shouldn't have to get out and inspect a parking bumper before pulling in. Sorry to vent. But two repair charges in as many months is irritating.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 C63
i did that in my audi. sucks!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: F$#%in' Parking Block Rebar!!!!!