Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E55 Daily driver?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 10:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 e55 amg and 05 CL65 amg
I could use it as a DD, but elect not to. With potholes, salt, snow,idiots in parking lots, etc, it's nice sometimes just to hop in the SUV and not have to worry about anything... I mostly use it for a night on the town, to the golf course, or just crusing on a nice day. It could def. be used as a DD, I'm just a nut when it comes to my babies!!
Old 04-29-2010, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E350,2003 bmw e39 540ia, 2002 F150
cts-v

Originally Posted by way2evil
I DD'd my E63 for 3 years. Best car I ever drove. Comfortable, reliable, decent on gas for the power. Nice sound, good radio. I miss it alot. Unfortunately its American "counterpart" is not impressing me so far.
Yes I thought about the cts-v also, for the money seems like a great car (american M5) but wife will drive and she does'nt really drive stick in east valley traffic. She also said its one of the ugliest cars she has seen.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 BEAST
Originally Posted by i_am_amused
1) lucky for you my S55 can't read. It's not a "boat", it's a ship, thankyouverymuch

2) an E55 does not have "lots o' room". see 1) above. My coworkers prefer my S55 to the E55 of my manager because mine is "not as small"

3) you finally got one right! C-class anything == too effing small. My 6 yo daughter was complaining that the C300 loaner I had just yesterday was "tiny" and she is glad I didn't buy it because it's "too small". This coming from a little 6 year old girl.

Please don't take this post as a statement against the E55. I love them, but they just do not compare to an S55 for roominess and comfort. I would have bought one except I grew up driving big detroit steel (1972 Chevelle 4-door, anyone? How about a Fury III?) so I like a big interior.
Lol. I agre with you, the S55 has a MONSTROUS back seat. A 6' tall person can be sitting behind a 6' tall person and they'll both have enough legroom. I just personally can't drive something as big as the S class everyday. For me the E was the perfect compromise.

Originally Posted by det42phx
Thanks for the input.Even the smart a$$h@!!e. Point taken.Being a Detroit boy born bred I often lusted after German cars after working on the east coast and seeing them everywhere.That said when I purchased a BMW I thought they were indistructable , I didn't expect a exploding plastic radiator or wires in trunk harness to short out after only a few years. So I'm doing my research.Don"t like my question don't read it then you won't stress out over a morons question.
But really thanks whether sarcastic or serious.I got the message.
Ken
Lol. Don't worry I'm just kidding with you. I'm not really too much of an @$$h0le. lol. But seriously, get an E55 and daily drive the **** out of it. Best decision I ever made. I still remember the day I drove mine home for the first time, best feeling ever. And to be honest, the mileage isn't that bad considering my brother's CLS500 gets about 18 MPG and I get 12.5 in a car with a bigger engine plus a supercharger. Get it, you won't regret it. But if you do frequently have people in the backseat, consider an S55, your passengers will apprecciate the extra space the ship has to offer lol. Happy I am amused?
Old 04-30-2010, 12:12 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C63
Car is a great DD in my opinion. Nice, comfortable, and plenty of power on tap. IF you take care of the car then the car will last you a while, good purchase.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Formula Mazda, Beast Junior...400HP 135i
I DD'd my E63 for 3 years. Best car I ever drove. Comfortable, reliable, decent on gas for the power. Nice sound, good radio. I miss it alot. Unfortunately its American "counterpart" is not impressing me so far.
I hear you....I bought the wife a V and it lasted 6 months before it had to go away. It was fast and made great noises but at heart, just another American POS and that got annoying quickly. As much as I like the "concept" of American muscle cars, it seems that Mercedes AMG is the one company that has been able to deliver this "concept" perfectly almost every time.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:12 PM

1989 Toyota Tercel Coupé
Originally Posted by Blacksport350
I hear you....I bought the wife a V and it lasted 6 months before it had to go away. It was fast and made great noises but at heart, just another American POS and that got annoying quickly. As much as I like the "concept" of American muscle cars, it seems that Mercedes AMG is the one company that has been able to deliver this "concept" perfectly almost every time.
It really pisses me off. The "new" GM is still the same old ****. At least Ford is doing good. My SHO is great. Nice fit and finish, way better than the V.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
3-five-five/ TUNDRA/ 07 997 cab
It really pisses me off. The "new" GM is still the same old ****. At least Ford is doing good. My SHO is great. Nice fit and finish, way better than the V.
How does that SHO compare to the E63 in performance? I saw one today and it looked pretty good. Problem in a year or so, it will look just like another Avis rental!
Old 04-30-2010, 04:26 PM

1989 Toyota Tercel Coupé
Originally Posted by emoving
How does that SHO compare to the E63 in performance? I saw one today and it looked pretty good. Problem in a year or so, it will look just like another Avis rental!
I think it will jump a 63 off the line. IT wouldnt last long, the 63 would pull on it quickly after the jump. I cant see this car becoming a rental. Not a SHO at least, maybe the cheaper models. The interior is very nice, not like the typical crappy Taurus you are thinking of. It really doesn't show many characteristics of an American car, where as the V shows all of them.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55 AMG
All,

I think I can comment here. I drive my E55 to and from work daily 100 miles door to door. I've had it for 3 months now and already put on 10K miles to give you some perspective. This is in traffic, bumper to bumper at times, not some joyful country jaunt.

These things are made like bank vaults and it's been perfect for me. I'm a bigger guy too, 6'2 240 lbs and there is plenty of room no issues there. I often get 20-21 MPG which really is amazing when you think about it.

I'm coming from a Dodge Durango SUV which was like driving a sofa to work everyday so I would be 100% honest if the E55 was not doing it for me.

So I could not recommend this car stronger for a daily driver and the funnest part is blowing tail gaiter into the weeds when they get annoying. Just tap the hyperspace pedal, err...sorry gas pedal....and they are a distance memory in about 3 secs.

Love this car!!!

Alex
Old 05-01-2010, 12:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
E55 w/ goods, Z32 Project underway
One persons daily drive may be completely different compared to others. My daily drive is 400 miles a DAY! Many do not drive that in a week. Changes things. Average MPG cruising is 18.7 with a few power spurts here and there. I take the Maxima instead.

Last edited by pearlpower; 05-01-2010 at 12:24 AM.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:11 AM

2005 Silver E55
Originally Posted by pearlpower
One persons daily drive may be completely different compared to others. My daily drive is 400 miles a DAY! Many do not drive that in a week. Changes things. Average MPG cruising is 18.7 with a few power spurts here and there. I take the Maxima instead.

Interesting point. I to would suggest some Japanese LUXO if you want to just be lulled away and get from Point A to Point B with a thoughtless existence. The E55 is more than that, its knowing you have options , options of changing the suspension when you going down crappy back roads and the wife doesnt appreciate taunt suspension. just hit the comfort button. then change back when your running down the twisties on Sunday sport II works pretty well. Its about dropping down 1 1/2 when you need the aggressive look and sport 19s or 20s. The interior is great, better than any American car I have ever owned and sometimes sorry to say I have owned alot. Japanese interior is all show and no go. Thin material not support for anything other than highway use. Both MB and BMW have bolsters, padded seat, thick soft beautiful leather that wears well. I have not ever bought a new MB or BMW but you would swear the cars were brand new every time I buy one used. Most are 3-4 years old. Now when it comes to Power the E55 has more than any DD would every need, I am new to the E55 but not to big power, my supercharged 98 Vette still inches my E55 by alittle but it only seats two and not near as nice of a ride or interior. Even though it is a MB I still think it has some stealth factor compared to both of my EVOs which stood out tremendously ( fun cars though). Sorry to be so long winded but for me it was an easy choice find a great deal on an E55 and sell off all the other DD I had. I still keep the convertible , Hot rod project car and the family parade car, you know the spice of life thing.

Last edited by mikeevo; 05-01-2010 at 10:16 AM.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:18 PM

E55
Heck yes it's a good daily driver. I bought our '06 E55 for my wife 13 months ago and I just wish it was my daily driver and not hers. I get to drive it on weekends or weeks like this upcoming week where she's out of town on business. I would probably get too many speeding tickets if it were my daily driver so I just live vicariously through my wife and enjoy it when I get a chance. I get to drive it to work tomorrow and hopefully the road will be clear and I can hit 120 on the stretch where I can see far enough ahead to know there are no cops out Fortunately the backseat is big enough that it shouldn't be an issue getting baby #1 in and out when she shows up in a few months.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 S55 (SOLD, miss it every day), 2009 GL550
Originally Posted by XCstud
Heck yes it's a good daily driver. I bought our '06 E55 for my wife 13 months ago and I just wish it was my daily driver and not hers. I get to drive it on weekends or weeks like this upcoming week where she's out of town on business. I would probably get too many speeding tickets if it were my daily driver so I just live vicariously through my wife and enjoy it when I get a chance. I get to drive it to work tomorrow and hopefully the road will be clear and I can hit 120 on the stretch where I can see far enough ahead to know there are no cops out Fortunately the backseat is big enough that it shouldn't be an issue getting baby #1 in and out when she shows up in a few months.
Hopefully you won't be surprised by a cruiser popping up over the horizon as you top 120. Here in Virginia they have mobile radar, and 120 mph could get you about a month of automatic jail time.

Why not just take it to a track while your wife is away? She'd never know, and I promise we won't tell her.