W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to buy an E55, need some advice.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 09:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
05 E55 AMG
Looking to buy an E55, need some advice.

What up people, so I'm looking to buy an E55, I found a flint grey 06 E55 with 55k at a local bmw dealership. They are asking just under 30k for it. I looked at the car yesterday and it looks to be in great shape besides a few rock chips in the front grill/hood area. What do you guys think? is 30k a decent price for this car? If I offered them 29 OTD would they take it? car is being sold as is, no warranty. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
His wife crazy
Get the maintenance history and a PPI. 29 out the door would be a good deal.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:26 AM

05 E55 AMG
Thats the thing that has me kinda worried, I checked the carfax report and it only has 1 service record on file, no accidents. Now I know that the person who owned it could have taken it somewhere where they don't report it to carfax but who would buy a $90k car and not take it to the dealership to get serviced. Is there anywhere else I can find out what service has been done to this car? Gunna go look at it tommorow again,
Old 05-14-2010, 01:28 AM

05 E55 AMG
BTW, the BMW dealership said it passed their inspection.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:46 AM
Esh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55
Originally Posted by Nasty50-Five
BTW, the BMW dealership said it passed their inspection.
So you're saying that the car passed the inspection from the dealership selling the car? That's like saying that the car Joe down the road is selling passed Joe's inspection. If it's an as-is warranty, you want to take it to an independent shop and have them do a pre-purchase inspection.

Have the Indy telly you what's left on the brakes and tires as well as shop estimates on any and all cosmetic/mechanical items needing attention or might in the first year of ownership. Then use that to negotiate with if you still want to buy the car.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:52 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2005 E55 Wagon, 2017 C63S Cab, 1986 560SL
Hmm. Their inspection. You mean the 'we put it up for sale' inspection? Never trust a dealer.

Get an independent PPI.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'13 GT-R AMS Alpha 9+, CLA45, E55
Just get a PPI to source any problems. What options does it have?

Miles are a little high for my taste but if it passes the PPI, just get an extended warranty and all is good.

GL
Old 05-14-2010, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Like the folks said above, get an indie MB shop to to do a PPI on it. Also, take the VIN to your local MB dealership and they can do a look up to see of any work has been done and to see if all the recall work has been done.

Don't buy it without doing either one...
Old 05-14-2010, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Researching E55
Hey all:

Been lurking for a while...first time post.

I'm in the market for one of these cars too. In fact, I checked out this one online as well (at least, I am pretty sure its the same one). I couldn't find any MB service records on the car. Called three dealerships including the one that orginally sold it.

I can't imagine buying a 90K+ car and not having it services with MB. How common is that?

Sorry didn't mean to hijack. And not trying to talk the OP out of buying it. I'm just looking for as much info as possible while I educate myself about the E55.

Many thanks,

MG
Old 05-14-2010, 07:41 PM

05 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by mgreene
Hey all:

Been lurking for a while...first time post.

I'm in the market for one of these cars too. In fact, I checked out this one online as well (at least, I am pretty sure its the same one). I couldn't find any MB service records on the car. Called three dealerships including the one that orginally sold it.

I can't imagine buying a 90K+ car and not having it services with MB. How common is that?

Sorry didn't mean to hijack. And not trying to talk the OP out of buying it. I'm just looking for as much info as possible while I educate myself about the E55.

Many thanks,

MG
LOL! No worries man, but I know what you mean, who doesn't get a $90k car serviced at the MB dealership?, just doesn't make any sense. Thats the only reason why I'm hesitant to make an offer on this car, and the paint touch ups on the hood, I know I would see that every day and it would bug the sh*t out of me. Good luck though!